Just got a P-64, very nice weapon

Info, pictures, advice...
mikethedruid

Just got a P-64, very nice weapon

Post by mikethedruid »

Hello. Today I picked up my P-64 from Jim's Firearms Repair Service near me in Johnston RI. They helped me find a good deal on mine, and handled the paperwork. I am delighted with the weapon. It is a 1975 make, looks like it was shot only a very few times. Chrome barrel is like a mirror. It is also nice that this one has the importation marks under the barrel rather than marring the slide. I think Jim's may have cleaned it completely too, because it is COMPLETELY cleaned and properly, freshly lubricate, had the handles off and checked. I have ordered an 18# hammer spring from Wolff, and a 20# recoil (slide) spring. I think I will wait to take it to the range until I install them, although, after playing with my P-64, and working the slide, which is smooth enough, I think I may leave the stock spring for now, and see how the recoil is, it has quite a pull already. I AM going to put the 18# hammer spring in though, the double action pull is STILL a bear, even on the '75 guns. Field stripping is easy, as you all know. I have no problem with the mag release at all, I just use my off hand, left in my case, index finger over the hooked plastic part of the mag, thumb pressing in and backward on the mag release, mag comes right out. That is the reason for the hook. Fortunately, my hands, although large, are not beefy, so the gun fits my grip like a glove. It does not look like, the way it is natural for me to hold it, that slide bite will be a problem at all, of course I won't REALLY know until I have been to the range. All in all though, I think this is going to be perfect for my purposes, which is as a close quarters, home defense weapon, a nightstand gun, so to speak. Anyway, I read the posts here, and watched a number of YouTube videos on both the P-64 and various other pistols, and decided on the P-64, and am very happy with my choice. Now that I have the weapon, I thought I would say, "Hi !" and give you my first impressions. I'm a retired Electronics Engineer, and a U. S. Navy, Vietnam vet. This is the only modern type pistol I own, my other is a Navy Colt. This is a great board, full of good information. If I can think of anything to contribute, I will, but it looks like you folks have it covered. :hi:
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Just got a P-64, very nice weapon

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Mike.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Polishiron68

Post by Polishiron68 »

Welcome Mike, Have fun on your first range test! We look forward to your report.

And for future reference...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsku4qp5p
https://flic.kr/s/aHskvAymLh

Russ...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Have fun at the range but be prepared for one helluva kick! These little fire-breathers are fun but rowdy! Most folks don't notice any change in recoil even with a heavier spring. I, myself, had a couple problems while using the 18# spring (like the original) getting the slide fully into battery. Put the 20# spring in which fixed that issue while not, IMO, changing recoil feel. If ya don't mind the jolt, you'll love the pistol!

AND..... Very important, grind the ends of the new recoil spring FLAT like the original. Makes assembly/dis-assembly much easier. Tighter end goes on first, too.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
mikethedruid

Post by mikethedruid »

I am not going to replace the recoil spring until I have shot it at the range, it is the hammer spring I am going to replace with the 18# version. I have read all the posts, and that change does not seem to cause problems, only lessen the DA trigger pull and somewhat the SA trigger pull. I like a light SA trigger anyway. I won't go down to 17# as I have heard that one can cause trouble with FTF.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Welcome to the group. It does kick a tad, but accurate, slim, and fits the hand well. I EDC mine, it is comfy. Carry a couple extra mags.
Remember, one is zero, two is one.
...ie, everybody needs 2! LOL!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Try out the new rubber grips.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6031&p=55206#p55206
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mikethedruid

Post by mikethedruid »

My order of ammo from Sportsman's Guide arrived today, Hornady Critical Defense for protection, and Brown Bear for practice. Got notified my Wolff Springs have been shipped. Once those arrive, and I install the 18# hammer spring, I will take my P-64 to the range and try her out. I will have the 20# recoil spring ready and ground as has been suggested by all, but I am not going to try it until I have seen what the standard is like. It is fast enough to install; and, unlike the hammer spring, something easily done at the range. I am anxious to see how the weapon performs.
Humpy

Post by Humpy »

Welcome
RoyOdhner

Post by RoyOdhner »

Welcome aboard.
mikethedruid

Post by mikethedruid »

My Wolff springs arrived. I installed the 18# hammer spring, and it has lightened up the DA trigger pull to where it is manageable, and has reduced the SA trigger pull to quite light, but just about where I like it, and VERY smooth and crisp when it does release. I watched scootch00's video several times, and then did the swap. It was not that difficult. An added advantage is that the mag release is now a bit easier as well. I did not install the recoil spring yet. I ground down the ends flat already, but will bring it with me to the range, and install it if I don't like the recoil with the standard spring. I'm going down to Midstate Guns' range tomorrow or the next day, and try my P-64 out for the first time. I will give a report of the results.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

You are on the ball!
Love my P-64's, EDC without hesitation.
Enjoy yours!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
mikethedruid

Post by mikethedruid »

Took my new little friend to the range today for the first time. From all the fuss some people make, I expected much worse recoil than I got. I like the original plastic grips fine, they fit my hand perfectly, as I said, I have large, but not meaty hands. No slide bites, or other fit related problems. The weapon functioned flawlessly through a 50 round box of Brown Bear. It seems to be more accurate then I am, so that is fine too. I did find the front sight difficult to see between the lighting at the range, and the targets I was using. I think I may put a bit of yellow nail polish on the back of the front blade so I can see it better in that TINY notch. Other than that, this pistol is absolutely perfect for my use as a home defense pistol. Also, now that I have run a box of ammo though the pistol, it seems like there is now a tiny bit of noticeable wear on the feed ramp, noticeable now, whereas before it was not. I really think this pistol was a holster queen, carried much, cleaned and kept well, but VERY rarely, if ever fired.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

mikethedruid wrote: I did find the front sight difficult to see between the lighting at the range, and the targets I was using. I think I may put a bit of yellow nail polish on the back of the front blade so I can see it better in that TINY notch.
'Zactly what I did. Bright yellow nail polish I saw at Walmart. VERY visible - big difference. IMO, I think you'll like it even more.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I use white marker on the front site.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk