Permanent disconnector removal?

Info, pictures, advice...
Scout19D

Permanent disconnector removal?

Post by Scout19D »

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I had a question after reading about the disconnector. I never carry a round in the chamber. I always carry with mag in well and safety off. That's just how I roll. However, I have been having issues with my disconnector--much in the same way that others have written about on this forum. I was thinking about removing it all together. I never carry a round in the chamber, so for my purposes, it's safe. I feel that if I ever needed to chamber a round in a sticky situation my hammer would also stay cocked without having the possiblility of the disconnector not seating correctly..I want reliablility Give me some advice. Any downfalls to this approach? Please keep in mind how I carry. Thanks.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Permanent disconnector removal?

Post by Curly1 »

You had better hope that if you need to use it you have both hands available to rack the slide and don't need one to fend off an attacker while bringing it into action..

Welcome to the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Scout19D

Post by Scout19D »

Thanks for your response Gary,

I definitely understand the Israeli draw and it's drawbacks. What's your opinion on removing the disconnector permanently? Will it cause issues? Need help making this decision. Thanks.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

modifying your weapons safety systems in ANY manner will be brought up in court against you should you ever have to use your weapon in a serious social encounter. Speak with any LEO or lawyer who practices in self defense cases and they will all advise against it. I carry one in the chamber with safety off. Given the 17lb hammer pull in DA, which is more than any reasonable revolver that cops carried for years and years with no safety device other than a long hard trigger pull, I feel safe enough and all the LEO's and legal eagles I have spoken to feel that it would be viewed as no different than any other double action only weapon that has no built in safety should I need to use it. But, that's how I roll. But modifying your safety systems can be considered intent. Just sayin...........
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

IMO replaced the disconnector if it is the problem,
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Scout19D wrote:Thanks for your response Gary,

I definitely understand the Israeli draw and it's drawbacks. What's your opinion on removing the disconnector permanently? Will it cause issues? Need help making this decision. Thanks.
There are three main problems with your idea.

1) It's a huge safety issue. One of the main reasons for the Disconnector is to ensure that the weapon will not fire out of battery. If you remove your Disconnector, you will have a much higher risk of a run-away, full auto fault.

2) A secondary action it does is to de-cock the Hammer when applying the Safety. If removed you will not be able to safely de-cock your weapon if you have any other problems, that could be a dangerous issue.

3) There are several other parts the Disconnector interacts with to function. Should any of these be faulty you could be removing the wrong part, making the weapon even that much more unsafe.

I feel you don't fully understand exactly how these parts work together, and do not appreciate the dangers presented by removing parts. At this point you really should just take it to a qualified Gunsmith and have him get it fully functional again for you.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Scout19D

Post by Scout19D »

Weasel,

Thank you, this is the kind of information I am looking to receive. I thought the disconnector only interacted with the trigger and Hammer. I want to avoid having trigger issues and/or the hammer not staying cocked should I need to chamber a round. I feel that disconnector (likely the cheapest component) is severely damaging to the reliability of the P64, an otherwise great self-defense piece. I have a brand new disconnector in it. I guess the thing will get worn in at the range over time. But yeah, bringing it to a gun smith is a prudent thing. Thanks for your response.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Scout19D
you are going to alter , the safety on this gun , I don't recommend it ,
if any body gets shot form this gun you will be healed libel , now that's it's on the Internet ,
and told not to do it , so don't do it
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Scout19D

Post by Scout19D »

NormSutton,

Thanks for your concern, your honor! I used this great forum to my benefit. That's why I asked my question here, to know and not be ignorant. After Weasel's intelligent response, I don't recommend it either. Please have mercy on me before you submit your verdict. ;)