Range Report P64 / CZ82

Info, pictures, advice...
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by carguy »

Okay I shot my first P64 today. WOW!

All stock, looked unfired, kicks like a mule with the DA pull of an ox cart! My 20 year old son was with me and shot a few mags and gave up. This needs a make over! The recoil was a real kick, after the 1st couple of mags my thumb was pins and needles on the way to numb (and that was with a padded palm fingerless glove on). DA trigger pull was frighteningly hard, I could barely keep it on the paper partly because I was anticipating the shot and it never seemed to come! Then the next shot was a flier as well because I had to remember the SA is mirror smooth. I'm betting a set of springs will tune this baby right up!But will the SA trigger pull be dramatically effected by the trigger spring change, that was already extremely light?

Also, shot my new CZ82, what a beauty! It was smooth as silk, I had one hiccup where the pistol fired, slide cycled yet the hammer followed the slide back on a loaded chamber and it fired DA instead of SA. Then it went to the proper operation to SA after each round. It was accurate, smooth and comfortable to handle. After I got use to it I shot a target that I use for my 22 rifle with a scope, it is 16 dimes copied onto a sheet of paper...at 7 yards I missed 1 dime (with only 16 shots) this thing can shoot!

Went through 150 rounds of MFS Makarov +P from Hungary that I got from SOG, all brass, 50 rounds of CCI Blazer and 25 rounds of Nimrod from Germany. Not 1 ftf, except with a new mag for the P64, ammo was perfect. The Nimrod was a firebreather! Lots of flame / sparks and kind of dirty.

Then my son rented some guns: The 9mm Glock was nice but not comfortable to shoot, doesn't point well. The Sig 220 in 45 was really cool! But the day was made with the semi-auto UZI!!!

So how was your day?
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by dolang1 »

Dangit, I was within $20 of buying a CZ82 this weekend at a gun show. He wanted $269 and I know AIM is selling them for $200, by the time I add $45 for shipping and taxes so I offered him $240. He thought about it but he passed. If he hadn't passed or if I hadn't been so tight, I would have been shooting those dimes. Dangit Later Don
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by papabear »

carguy,

Sounds like you had a hard day with the P-64. I am assuming before you shot it, you stripped it down and soaked it. On my '76 when I first got it the DA was heavy, and the SA was smooth as silk. I broke it down and soaked the thing for a few hours to get all the grim and gunk out of it and then cleaned and oiled and lubed. In the beginning I shot it only in SA, finally the DA got better and after probably 500 rounds the DA now is not to bad, I have not changed a thing other than put either Zee grips or Dennis's wood grips on them. I don't shoot the hotter loads, I only shoot the 93 - 95 grain ammo in all my P-64's. Now in my Makaorv's, that's a different story, I can shoot just about anything I want, the Mak is a stronger, heavier, and bigger pistol and can handle the hotter loads much better IMHO. Other's and maybe yourself might have a different opinion about the P-64, buy my other P-64's were earlier models, and probably shot more than the 76, but today, when I shoot my P-64's I enjoy them, no glove, just me and my P-64 and I usually shoot at least 3 box's [150rds]. Hope you get your P-64 settled down so you can enjoy it, they are more accurate than the Makarov's out to 20 yards for me and for a self-defense pistol that's all I can ask of it.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by carguy »

I don't have the funds to just buy a gun and put it away for the time when the prices go up. But if I did I'd buy a few CZ82s right now. I don't see the price dropping and it is spectacular. I love my Bulgarian Makarov (wish I had a few of these too) and I really love my CZ82. It is the modern version of the Mak...cool looking, military, hi capacity and just plain works!

Boy oh boy that P64 would need alot of work to get up to the same level of adoration as my Bulgy and 82! But we'll work on it.

8~)
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by nbender »

I think that's a great comment papabear. Few pistols are 100% out of the box. I've heard that Glock tells a new pistol owner to shoot over 250 rounds before judging reliability (Glock owners please verify!). Regardless of the truth in that rumor, every pistol I've purchased needed some break-in time, and the P-64 just gets better with age.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by anjdrifter »

carguy the first time I shot my first 64 my hand felt like pins and needles, and was really really sore.. I had done a cleaning I thought as I do with any new toy but after the pointers here Idid a cleaning like never before it helped then after a few hundred rounds it started getting better.. it still isnot or ever will be a smooth da but I acept that and actually prefer it that way..It makes me feel a whole lot better when I decide to carry one in the tube with safety off... not often but sometimes I do it that way....
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by carguy »

Oh yeah! This thing was clean when it got to my hands and cleaned then cleaned more! As I said, function was perfect, it was the beating the crap out of me that took me back.

I know it will get better with continued use and cleaning. But wow, what a greating!

I'd like to try a 22 lb recoil spring in it, wondering if anyone that may have purchased one and did not like it or it did not fit might give me a shot to see if I can get it to fit or if I can wrestle with it to get the slide on?? PM me please.
kempin

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by kempin »

Carguy,

I'm intrigued by your report on the cz-82 . . . I just talked my brother into buying one. Sounds like I'd better find a way to keep him from ever shooting it, or he will never sell it to me!

