One in the tube?

Info, pictures, advice...
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

One in the tube?

Post by rlj102468 »

Hey, Where are all the nay sayers now. When I said I carried chambered with the safety off, I got all kinds of dont do that. LOL! I'm just glad to see others feel safe with the P-64 ready to go. I still say that the DA pull is a fine safety and I will take my chances on not dropping it just the wrong way so it might go off. Enjoy.

C-Ya, Bobby J.
zbysiu23

One in the tube?

Post by zbysiu23 »

Carrying with the safety on (decocked hammer) is very safe...
Some guys carried with one in the chamber safety off ready to fire with the pin exposed yet the hammer down..that is less safe still people do it...with the DA as the only safety...(gotta watch the the hammer though..)
whatever one feels comfortable with and how ready one has to be...that is your choice...
Modern handguns with decockers like the Sig do not have separate safety those are ready to shoot in DA ..the difference is however that the decocked hammer does not rest on the pin as an added safety ......and the DA pull is very soft...yet those are made to be carried that way...
P-64 was meant to be chambered and decocked and carried with the safety on... and engaged (safery off) while pulled out of the holster..
Last edited by zbysiu23 on May 8th, 2007, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9x18shooter

One in the tube?

Post by 9x18shooter »

The hammer cannot contact the firing pin unless the trigger is in the rear position. I think that would be as safe as a modern wheelgun. Am I wrong? 6+1 safety off in a holster
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

One in the tube?

Post by devlinfaust »

Himmel makes another great point. I tend to think there might be more danger in carrying without one 'ready to go', in the chamber, than the danger of having one going off accidently, when the chances are so low that woudl happen--providing the gun is in good working order and if the shooter feels comfortable with it.
tmann11

One in the tube?

Post by tmann11 »

I'm very comfortable carrying a round in the chamber, de-cocked with safety on. I had my
P-64 refinished so the safety is smooth and I practice using it in the range like this from day one. I guess I'm much more comfortable with my P-64 with a round in the chamber more so than my Glock...I've never liked carrying a live round with the Glock, not much of a saftey on that pistol. But, each pistol has it's own use and I mostly carry my Glock in the car while using the P-64 as my CCW.
steelblade

One in the tube?

Post by steelblade »

I pulled a bullet out of the case and tested mine the day I got it. Yes, it will feed an empty case from the mag. That impressed me. Then with the case and live primer in the chamber I tried to get it to fire.
No luck, I stopped short of actual damage to the gun, but I was impressed. If jarring or banging around is going to cause an AD I will be toast well before this gun fires without a trigger pull.
Did you have the safety on or off for this?

I saw that the safety completely blocks access to the pin from the hammer, I trust that completely, as long as it's not broken of course. I am just not yet sure of any transfer of energy if the hammer is struck when the safety is off.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

One in the tube?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks guys,
I always glean a few gems of information when I need to ask the group for help. The fact that the firing pin is locked and recessed with the decocker/safety on gives me a lot more confidence in the design, it's something that I wasn't aware of. The trigger being disengaged is just more icing on the cake.
Here Is a question for you folks who have been around for a while. Has anyone ever removed the cocking serrations from the hammer the way they bob hammers on wheel guns? Would there be enough mass left to assure strikes that would ignite the rounds every time? That is the only thing I can see that would make the gun more snag free.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on May 10th, 2007, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

One in the tube?

Post by garry »

I thought my pistol was broken until i realized that the safety had been engaged ! hahaha This pistol WILL NOT FIRE in the safe position. period. G
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

One in the tube?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

OK guys,
Spent the whole day carrying with one round ready to go, lets say it felt better, almost comfortable. Thanks to every one who felt compelled to reply, it helped............. G.R.