Power of the Makarov round

Info, pictures, advice...
bjzajac

Power of the Makarov round

Post by bjzajac »

See the video (attached link) for a demonstration of the power of the 9X18 Makarov round. The target is a cinder block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgbd7IJDHlY
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Power of the Makarov round

Post by robhic »

That's pretty impressive. But from the recoil of my P64 I can't say it's all that surprising! :mrgreen:

Off topic: I saw a show on snipers the other night and one in Afghanistan, using a Barrett 50 sniper rifle shot THROUGH a cinder block wall using an exploding bullet and vaporized 3 (!!!) jihadis setting up a machine gun from ...... around 2000 yards! THAT'S penetration. Couldn't see the terrorists but all that showed was a huge, red stain on the surface behind where they were as the shell went in with about a 2" hole.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

The Mak is a little bit better than a .380, but not close to a 9 mm. With modern bullets, it is a threat stopping viable round and should not be discounted.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
4rum

Post by 4rum »

Sadly, there's no free ride. If we want more stopping power we must go to a larger format weapon. If we want a larger magazine capacity, again we must go to a larger pistol. So, we make decisions, hopefully after some research or from accrued knowledge. In ANY configuration we need to educate ourselves about the firearm we decide to carry, its strengths, weaknesses, capabilities and function. We also need to make good choices of the ammo we choose to carry. There are several schools of thought. Some WANT the penetration of a full metal jacket. Without adequate penetration, you won't likely detere a dedicated assailant. Others prefer 'knock down' or the expenditure of energy in or on the target. This will usually require expansion of the projectile.
Is accuracy a consideration? For me I need the confidence that I can put most of the rounds in a 'minute of chest cavity' at close range. Is collateral hits a consideration? Yes, I think it is if we are discussing 'carry' weapons as we will quite possibly be in a public place if the need arises. Secondary bullet strikes could possibly be of greater consequence than the perpetrator's actions.
Lots to consider and I'm probably ragging on things that have been well discussed here before. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Remember, at the end of the day ... it gets dark.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

I wouldn't want to get shot with one.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

MakAttack wrote:I wouldn't want to get shot with one.
Ya got that right! When I shoot my Glock G26 "Baby Glock" 9mm and one of my P64s at the same range trip, I find little, or insignificant, difference. I wouldn't wanna take a .22 hit, much less a 9 Makarov. OK, not as potent as a full 9 but pretty close - close enough I'd stay well outta its way! :shock:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Eric

Post by Eric »

for power take a look at buffalo bore - they have a 115 gr hard cast flat nosed round that is impressive -
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Eric wrote:for power take a look at buffalo bore - they have a 115 gr hard cast flat nosed round that is impressive -
I've got some of those (lower grain weight) for my 380s. I saw a chart from "American Rifleman" that showed 24" penetration! I'd have to see it to believe that but some BB HP 380 ammo had 13-14" penetration. Either way, hard-cast lead is pretty badass!
- Robert

almostpolish

Post by almostpolish »

Eric wrote:for power take a look at buffalo bore - they have a 115 gr hard cast flat nosed round that is impressive -
Have you tried it?
Eric

Post by Eric »

almostpolish - yes i have - it is far superior to the 93gr round
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

...except the p64 was designed for a 94gr round, and running something this much larger is likely going to result in damage or catastrophic failure. So "far superior" if you ignore all of its flaws.
Last edited by snailman153624 on January 21st, 2016, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4rum

Post by 4rum »

The 7.62 X 25 was built around a 95 gr. offering as well ... but ... I developed a loading using the Sierra 125 gr. hollow point flat nose touted as the '30-30' bullet. Made primarily for 30-30 velocities at longer yardage.
The performance in wet phone books is phenomenal. Some of the prettiest mushroom I've ever seen. The phone books are burst open as well (taped with duct tape). No, it isn't ballistic gel, but neither is my ultimate target.
Using different propellants, working up carefully, paying exacting attention to seating depth etc. I have a 'home defense' round in 7.62 X 25 that performs well in all three of my CZ52's, isn't as likely to kill someone in the trailer park down the road and feeds and functions flawlessly.
Remember, at the end of the day ... it gets dark.
bjzajac

Post by bjzajac »

There are few videos comparing the 9x19 and the 9x18. Here is one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud6i3WD-JRo
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

snailman153624 wrote:...except the p64 was designed for a 94gr round, and running something this much larger is likely going to result in damage our catastrophic failure. So "far superior" if you ignore all of its flaws.
I'd have to agree here. Besides these pistols being 40+ years old - they weren't designed for such a powerful round (didn't even exist then...). Even if you ignore the danger factor, I'd be just a bit worried about damaging my gun. Why risk it? If you want more power there are 9mm's available for not a lot of money and vastly more powerful ammo with improved ballistic characteristics?
- Robert

bjzajac

Post by bjzajac »

Google the Taurus PT 111 G2 in 9mm. It has received good reviews and is for sale at a very reasonable price.