Been thinking about buying a P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
mmafan

Post by mmafan »

I love my bulgarian makarov, but the price of a 2nd one keeps going up and up.

I have been thinking about purchasing a P-64.

I am aware of the bad double action pull and sharp recoil.

I know wolff makes springs to help this situation.

Which is better the 18, 20, or 22 lb for the recoil spring replacment.

Which is better or the 17, 18, 19 and 20 Lb hammer spring?

Is there anything else that can be done to help the double action trigger and recoil?

Once the the above are fixes are done, how does the gun compare to a bulgarian makarov?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by mmafan on May 7th, 2007, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

mmafan

WECLCOME
20, or 22 lb for the recoil spring replacement.

18, 19 and 20 Lb hammer spring I think the 17 # might be to light
I have the 18# hammer and the 20# recoil springs in mine but its all up to you

recoil wood grips from http://bondgrips.jeffreyjr.net/ or http://dnmars.43i.net/ help

I heard tell that the P-64 shoots better than the MAK but really don't know haven't shot my MAK yet
NORM
Last edited by normsutton on May 7th, 2007, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

I don't have the Bulgarian, but I have a Russian Mak in .380. The Russian Mak is a fine pistol--I've never had a jam or misfire. But it's not as accurate as either of my P-64's. The double action pull on my Russian Mak is only nominally better than the P-64's. I would say that with the wolff springs that it moves the P-64 to being about equal to the Mak in double action pull.

The springs have helped to tame some of the 'bite' of the recoil of my P-64's, but it's still noticeable. When you get used to holding the pistol the right way, it's not so bad, though.

Other than the accuracy, I'd say that the next bigggest advantage that the P-64 has over the Makarov is that is more concealable. That's not to take anything away from the Makarov, which is an excellet pistol.

Good luck on your choice!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

mmafan

First welcome aboard, glad to have ya!!!

Second, I have a Bulgarian Mak and a E.G. Mak, and they are both excellent pistols, but for accuracy, the P-64 will take them to task, at 10 yards all my P-64's are more accurate than either of my Mak's, however, I wouldn't want to live off the difference, they are two different pistols and I enjoy them both for what they are. My CCW pistol is a P-64.

As for the springs, can't help you there, I haven't changed a thing on any of my P-64's [have had 5] now just two, only changes I have made other than grips is shooting them all at least 500 rds each and now for me the DA is just fine, Norm's suggestion of getting different grips is a great suggestion, both of those guys make excellent grips and will cut down on the recoil, both preceived and real. Be careful though, the P-64's are habit forming, you can't just have one it seems.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
mmafan

Post by mmafan »

mmafan

WECLCOME
20, or 22 lb for the recoil spring replacement.

18, 19 and 20 Lb hammer spring I think the 17 # might be to light
I have the 18# hammer and the 20# recoil springs in mine but its all up to you

recoil wood grips from http://bondgrips.jeffreyjr.net/ or http://dnmars.43i.net/ help

I heard tell that the P-64 shoots better than the MAK but really don't know haven't shot my MAK yet
NORM
I have a ton of Wolf 100 grain 9x18 sitting around for my makarov, I was thinking about getting the 22 lb recoil spring and the 18lb hammer. Would this cause any problems with the 100 grain Wolf ammo?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

mmafan

its not the springs in the P-64, its with wolf ammo and its in all their ammo I have a problem with , I've heard and seen to many damage guns because of wolf ammo and I know others swear by it, but
there's not a lot of parts out there for these guns so why take the chance on cheap ammo

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
mmafan

Post by mmafan »

mmafan

its not the springs in the P-64, its with wolf ammo and its in all their ammo I have a problem with , I've heard and seen to many damage guns because of wolf ammo and I know others swear by it, but
there's not a lot of parts out there for these guns so why take the chance on cheap ammo

NORM
hmm, my makarov eats the wolf ammo like its candy

does the p-64 have trouble with this load? I have a case of 100 grain wolf sitting around I would hate to buy a pistol and then find out I cant use it in the pistol
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

I really like my Bulgarian Makarov. I like my Baikal Mak too. However, once I got my P64 working well, it is most likely my best accuracy 9x18 pistol. I can almost always shoot tighter groups at 7 and 15 yards (the 2 setups at my range) than with my CZ82 or my Bulgarian Mak.

It takes some interest and work to get one running well unless you are very lucky. I changed my recoil spring and my hammer spring with the ones from Wolff. I recommend a 20# recoil since the 22# would not compress enough to fit on my P64. I may try to modify the 22# spring at some point.

I put a 18# hammer spring on mine and its probably best for most folks, but I'd like a lighter one so I'll get a 17# next order from Wolff.

I think for most the 20# recoil/18# hammer spring are the best pair.

The 20# recoil doesn't reduce the felt recoil that much for me if at all. The hammer spring lightens up the DA a lot.

I had to do safety work on my P64 to fix it too. You may need to polish your feed ramp since they come in unissued condition from what most people say on here.

Stripping and cleaning your P64 once you get it can be trouble for some, but just soaking it in degreasers and lube probably works well in addition to tearing it down to clean things.

I think it would be easy to get help here since there is so much expertise! I learned a lot from reading here.

I really believe my P64 is the most accurate due to the way I hold it and the hook on the mag bottom.

Verify how many mags come with your P64 since the biggest seller out there seems to be SOG, but they sell it with one mag only now. I need 3 minimum for any pistol.

It does not have a slide lock, so keep in mind, smooth running ammo is critical since you don't want to have to figure out how to unjam it if you run with semi-reliable ammo.

I think the P64 is a great carry pistol. I would trust my health and safety with it using tested ammo that doesn't jam. For me, that is S&B commercial or military FMJ, Silver bear FMJ, Silver bear HP, and Mesko.

Check out the post below if you want to get hooked:

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1178196657
Last edited by steve98664 on May 8th, 2007, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
mecenas

Post by mecenas »

I am going to throw in one more choice - almost everyone forgets:

FEG SMC 918.

It is exactly the size of P64,
It has a far better double action trigger pull
It has the magazine release button on the left side behind the trigger (like the Walther PPK) therefore faster to reload
It has aluminum frame and therefore it is much lighter and more suitable for pocket carry
Still can be found on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica for a very reasonable price.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

But like the PA63 the aluminum frame in the FEGs case makes for even worse recoil than the p64. WIth some spring adjustments the P64 is as good or better than anything in it's approx. size.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I'm not sure on this but I think the original FEG SMC 9x18 and .380's had the aluminum frame and steel slide, but the later one's were all steel. I'm sure Norm can enlighten us on this because I think he has the military version FEG R61 and maybe one in .22 also, I remember something he posted about them.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

papabear

I have 2 BR-61's and a LR-61 ( all 3 have steel frames) these were made special for http://www.ssmedwi.com/ when they got the contract to be the importer for http://www.fegarmy.hu/index.php?p=guns&lang=en and since SSME took over all frame's are steel all the ones before are of .1% Titanium to the aluminum alloy . now there were some models that were all aluminum alloy,I'm not sure witch ones they are but you can find out from here http://www.sunblest.net/gun/index.htm . all the FEG 9 x 18 guns use 380 mags that's why the big bullets jam . the 363 diameter bullets work very well . 364 bullets don't they tend to jam in the mags

pix of BR-61 and a P-64

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Thanks Norm, I knew you would know, also I sent you a PM

papabear
Last edited by papabear on May 8th, 2007, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER