One in the tube?

Info, pictures, advice...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

One in the tube?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I'm uncomfortable carrying a round in the tube, decocked with the hammer down on my P-64. I know it doesn't make sense but I am. Does anyone else feel this way or am I just being totally paranoid :-[.
searcher36

One in the tube?

Post by searcher36 »

I've been carrying mine with 6 in the mag, one in the tube and hammer down. I can understand why you feel uncomfortable doing it. I remember when I had my first 1911, I refused to carry it cocked and locked. Just took some time to get comfortable with it cocked and locked.

Rob
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

One in the tube?

Post by normsutton »

gunney

I feel the same way on all auto's , I do carry them with the hammer back , it makes it easier to rank the slide

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on May 7th, 2007, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
redfestiva

One in the tube?

Post by redfestiva »

I have carried with one in the tube with the safety on. I am bit uncomfortable doing so. I have concidered carrying this way only when in a higher risk environment but I've read if you carry in two different ways that you can get confused at a "moment of truth" situation and screw up. Question to the experts: How reliable is the decocker safety on a P-64? Can I trust it completely not to fire until the safety is flipped off? Logic tells me it is safe, the double action pull alone would make it next to impossible to fire even with safety off while in a proper holster so with safety on it should be safe. What do the experts think??????????
vinnie

One in the tube?

Post by vinnie »

I pulled a bullet out of the case and tested mine the day I got it. Yes, it will feed an empty case from the mag. That impressed me. Then with the case and live primer in the chamber I tried to get it to fire.
No luck, I stopped short of actual damage to the gun, but I was impressed. If jarring or banging around is going to cause an AD I will be toast well before this gun fires without a trigger pull.
saands

One in the tube?

Post by saands »

No expert here, but IIRC, the safety actually locks the firing pin on the P64 ... it doesn't get much safer than that. That being said, I usually decock with the safety/decocker but still ride my thumb on the hammer ... not so much to prevent a discharge as to cushion the shock of the hammer crashing into the safety ... I imagine that this is overkill, but I have seen Walther PP safeties break after use as a decocker and I don't want to find myself in the position of searching for a spare safety ... it'll probably cost me half what I paid for the P64!

Saands
kempin

One in the tube?

Post by kempin »

I feel very comfortable with one in the tube on a p-64. (that, of course, with the understanding that it is still a pistol with a chambered live round.) In my mind, the safety is redundant, with the hammer positively blocked, and also decocked. I can't think of how it could discharge if it was holstered and on safe. True, I suppose there is a mathematical possibility that this system could fail and lead to an AD, though I cannot think how; nevertheless, we are talking about carrying a firearm for personal defense. I'm sure the risk of an AD with a P-64 is far less than the risk of not having a round chambered in an emergency.

Just my never-to-be-humble opinion.

-Kempin
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

One in the tube?

Post by papabear »

I feel very comfortable carrying with one in the tube with my P-64 and with the decocker off, the DA pull is my safety when carried in a holster with the hammer [triangular] down, cock it and fire. I "Point Shoot", using my mind instead of my eyes, that takes practice, I don't know if I will have time to rack the slide or take aim. I always carried in Condition One with my .Colt 45acp SA, one in the tube and cocked and locked. For me it's all in what you practice, I carry the same way all the time, no guess work, just draw and fire, practice that every time I go to the range.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

One in the tube?

Post by grayfox »

I carry with one in the tube and the safety off. In a shoot-out, you don't need to try to remember if the safety is "off" or "on". If you don't carry one in the tube, then you are behind the curve, in a life or death matter, you need every advanage. Just a blink of an eye can get you killed. The more you pratice & carry, the more you will feel at ease carrying. If you really worry about this type of carry, then by all means get a wheelgun.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

One in the tube?

Post by anjdrifter »

I carried a wheel gun most of my time on the job and it was full 6 never left an empty chamber... there is no safety on the wheelgun...so I have no problem with one in tube with no saftety on the trigger pull on my guns were a lot lighter then the 64 in da mode and about the same in sa which is the only consideration for either ie the hammer going into that mode by accident,,,
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

One in the tube?

Post by grayfox »

anjdrifter,
I still love my wheelguns, like you, I carried one for many years.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

One in the tube?

Post by devlinfaust »

Anjdrifter makes an excellent point! People get worried about an "automatic" being carried chambered, but there's really no difference between a double-action semi auto and a double-action revolver in this regard. Both are ready to go when the trigger is pulled. Accidents can happen, for sure. However, if you need to use your P-64 at a critical time, and forget you haven't got one in the chamber, or somehow the slide gets caught in a sleeve or something when you rack it at a critical time, these could be pretty bad 'accidents' as well.

I'd say check your pistol to make sure it's in good working order. If it is, the DA on these are pretty hard, and it is difficult to conceive that one of the P-64's in good working order would be more prone to have an accident than say, a Glock, Springfield XD, Smith M & P, Sig DAO, Beretta 92 DAO, Kel-Tec--well, you get the picture.

Of course, you have to do what is comfortable for you personally. Just for myself, carrying chambered with the P-64 is something I do with only normal concern--certainly not worry.
brigade

One in the tube?

Post by brigade »

For me when carrying concealed it is round in chamber, hammer down of course and off safe.
zbysiu23

One in the tube?

Post by zbysiu23 »

Safety/decocker on the P-64 blocks the fireing pin... also disengage the trigger.. so it is very unlikely to have unplanned fireing event..
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

One in the tube?

Post by himmel »

One other consideration, probably a bit paranoid--but if the first notice I have of an attack is a disabling blow/shot/whatever to one arm, I want to be able to bring my gun into play with just one hand--so i carry with a chambered round, decocked with my P64 or Mak, cocked and locked with my Zastava
Last edited by himmel on May 8th, 2007, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.