Second mag that came with p64 doesn't match or operate well.

Info, pictures, advice...
Jaggery77

Second mag that came with p64 doesn't match or operate well.

Post by Jaggery77 »

I realize that there are threads on magazine differences but I just wasn't finding what I was looking for. I recently got my p64 that came with two mags with original box that came from C.A.I. Group in Poland. One mag is the original and the second is of course a different serial. The second mag differs in thickness and does not run in the mag well very well at all. It still badly and doesn't make it usable for me. As I have heard from other mags to work with later make dates, this mag has difference in the follower and lip area besides main body housing dimension differences I see with a caliper. My original is like butter. Can anyone shed light to why my other mag doesn't work well and if it is in fact made for a later year model gun. How many versions of mag are there? Is there good documentation with differentiating pics for me to examine? I am not pleased with the second mag operations and am trying to remedy this with my seller, but I want to know enough to guided the seller as to being able to get me the correct second mag. My model date is 1968.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Second mag that came with p64 doesn't match or operate w

Post by robhic »

As far as I know, the only difference between mags is the length of the feed lips. I can't remember if the longer or shorter is for the older or newer models but I have a 1968, 1975 and 1977 versions and when I and my 2 grandsons go shooting, the mags invariably get mixed up (and none of the serial numbers matched on any of the 9 P64s I've had)! So I wouldn't be overly concerned about that.

However, ALL the mags have been the same size and fit whatever pistol we stuck it in. If there were problems between different combinations because of this I'm not aware of it. No, my mags all worked so if you have one that is decidedly different in size or whatever I think I'd first contact the seller and see if they'd exchange it for you. Are you sure it IS a mag for a P64? Try that and good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
bigbake132

Post by bigbake132 »

Both my mags were the same for my P-64 and work fine. Post a photo of it from different angles if you can. That might give us a better idea what your working with. Thats odd it doesn't fit very well, how many rounds does the mag hold? There are some "commercially" made ones a few companies have put out, some people have had good luck with them but its usually a good idea to stick with the original Polish ones.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I had issues with a non numbered mag that would bind inserting and removing.

If this is your issue I solved mine by putting it in a vice and in slow increments squeezed it from front to back or side to side as needed then tested in the mag well.

Thru trial and error I was able to get it to insert and eject w/o binding while insuring the follower worked correctly.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary