P64 in "Concealed Carry" Magazine?

Info, pictures, advice...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

P64 in "Concealed Carry" Magazine?

Post by robhic »

Just got my Feb/Mar issue of "Concealed Carry" magazine (good mag if you haven't seen it). I noticed a story - but didn't check it out yet - on something titled "Polska [something]" with a picture that looks suspiciously like a P64. I want to read the article to see what their take on it is. I'm curious if the magazine is gonna recommend the P64 as a viable carry weapon.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
valetnlv

Re: P64 in "Concealed Carry" Magazine?

Post by valetnlv »

let us know when you know what it says
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

valetnlv wrote:let us know when you know what it says
I skimmed it and the title was "Polska Pistol" and it was the P64 (a 1971). What I got in my brief skim was the guy liked the P64, changed the recoil spring to a 20#, didn't mention (least not that I saw) changing the hammer spring or even availability, the DA pull was very heavy but SA pull was good. Gave a scenario regarding issuance of the pistol to new recruits in the commie-bloc army and the heavy DA being to compensate for nervousness in his opinion and some other stuff. Kinda good/bad from what I was able to get. I have to read the whole thing and then decide if I'm gonna write a rebuttal (depends on my mood :mrgreen: ) if it's a somewhat misleading, incorrect or stupid article. We'll see....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

At least it was mentioned as a viable weapon in a major publication.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Finally got around to reading the "Polska Pistol" article in CC Magazine. Not as bad as I first suspected. Pretty positive review. Biggest complaints were mag release (European style) in the mag well. HEAVY DA trigger but reason that these pistols were issued to less than enthusiastic military & police conscripts so NDs were possibly made more difficult for guys who'd rather be anyplace else than front lines or doing police duty. I guess I can see this. Said the 1971 vintage he received was VERY well made - not as good as a Walther PPK but similar in many ways. Trigger pull Loooooong and haaaaard. After that, SA pull was excellent.

Theorized the heavy trigger allowed carrying 6+1 loading with safety OFF. ORIGINAL trigger pull (30# or so) so safety against accidental pull fairly good. (That trigger IS a beast!) Used Buffalo Bore 115gr hard-cast lead bullets (I think that might be a bit heavy) and other Buffalo Bore 93gr rounds brass. Steel-cased got little mention About one - Red Army RN.

All-in-all it was mostly positive. Got a good, clean one with (he said) looked like no firing or wear. I think it painted a positive picture of the P64. Don't think I'll rebutt him. :mrgreen: Mentioned recoil springs but no trigger spring replacement. After some thought, I think maybe that was to reduce liability because lighter springs make for a really light SA trigger. My opinion - he didn't say. But did mention Wolff and pistols could be made into nice little guns with a little work. I think it was acceptable.
- Robert