Problems Possibly from Springs?

Info, pictures, advice...
jed

Problems Possibly from Springs?

Post by jed »

I changed the hammer spring and recoil spring a few months back on my p-64 using the wolff springs. Sometimes the rounds don't fully chamber now and the magazine pops out after the last round. Is this possibly from one or both of the springs being too strong or too weak? The DA trigger pull is really nice now compared to what it was before I changed the springs.
Getsum92

Re: Problems Possibly from Springs?

Post by Getsum92 »

I only replace the DA spring to an 18lb I left the recoil spring stock and have had no issues. So maybe the recoil spring is to soft?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I had the problem with the mag dropping after the last round and changed back to the stock recoil spring and no problems.

I left the light hammer spring in.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

jed wrote:I changed the hammer spring and recoil spring a few months back on my p-64 using the wolff springs. Sometimes the rounds don't fully chamber now and the magazine pops out after the last round. Is this possibly from one or both of the springs being too strong or too weak? The DA trigger pull is really nice now compared to what it was before I changed the springs.
Could you please specify exactly what poundage springs you went with? Wolff makes a variety of both.

People have also reported light strikes and the magazine dropping out using the 17 lb Hammer Spring.

Also, probably not related to you problem, but did you install the Firing Pin Spring that came with the Recoil Spring?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
jed

Post by jed »

I used the 18 lbs reduced power hammer spring and the 18 lbs factory recoil spring from the Wolff pack.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Weasel640 wrote:People have also reported light strikes and the magazine dropping out using the 17 lb Hammer Spring.
THIS ^^^^ I had the 17# hammer spring in one P64 that dropped the mag. I changed all to the 18# to be safe and no problems, since. I think someone said the 22# recoil spring could cause mags to drop, too, but I'm not sure.

As for rounds not fully chambering, that could be caused by lacquer buildup in the chamber opening. That steel ammo had a bad habit of leaving a lot of residue. A GOOD cleaning (wire brushes, solvent - the works) should help cure that issue or at least make it better. Clean the feed ramp, too. Good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes I was using the 22lb recoil spring and had the mag dropping on the last round.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jed

Post by jed »

I thought I might have had the magazines swapped on my 2 P-64s, but after switching them out and test firing both guns that wasn't the problem. I took the magazines apart for both guns and cleaned them, although they were already pretty clean. The 1969 mag is on the left and the 1970 magazine is on the right. The feedlips look shorter on the 1970 magazine.
Attachments
IMG_2216.JPG
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

jed wrote:I thought I might have had the magazines swapped on my 2 P-64s, but after switching them out and test firing both guns that wasn't the problem ... The 1969 mag is on the left and the 1970 magazine is on the right. The feedlips look shorter on the 1970 magazine.
It has been said it makes a difference. It could but you couldn't prove it by me. I have 3 - a 1977, 1975 and 1968. My 2 grandsons and I go together and in the chaos that results during "P64 day" the 6 mags get mixed (obviously!). We've never noticed mag-related problems. I marked the mags to each gun (for what that was worth...) and I pair the mags up after "P64 Day" is over. Next time out, same thing, so I'd not worry too much about that and put it last on the list below spring weights, cleaning and ammo brand.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
jed

Post by jed »

I would agree. There is a difference in the magazines for some reason, but it doesn't seem to make a difference in the function of either of the 2 P-64s. Boths guns are really clean. I have not polished the feed ramp of either of the 2. It could be the ammo since I have tried only one brand that seems to work reliably. I guess I can try different spring combinations until I figure it out. I really like the P-64, but reliabilty seems to be one area where it's hard to beat a Makarov.
jed

Post by jed »

After I got home from work today I polished the feed ramp on my '69 P-64 then took it out to test it. Still had failure to chamber all rounds. I went back inside and put the 20 lbs recoil spring in and went back out. First 6 rounds all chambered fine. I thought, alright, now I'm on to something! Reloaded the magazine, failed to chamber the 3rd round, then after the last round the magazine dropped out. One more thing. I get a light strike on the first round of nearly every magazine (DA pull). I'll try some different ammo after putting the stock recoil spring back in. As a last resort I guess I'll put the stock hammer spring back in. I hope I find some ammo this gun likes and don't have to go with the last resort.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

jed wrote: I'll try some different ammo after putting the stock recoil spring back in. As a last resort I guess I'll put the stock hammer spring back in. I hope I find some ammo this gun likes and don't have to go with the last resort.
Unless it's a problem, before you put that hateful original hammer spring back in, Wolff makes a 19 and a 20 lb spring which isn't as bad as that approximately 30+ lb original!
- Robert

jed

Post by jed »

I put the 19 lbs hammer spring in this afternoon and that seems to have solved my problem. No more dropped mag after the last round and out of 1 box of Red Army Standard I had only 2 rounds requiring assistance to chamber. I'll do the same with my 1970 P-64 tomorrow and hopefully will get the same results (or better). I still think I'll try some different brands of ammo. Is the Tulammo any good in these guns?
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

jed wrote:I put the 19 lbs hammer spring in this afternoon and that seems to have solved my problem. No more dropped mag after the last round and out of 1 box of Red Army Standard I had only 2 rounds requiring assistance to chamber. I'll do the same with my 1970 P-64 tomorrow and hopefully will get the same results (or better). I still think I'll try some different brands of ammo. Is the Tulammo any good in these guns?
Don't think I've used Tula in my P64s. Used it in other guns with no problems but can't say for sure here. I've had my best and most consistent results across 6 P64s with the WPA ammo in the black box. Don't know why but all the guns run it no problems of any type. Why? Your guess is as good as mine!
- Robert

RustyBarrel

Post by RustyBarrel »

On my P64, I swapped hammer spring out for the 18# one and the upgraded 22# recoil spring. When I took it to the range, I didn't have a FTF, but I did experience the mag popping out a couple times. I wasn't even on the final round.

I feel the mag was popping out from the ammunition choice and not the springs. That's just my deduction though. Looking at my spent casings, I noticed on that bulged around the rear of the casing by the primer. I had just grabbed some brass PPU from my local Cabela's due to convenience and range rules. Looking around the boards here, it seemed pretty fairly common issue for the PPU ammo. I would like to try some steel casing or just other ammo in general to see if the pop outs still happens.