OT: "made" at work today

Info, pictures, advice...
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

You're also, IMHO, a very good writer. Maybe a change in career is in order.
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

Good advice bzinggg.

An ugly scene will have no positive result. If you are calm and reasonable they might even 2nd guess themselves on whether they over reacted or not and perhaps reconcider their actions. My workplace has a big gunbuster sign on the door. I've never heard of anyone testing the water on the issue. I know there are at least 4 of us there with CCW licenses. I wish you luck on the outcome. You are 23 and believe it or not in the long run this will only be a small bump in your road. Hang in there barnett3006
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

truth,
I work/worked for Sam's Club.

carguy and PshootR,
I highly doubt that talking/threatening about a lawsuit would save my job here. Although this is discrimination, there is no law here in FL that prevents employers from firing employees that choose to exercise their constitutional right to bear arms. Having a lawyer would help possibly, although not a criminal defense lawyer but a civil defense lawyer. My problem here is that any lawyer would have to go entirly Pro Bono up against the corporate giant that is Walmart.

Im pretty sure Im canned, and if I am I am going to ask to resign instead of being fired. I'll will ask about a letter of recomendation based on my job performance as well (not to sure about that one though).

for you lawyers out there: Because discrimination based on religion is illegal, and the practice of religion is constitutionaly protected by the First Amendment. Could one argue that sense the First Amendment is part of a document, that all articles of that document must logically be included and protected by any and all anti-discrimination laws (im not sure how to properly word this) and because the FL State constituion also protects these rights that the states constitution also protects against this kind of discrimination?

well, its past 2 in the morning and I need to try to get some sleep for my long, long day today. Not sure how much sleep im going to get in anticipation of this phone call im gonna get.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

thanks to all of you for the advice and support.
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by rlj102468 »

Sorry to hear about your luck, I to work at a company that does not allow carry onto their property. My night job is in a bad local so I tend to break the rules, knowing that if I get busted I will more than likely get canned. I have written my reps . in the Government about the laws tabeled this past month or so. I got the chain response that they send to everyone who e-mails them, but I know at least I have done something and will continue to bug them to keep my right to bear arms and protect myself to and from work, and even while there. Hope all works out for you. Just keep cool and know when to pick your fights!

C-Ya, Bobby J. ;)
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Just got the call. Im canned. Asked about being allowed to resign, was told they will get back to me.
tmann11

Post by tmann11 »

You might want to check into unemployment benefits at this time. I'm not sure what your state laws are in regards to employment, but it seems you have a case. If I'm not mistaken, you were let go without warning and show a steady work history with the organization and therefor should have the right to pursue unemployment benefits. I know this isn't the solution, but it might keep you out of a bind.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Ask for a letter of recommendation based on your work performance.
saands

Post by saands »

Bummer ...

If they do let you go, I would advise that you don't make up any stories in future interviews about why you were carrying ... if you were unaware of the company policy, then you could say that you were unaware ... if you have said anything to your current supervisor or HR rep that you WERE aware of the policy and just ignored it, then don't even tell an interviewer that you were unaware. I interview a LOT of people and I will forgive a LOT of things in their past, but I would not forgive dishonesty in the present. If you spin some tale about "I forgot I was carrying" and they call to verify (which they likely WILL), then your story won't match.

I like the idea of finding a case of policy infringement that your management has ignored and presenting that as a precedent for leniency. I would suggest looking for safety violations as they are common ... and commonly ignored, even though they ought not to be. If you can plausibly deny knowledge of the policy, that would go a long way toward making it easier for them to forgive your violation of it ... willful violation is a lot harder to pardon and is a risk that the violator ultimately bears. Reiterating that noone was hurt, and emphasizing your complete willingness to follow the policy in the future, now that you understand it might make it go more smoothly.

Good luck,

Saands
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Agreed; any explanation you give to future employers will have to match with how you explained the event to this employer.

I worked for a couple years at an international engineering firm that did a lot of Federal work. There was a company-wide policy that you couldn't bring firearms into the parking lot. These folks had done their homework on enforcing that requirement, and there was no tolerance for violations. I believe your local shop contacted HQ before the decision was made, HQ made the decision and will stand on national policy, and such things as finding other events that were locally overlooked, or hiring lawyers for a discrimination suit, just won't work, in my opinion.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Not much I can add--as a lawyer, I would note that the exercise of even constitutionally-protected rights can be the basis for a termination--especially in an "at-will" employmernt situation. I would make sure that the "canning" was done in accordance with whatever written policies the company may have--for example, if the policy manual or the handbook says that an employee will only be fired after going thru other levels of discipline, such as warnings and write-ups, then you weren't fired according to policy and you might have an actionable case. If no such policies exist, or were followed, my guess is that's pretty much that. Modern jurusprudence being what it is, there's not much hope of equating the exercise of Second Amendment rights with the subjects of the anti-discrimination laws
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

barnett3006

You might get in contact with the NRA from what I read, they are working on cases such as yours

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Norm,
I'll be emailing the NRA today.
tmann11

Post by tmann11 »

Please continue to let us know how this goes for you. We all are concerned and interested in learning from what you went through. Thanks and sorry, again.

Thomas
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Email to the NRA just went out.