Just curious...

Info, pictures, advice...
Brno

Just curious...

Post by Brno »

If the DA trigger pull weight normalizes over time and use. I recently purchased what seemed to be a new(er) 1968 P-64. The SA trigger pull is a comfortable 4.5 lbs, but the DA pull weight seems to vary between 18-20 lbs as measured by my scale.

Has anyone simply left the original hammer spring in and has the DA pull become more comfortable?

I have a pak of Wolff springs on the way but just thinking maybe I should hold off switching it out.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Just curious...

Post by robhic »

The original spring is around a 25 - 30# pull weight. NO amount of use will lower that monster to 18# or so. Someone may have already changed it out (my guess) already. I use the 18# spring in my P64s and a trigger-pull gauge by the guy at the range gave me 18# DA and around 4 - 4.5 SA.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
mike83

Post by mike83 »

If it gets easier, it's because of this.
Attachments
strong-finger.jpg
strong-finger.jpg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
Brno

Post by Brno »

robhic wrote:The original spring is around a 25 - 30# pull weight. NO amount of use will lower that monster to 18# or so. Someone may have already changed it out (my guess) already. I use the 18# spring in my P64s and a trigger-pull gauge by the guy at the range gave me 18# DA and around 4 - 4.5 SA.

That may be possible. I had assumed the pistol was new since it was still quite coated in cosmoline. But I am sure that you can never really know the history behind these pistols-which is what gives them so much character! Will probably stick with spring that is installed since I really like the current SA trigger weight.
Brno

Post by Brno »

mike83 wrote:If it gets easier, it's because of this.

Too funny lol!
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

i have two p64's one i changed out the springs and it is a great range gun , the other i kept the way i got it and it is fine though i never shoot db only single action.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I have kept the original spring in. Practice a lot in handling the DA pull. You can almost get a slam fire on the single action reset. It is very fast.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Brno

Post by Brno »

I went ahead and changed out the hammer spring, mostly because I was interested in seeing what was installed. Using the great info here on the forum, I took off the old spring and compared it to the Wolff springs that I purchased (got the 3-spring pak). The old spring was visibly shorter and measured 1.1mm in thickness (slightly thicker than the new ones). I elected to install the 19lb hammer spring for the Wolff pak. After installing the new spring, the DA has no creepy feel and breaks between 14.5 and 15 lbs. The SA breaks consistently at 3.8 lbs. So summary after installing the 19lbs hammer spring:
DA 18-20 with creep to 14.5-15 with no creep
SA crisp 4.5 to crisp 3.8

I think I will keep the new spring in for awhile to see how I like it but so far it is much cleaner break.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

I've left mine stock and just live with the heavy DA trigger. I think of it as an extra safety ;-)
4rum

Post by 4rum »

Has anyone experienced FTF with replacement springs? My first priority in a carry piece is that it goes bang!
Remember, at the end of the day ... it gets dark.