20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Info, pictures, advice...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by normsutton »

When The Media Gets It Right.
ABC's acclaimed news program 20/20 recently covered the hot topic of gun control. The piece wasn't the typical propaganda on how guns equate to rises in violent crime, but instead, a honest look at the issue. In this episode, 20/20 dispels many of the common myths and falsehoods of gun control proponents.
View the short video here

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3149487

norm
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by carguy »

I saw that friday night when it was aired. Nice to see some national coverage of what we've been saying for years! Good info, presented well just not enough of it. Hopefully not to little too late but the start of something bigger.
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by duggi60 »

Simple solution -- don't elect liberals!
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by nbender »

Thanks for posting that norm. I'd heard about the episode.

A common rebuttal to gun ownership (and it was read on the episode) is that we have the highest rate of crime amoung "Civilized countries", or some such statement. I think that may be an urban legend, but I don't have the time to compile the stats right now.
zbysiu23

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by zbysiu23 »

Australian Gun Law Update

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts...

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced
by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by
our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,

Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent ;

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.

(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Americans, before it's too late!

FORWARD TO EVERYONE ON YOUR EMAIL LIST.

DON'T BE A MEMBER OF THE SILENT MAJORITY

BE ONE OF THE VOCAL MINORITY WHO WON'T LET THIS HAPPEN IN THE U.S.A

</undisclosed-recipient:;@unspecified-domain>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.23/740 - Release Date: 3/30/2007 1:15 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See what's free at AOL.com.
Last edited by zbysiu23 on May 9th, 2007, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmafan

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by mmafan »

Thanks for posting that norm. I'd heard about the episode.

A common rebuttal to gun ownership (and it was read on the episode) is that we have the highest rate of crime amoung "Civilized countries", or some such statement. I think that may be an urban legend, but I don't have the time to compile the stats right now.
We do have a higher crime rate then say Japan, but we also have a much higher poverty rate.

Crime rates are almost alway correlated with poverty rates, I mean where are you more nervous, inner city Detroit or Beverly Hills?

Generally the the greater amount of poor people in a country, the greater amount of crime it has, for example Mexico, Brazil and Columbia have crime rates that make ours look like child's play, they also have poverty rates that do the same.

Where as Switzlerland has almost no crime compared to the US, but they also have much much less poverty, they even have more guns they we do to.

With a few exceptions generally crime rates follow poverty rates, the great depression caused a massive crime wave in this country. I mean it just makes sense, why follow the rules when the rules dont offer you anything in return?

If this country wants to get serious about reducing crime it will work to reduce its poverty rates, banning guns will do nothing, if it doesnt have the opposite effect of increasing crime.

Ha ha, I am a pro-gun populist, Teddy Roosevelt is my idol!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by papabear »

Thanks Norm for the video, I missed it. Way to go 20/20........ ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
drogers

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by drogers »

I have been trying to come up with factual information about gun ownership. In doing so I found this site to be very good.
http://www.gunfacts.info/
It offers 91 pages in a pdf format.
redfestiva

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by redfestiva »

I applaud 20/20 for airing this. Documented truth is not debatable.
2001flhr

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by 2001flhr »

Whether you agree or not, it's an interesting lesson in history. Something to think about...

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938. From 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent. Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up
300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns! While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear our president, governors or other politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Last edited by 2001flhr on May 9th, 2007, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by carguy »

I agree with everything you said except that 56 million were exterminated in the 20th century "because"of gun control. That isn't correct. Gun control (confiscation) was a tool used by certified maniacs that gained power and embarked on a rule that in some instances included the specific extermination of a race / religious group of people. There was alot of apathy out there that allowed them to gain power and once in power to actually commit these attrocities. Gun control definitely made it easier but certainly didn't cause it to happen. You certainly can't believe that if Hitler were unable to have eliminated the private ownership of firearms in Germany in the 30's that he would have changed his mind and not attempted to take over the world. It would have been that much more difficult for him to achieve the objectives that he eventually did.

But those are frightening numbers and I like you will maintain a vigil to keep anything similar from ever happening again especially in our country.
mmafan

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by mmafan »

Excellent posts, I know I would prefer living in a free society with some crime to an authoritarian police state any day.

With freedom comes responsibility, some people will always struggle with that, but I find it much preferable to uncheck governmental power.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by devlinfaust »

I think mmafan put it very well.

By the way, have you ever noticed how many of these shooting sprees occur in "no gun" zones. The Amish School tragedy--no guns. Virgina Tech, at least as far as I know, a no-gun zone. In my state, I am forbidden to carry a gun into a school. The problem with this policy is that while it "sounds good" to some, it makes schools or places that are believed to be no-gun zones targets.

It's too bad that some kid or teacher at that Amish school didn't give that creep the surprise of his life, by taking a P-64 out of his backpack or whatever and stopping that guy before he did what he did. Same for VA Tech and Columbine and all the rest.

If you are defenselss, the odds are pretty good that somewhere at some time, someone is goign to take advantage of you for his or her own purposes.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by carguy »

Gun Free zones should simply post signs that read "Crime Zone".

It is unfortunate that we all too often leave those that need our help or protection the most, defenseless due to the politically correct or the vocal minority that thinks they know what is best for everyone else.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

20/20 ON GUN CONTROL

Post by devlinfaust »

Unfortunately, Carguy, I think you are 100% correct. It makes no sense to me whatsoever, yet it seems to be the same pattern over and over again--and making those mistakes continually literally costs some people their lives and ruins the lives of countless others.

It's all so absurb and tragic....