Don't judge the p-64 to hastily, though. As the guys say--and as you know--it will smooth out quite a bit after a break in, and the size, feel, and accuracy make it a wonderful choice for carry. There is just no way, though, to keep it from beating the snot out of you if you fire standard factory ammo. Just a matter of physics. Springs, gloves, and lighter bullets can help, but in my opinion it is just too snappy to really enjoy with factory ammo. (I'm talking for recreation, not carry.)

On the other hand, the p-64 really shoots well and is an absolute pleasure with hand loads. I back off the load just a touch, and I get the kind of accuracy you talk about with the cz-82--plus I could shoot it all day. I've made some other posts about it, and I would certainly respond if you are interested. (I know, guys, I am a broken record about this.) Just don't give up on the p-64 too soon.

On the other, other hand . . . if you DO want to give up on it, perhaps we can come to some arrangement. Every p-64 should have a loving home.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by carguy »

No, no...not giving up! Just reporting on the my "first time"!

My son (who did give up) shot unbelievable groups even rapid fire (6 in the black at 5 yards). The P64 has merit, I can live with the recoil (will still try new recoil spring) but the DA pull needs to change (new spring again). I found my self so hesitant with that first shot and then shooting a flier as I wasn't mentally ready for that mild SA trigger pull. Time and more rounds through it will fix it I'm sure. I don't reload so am stuck with factory loads for now.

This is too new to judge yet. And you'd have to get in line for this one! 8~)

As far as the CZ82 goes...just have him buy one for you too or better yet, by your own first and show off to your brother! It really is a great pistol. I will buy another, it was too much fun to shoot! And I know my son will wear it out.
Last edited by carguy on May 1st, 2007, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by normsutton »

carguy

you can always cock the hammer on that first shot or just rack the slide

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by papabear »

Glad to hear that, in all honesty, try some lighter factory loads, most common are the 94 & 95 gr loads, that should help some, and just shoot in SA mode for a while. A set of Chris or Dennis wood grips will also help, they are thicker and will absorb some of the recoil. I had to adjust my grip on the P-64 also because of its small frame, the wood grips help in that area too.

My only other 9x18 pistols are the Makarov's, Bulgarian and E. German and I have had the Russian Mak too. They are fine shoot pistols in there own right, however, their accuracy for me is not up to the P-64 once it is broken in, granted it has 2 more rds in the magazine and has a longer bbl and is a heavier pistol, and can handle the heavier loads much better IMHO, but for carry and accuracy, the P-64 is the one for me.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by garry »

"So how was your day?"
Similar but different. lol
I took my P-64 out with a new batch of re-loads (90gr. Speer and 95gr.Sierra,both in JHP), I also took a Savage over/under .410 ga. shotgun, a model 94 winchester levergun w/scope, a Savage .22 cal. w/scope, and a lowly .25 Lorcin (paid $42 for it ,COULD NOT RESIST). I am really happy with the results of my handloads ! All shot soft and accurately with 3.0 gr of Bullseye powder!
I also made several mags full of "experimental" loads, like 3.3grs. , 3.5grs. , and 3.7grs. loads. The more powder i used, the more it spit crap back at my face . It was over 80 degs. and Sunny down in Archie,MO, at my bros. farm. there was some wind but it was easy to time it right between waves.
I have a Hogue Sleeve on my P-64 that really does reduce the "bite" ALOT!! That, in combination with a glove, should make it nice to shoot for you! Also, With lighter loads, you might looove it and enjoy shooting all day !! I DO !! It has never once bothered my hand. Might be worth the $7-$10 to give it a try?
OT= The Savage .22 (outta the box) shot 20 rounds into a 2" circle in the wind at 40 yards !!! If i tried it indoors off a bench ,I bet it will shoot 1" groups! The Savage .410 was a really nice treat ! Wow that thing has good sights on it and hits what you aim at with slugs !!! I finally found my 4X32 scope again and put it back on the offset mount on the Winchester 94, i was gonna sight it in , but it was 2" high at 25 yards dead center so i left it there ! that was easy !!! lol
The .25 Lorcin did not really deserve mention compared to those "real" guns, so nothing to report other than " I loaded it, I shot it , and the grip cracked and split apart!!" (Mr. Darwin would probably "weed me out" if I bought another one of those cheapies.) Nuff Said. All in All , I had a Great Day !
So how was your day?
G
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by anjdrifter »

you know what guys...all you hand loaders I am really tired of hearing from you all... dont you know there are some of us out here(me and Papabear) who are very very weak and are susceptible to any new addition that comes up ..guns pistols revolvers grips stocks mags clips and yes we are even closet holster collectors please give us a break here....PS how easy is it to start..
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by normsutton »

anjdrifter

its real easy to started ,quitting is difficult

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Range Report P64 / CZ82

Post by papabear »

;D ;D ;D........+1 anjdrifter.......I got a holster-aholic meeting to go to tonight. Just when I thought I had quite collecting holsters, I found another box of them today in my closet....... :'(

papabear
POINT SHOOTER