P-64's available,differences?

Info, pictures, advice...
Beavis

P-64's available,differences?

Post by Beavis »

I have a P-64 in the house(my wife's actually). We bought that about 3 years ago.....ours has a "rounded" hammer. Southern Ohio Guns has several different listings for the P-64, 2 are priced at $229 and one at $239, but there are 3 different item numbers(S.O.G.'s item numbers to be accurate)listed. I do not see a difference in them at all except a couple of pictures show a roundish hammer and one a more "pointed" tipped hammer. Anyone know the difference and why they are listing them under different item numbers? Curious as I want to get another one before they are gone.

S.O.G.'s link: http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns ... ndguns?p=1
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P-64's available,differences?

Post by Curly1 »

They actually have 4 different SKUS of P64's I would suspect it is just sloppy maintenance of their web site leaving older SKUS out there after they adjust their pricing.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mikethedruid

Post by mikethedruid »

There are two basic versions of the P-64, from what I have learned combing various articles. There is the rounded hammer version which you have. That is the earlier of the two. In 1972 some changes were made, including changing the hammer shape to make manual SA cocking easier. I think the 4 sku numbers result from "select" and "regular" versions of each model. With the "select" you pay a bit bore, but the weapon will be selected from a batch of 10 as the best overall finish wise and wear wise. Both categories are fully functional weapons. If looks don't matter as much, go for the lower of the two. Most of these guns seem to have a good bit of holster wear, but show little signs of use. Hope this answers your question. Good luck on your next P-64, great little weapon.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

With exception of holster wear/condition, and age (rounded hammer/angled hammer) the pistols are pretty much same. If you changed the hammer in a pistol in good shape you'd pretty much cancel that out. Except for roll-mark date on gun itself. You mostly can't go wrong ....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Beavis

Post by Beavis »

Thanks for the info gentlemen! I do love that little P-64. Just ordered a P-83 which will be here next week, but I am going to have to get a P-64(that I can call my own) this coming week. Thanks again.