Not returning to battery

Info, pictures, advice...
kilbie

Not returning to battery

Post by kilbie »

I am having problems with my P-64. When I try to load with the safety on the slide stops about a quarter inch short. When I have the safety off I have no problems at all. Any ideas what I can do to solve this issue? Thanks.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Not returning to battery

Post by robhic »

"LOAD" as in put in a magazine or just let the slide run forward? Can't say as I've noticed this but I also can't remember putting in a mag with the safety engaged, either. I always, iirc, load with the safety OFF. I only really use the safety as a decocker when adding the +1 round before sticking a mag in for 6+1 capacity.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
kilbie

Post by kilbie »

It happens either way - putting in a magazine or letting the slide run forward. If the safety is engaged it's like something is rubbing against the slide causing it to not fully return to battery. I usually keep my safety on and if I load a magazine and pull back the slide it always causes a jam.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

kilbie wrote:It happens either way - putting in a magazine or letting the slide run forward. If the safety is engaged it's like something is rubbing against the slide causing it to not fully return to battery. I usually keep my safety on and if I load a magazine and pull back the slide it always causes a jam.
You made me curious so I took one of my P64s and removed the magazine, the +1 and put the gun on 'SAFE'. I then put just the mag back and racked the slide. Stopped about 1/4" out of battery. I think it's the bar that swings up to block the hammer from hitting the firing pin (it's about a 1/4") that is keeping the slide back. So, IMO, there's nothing wrong with your pistol. You just can't load the P64 in SAFE. Why would you want to, anyway?
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Humpy

Post by Humpy »

"You made me curious so I took one of my P64s and removed the magazine, the +1 and put the gun on 'SAFE'. I then put just the mag back and racked the slide. Stopped about 1/4" out of battery. I think it's the bar that swings up to block the hammer from hitting the firing pin (it's about a 1/4") that is keeping the slide back. So, IMO, there's nothing wrong with your pistol. You just can't load the P64 in SAFE. Why would you want to, anyway?"

Same with mine, I just found this out yesterday when I was disassembling, cleaning, and changing out the hammer springs on mine.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to chamber it with the safety on. Should the hammer fall while racking the slide, you will get an AD. The safety will drop the hammer but block it from striking the firing pin.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

snailman153624 wrote:I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to chamber it with the safety on. Should the hammer fall while racking the slide, you will get an AD. The safety will drop the hammer but block it from striking the firing pin.
Well, I guess because it doesn't work and also, apparently, keeps it from returning fully to battery. I load, charge it, drop the mag, decock, top-off the mag, re-insert, ready to go 6+1 with hammer down
- Robert