Slide problem

Info, pictures, advice...
3line3

Re: Slide problem

Post by 3line3 »

Folks,

In an earlier post I said that the recoil spring the P64 I bought from the distributor 10 years ago had an unground spring. I thought that must be the original spring, but I looked through my parts box and, sure enough, there was the original ground spring in a Wolff 20# spring envelope. Mystery solved. I installed the original spring and reassembly does seem easier. Guess I'll modify the 20# spring and see if I can see any difference at the range.

Regards,
Jeff
3line3

Post by 3line3 »

I ground the ends of the recoil spring on the 20# Wolff spring as Curly1 suggested and, lo and behold, it's much easier to reassemble the pistol now. I can't quite figure why it works, but it does work. Took the pistol to the range and fired it with both the original and 20# Wolff spring. I didn't perceive any difference in recoil and no functioning problems, so I left the 20# spring in on the theory it should reduce wear to the frame and slide.

Best,
Jeff
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I never felt a diff in the recoil springs either.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

3line3 wrote:I ground the ends of the recoil spring on the 20# Wolff spring as Curly1 suggested and, lo and behold, it's much easier to reassemble the pistol now. I can't quite figure why it works, but it does work. Took the pistol to the range and fired it with both the original and 20# Wolff spring. I didn't perceive any difference in recoil and no functioning problems, so I left the 20# spring in on the theory it should reduce wear to the frame and slide.

Best,
Jeff
No good explanation for the grinding flat except "because". :mrgreen: And you won't notice difference in recoil (I don't think anybody has reported noticing a difference).

As I wrote elsewhere I have a BERSA Thunder 380 that requires flat spring ends and correct orientation like the P64. Why? BECAUSE!!! :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The grinding of the 2 ends will give you that bit of extra room to clear the slide off the rails when you rack it back.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mike83

Post by mike83 »

That little extra room makes sense. Then again, I like the "just because" explanation. Reminds me of my Dad saying "Because I said so". Miss you Dad!
Mike