How often do you get to shoot?

Info, pictures, advice...
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

Maybe the P-64 Barbinski edition. I seem to recall that Barbie had a fling as a secret agent in the 1960's when Sean Connery as 007 was pretty big. I don't recall what sort of sidearm she used, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a P-64. The harsh recoil and heavy dobule-action trigger pull would have surely chipped a nail.

Of course, even a P-64 decked out in pink and white finish with inlaid CZ's (I couldn't resist that one) and it would be too much of a gun for my daughters at this point. I've tried them with .22's and that didn't work either. They suggested a BB gun, and I may try that to get them started.

Oh well, painting it pink and white, and making it all so elegant--it doesn't matter. I also showed them pictures of very feminine young women competing at all sorts of shooting events--it didn't matter. I've found out that you can't "make" someone like this sport, you just have to hope and pray they eventually come to it on their own. And I'll be there if and (hopefully) when they do.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

when I was at Camp Perry last year during the competition I had my grandson with me.... and he was very very interested in a few of the young teenage girls in their shooting outfits... maybe that will work for you tell tell your daughters..
tmann11

Post by tmann11 »

Hey Guys,

I try to respond and get involved as much as possible, so sorry for the late response. I try to shoot at least once a week. Last weekend my fiance and myself went to an outdoor, state funded range about an hour away from my house and shot about 650 rounds total. I was shooting my Glock 20, 10mm and my Ruger SP101, .357 magnum along with my P-64. Sometimes I'll shoot until I'm "over it", which happens very quickly. It could be two boxes one time, or 20 boxes another time. It just depends and I can't answer why. I do love to shoot, but sometimes I get enough from just a few boxes. I guess my answer to everyone is quality and not quantity, right???

Living in a saturated, suburban population I am required to utilize local shooting ranges. The best one I've found locally here in VA Beach is Lynnhaven Shooting Range, Inc., 2664 Lishell Place, Virginia Beach, VA 23452. Phone: 757-427-2627. The range operates a very professional range. A one year membership is $120, or $8 per visit. You can shoot your own ammunition, due to the size as it is a very long range that allows rifles and shotguns.

I have found that another local range that I like, SharpShooter's in Colonial Heights, VA. Unfortunately they will not let me shoot my own ammunition due to the steel/metal content and 15 yard indoor range. I have to purchase my own ammunition at $18 - 20 per box. OUCH!!!!! Anyone heard of such problems? I know he'll run a magnet over my ammunition and they always show other "metals" that can cause problems in a short range.

Thanks for everything, I do love this forum. I've already found and established some good relationships.

Thanks.

Thomas

"Shoot for life"
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

tmann11--- I think the main reason they don't like steel bullets is because the bounce back at you and/or they penetrate to much? not sure , but the rangemaster at the indoor range i go to says " if they bounce back-they are steel and I'll kick yer ass if you use them here" ! hahaha Lloyd is a great older guy with a welcoming smile , so, to hear him say that, i know he has serious reasoning behind the statement. Apparently he has experienced said "bounce back" . i take all my steel Ammo down to the farm to shoot it . Just thought that might help explain the steel ammo arguments a bit.
G
tmann11

Post by tmann11 »

Garry,

Yup, you seem to be right. I was "nicked" on my neck at the range a few weeks ago. There was a Dumb A@* pulling up quickly as if firing around a corner and was also rapid firing. Needless to say he hit the target holder and the bullet richoted back and nicked my neck. I couldn't believe what happened and confronted the idiot about safe shooting practices. He got smart with me and was asked to leave the range. I thought there may be a confrontation outside, but it didn't happen. If that had hit me in the eye, I'd be blind in one eye. I know it was a "nick", but with a hot piece of metal traveling very fast. It made me realize that I'm not safe at the shooting range.

Thanks.

Thomas
"SHOOT FOR LIFE"
tmann11

Post by tmann11 »

I do wear protective eyes and ears...
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

Anjdrifter, an interesting idea. They are getting interested in boys, and there would be boys at some of these things. And the boys would all know that their daddy was armed. Hmmm....
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Dang TMann11 !! You got shot !!! Amazing the idiot shoots you and when you complain--he acts like an ass? geeeez. if I were that rangemaster, I'd just revoke his license for showing no remorse Alone !!! It sounds like an accident,but, when someone hurts you and then tries to belittle you, well... them's fighting words ! lol G
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

guess I am pretty lucky 1st the range I go to is about 5 minutes away... 10 an hour (not enforced at all) or 200 a year unlimited.
outside in fresh air nicely kept great owner who has been a ball to be around..he is another old guy retired leo.. if any of his regulars tell him about an unsafe ,arrogant or general not nice shooter there is no question they are history...I usually get to go a couple times a week at least...
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

anjdrifter,

I hear you keep the FAA busy at that range with your low flying projectiles........ ;D
POINT SHOOTER
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

anjdrifter,

I hear you keep the FAA busy at that range with your low flying projectiles.... ;D
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

thtas the one it is now declared a no fly zone...