P64 slam fire question

Info, pictures, advice...
varodd

P64 slam fire question

Post by varodd »

So while loading my p64 last week, I had a potential slam fire event. I placed my loaded mag in and when i racked the slide with finger OFF the trigger the gun fired and cycled all 6 rds almost instantaneously. The recoil pushed the gun back enough that one round went though my left hand exiting my index finger. luckily no joints were hit and only the index finger bone was hit requiring a small rod to be inserted. i also lost the fingerprint of my middle finger but it is unknown if that was a bullet graze or a slide bite. The question I have is how would this be possible with this gun?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: P64 slam fire question

Post by Weasel640 »

Same possibility as with any firearm. 1)Bad/worn Sear 2)Bad/worn Hammer 3)Bad/worn Disconnector and/or 4)a Firing Pin stuck in the forward position. There could be other reasons but these are the most common.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

So sorry for you. A terrible event.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

That's HORRIBLE!!! :shock: I am sorry to hear of this and I would DEFINITELY seek the services of a competent gunsmith ASAP! Simple problems/fixes are the realm of these (free) forums. Shooting yourself in the hand would, IMO, require professional, hands-on repairs. I know I would.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

That is a terrible incident.

I hope you have a swift recovery.

+1 I would suspect a worn sear also.

I assume you racked the slide with the safety off?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Rancher9

Post by Rancher9 »

I am very interested in the cause of this event and any potential precautions for preventing a similar outcome.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Rancher9 wrote:I am very interested in the cause of this event and any potential precautions for preventing a similar outcome.
1) Having it on safe when loading would mitigate a bad Sear, Hammer, or Disconnector. The safety blocks the firing pin from being struck.

2) Also do a visual check on the beach face to make sure that the firing pin is not protruding prior to releasing the slide.

Those two actions should in most cases prevent this from happening.

Additionally you can do functions checks after cleaning and before firing.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

We have had firing pins reported to have broken, possibility of jamming in a way the pin could stay exposed.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

This really seems like a no-brainer, IMO. Something sticks, slide doesn't always return to battery, etc. - simple stuff. Forum (FREE, get what you pay for advice) probably good place to ask for help. Gun goes into full-auto? FIND A COMPETENT GUNSMITH ASAP! You already shot yourself!!! :shock: What more do you want to happen? Find someone who knows guns and can look at the defective weapon. Get it fixed before another disaster happens. What is so hard here???

This really shouldn't even be a question. It should be a story. Being told like the guy who had his P64 go off in his pocket! A warning.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

+2 on that.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

robhic wrote:This really seems like a no-brainer, IMO. Something sticks, slide doesn't always return to battery, etc. - simple stuff. Forum (FREE, get what you pay for advice) probably good place to ask for help. Gun goes into full-auto? FIND A COMPETENT GUNSMITH ASAP! You already shot yourself!!! :shock: What more do you want to happen? Find someone who knows guns and can look at the defective weapon. Get it fixed before another disaster happens. What is so hard here???

This really shouldn't even be a question. It should be a story. Being told like the guy who had his P64 go off in his pocket! A warning.
At this point it is just a story. The OP has only posted once and not been back. The only discussion has been other people.
Weasel

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Hopefully he didn't incur further injury that keeps him from coming back.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:Hopefully he didn't incur further injury that keeps him from coming back.
I thought the same thing after reading what Weasel said! I hope he didn't try it out again and get even more seriously hurt!!! :shock:
- Robert

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Weasel640 wrote:
robhic wrote:This really seems like a no-brainer, IMO. Something sticks, slide doesn't always return to battery, etc. - simple stuff. Forum (FREE, get what you pay for advice) probably good place to ask for help. Gun goes into full-auto? FIND A COMPETENT GUNSMITH ASAP! You already shot yourself!!! :shock: What more do you want to happen? Find someone who knows guns and can look at the defective weapon. Get it fixed before another disaster happens. What is so hard here???

At this point it is just a story. The OP has only posted once and not been back. The only discussion has been other people.
I have to agree with Weasel

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dashman77

Post by dashman77 »

Well its not like he shot himself, rested up for the night made a post and went back out to duplicate the malfunction. He was hospitalized, had surgery and judging from the post had recovery time before posting. Very unlikely after all that he decided to go and monkey on the problem himself and if he did... Darwinism at work. But in all seriousness I do hope he is ok. I do agree this is a good lesson for proper maintenance and inspecting your firearm before shooting. More info would be nice like how long has he owned it, number of rounds put through before this happened, modifications (if any) was there any point he took the gun apart past basic field stripping and so forth. I do hope he posts again. This post could save a life or two if continued further by the OP.
Let the donkies bray, help you find the a$$ in the group.