Tame the little beast

Info, pictures, advice...
Gordyf

Tame the little beast

Post by Gordyf »

I have owned my P-64 for a number of years and just don't shoot it that often. Why? Cause it hurts!
I can't go through a box of ammunition and have any fun. Even my son who has big mitts says that he wouldn't want to shoot "that" all afternoon. We are not newbie shooters.
Will have to admit that we have only used Russian steel case ammunition in the past.
It sat in the safe long enough that I figured I'd try again. Went to the range last week and shot some PPU loads.Brass case, FMJ.
An improvement, but there is room for more.
Bought dies and cases, bullets on the way, powder coated Missouri bullets. 93 grain.
Any thoughts out there on a load that will both function the blowback and not hurt... maybe as bad?
Have done the wolff spring thing on this little gun, lighter hammer spring and heavier recoil spring. That helped. Can live with the trigger pull in double action,single action is great!
Have Bullseye, 231 and Trail boss on hand for powder. I am a C&R, and load for all my stuff. Open to all suggestions.
Really like the piece, it will always be in the collection, but it is a little beast and I like to shoot all my guns.
Why else would they be there?
Hope I have not ruffled too many feathers.
Aloha
Gordy
chestertnted

Re: Tame the little beast

Post by chestertnted »

I EDC my P-64, and shoot it regularly. It kicks more than my Maks, in my opinion. You can try all the grip, ammo, spring combinations, but my hand hurts after a box, and I get slide bite. But it is so small and thin, and carry's like a dream, and is worth it.
I only shoot Brass in it.
Have fun working up a load that meets your requirements.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I have a 14 yr old grandson that is recoil sensitive - especially with the P64. Simple solution? Wear a glove! I bought him a pair of fingerless leather gloves for like $12 and now he's OK. Carrying it you really won't care about its kick. :shock: Range and general use - use the glove! SOLVED!!!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Gordyf

Post by Gordyf »

Thanks both of you guys for the replies!
Robhic, a glove is a great idea. Had't thought about it 'cause we don't wear them a lot here in the tropics.
chesternted, , there was a marked improvement with the PPU ammunition. and for both, I agree that it would be a great carry piece if that were allowed here. Hawaii is a May issue State that NEVER issues. Officially not even to judges and politicians.
Aloha
Gordy
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Gordyf wrote:Thanks both of you guys for the replies!
Robhic, a glove is a great idea. Had't thought about it 'cause we don't wear them a lot here in the tropics.
I'm in Louisiana so I know what you mean. It's a fingerless (more-or-less) work glove. He just wears the one. It's got apadded palm so it works well and isn't really too hot.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
mike83

Post by mike83 »

Fingerless biker gloves would be good. Available at any motorcycle shop. Some have a gel pad in the palm to quell vibration (like an older Sportster).
I find the P64 to be very economical to shoot. Two or three mags to stay proficient and I'm done.

Mike
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Very true mike83. 2 or 3 mags practice tactical reload, sighting, situational awareness, and finish!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Houge Handall fixed mine. It even has the original spring still.