Swollen Casings?

Info, pictures, advice...
Bergerboy

Swollen Casings?

Post by Bergerboy »

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced casings that show a swelling pattern after firing, as shown in the photo.
They are quite consistent, and show a half-moon shape at the base of the casing.
I primarily shoot Prvi Partisans, as they're inexpensive, available in bulk shipments, and I've never had a problem with them in firing. And their hollow points are quite accurate, when fired from my P64.
This case swelling pattern looks to be aligned with the feed ramp of the P64, as it remains an open area when the breach is closed and a round is in-battery.

Not sure if this is a regular trait of the P64, or if I've got a problem in the making.

Would appreciate some expert feedback.

Also including a couple of beauty-shots of my P64 with my black walnut grips installed. These are great looking, and the added beaver tail really makes the feel on aiming and on recoil much more comfortable!!
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Swollen Shells.jpg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Swollen Casings?

Post by Curly1 »

IIRC there are some posts in the forum discussing this and it is due to the open space on the side of the chamber.

Try a search and see if they pop up.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
plarry

Post by plarry »

Beautiful grips; they really blend with the overall style of the pistol. Did you make them or are they available commercially?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And the casing problem seems to occur with Privi Partisan more often than other ammo. We think they are loaded a bit hotter, European ammo often is. Or perhaps they are using a bit thinner brass.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Bergerboy

Post by Bergerboy »

Thanks Larry.
I got these from Marschalgrips.com.
He does nice work as witnessed from all his online photos.
Although I did see numerous reviews that had some negative feedback on some.
I had absolutely no problems, as I ordered ones that were already pre-made, so no custom ordering or delays.
I think I paid $91 including shipping from Hungary and they came in less than 2 weeks.

As for the casings, I see this amount of deformation pretty consistently on all my PPU brass, since I switched from steel-cased shells (Wolf maybe?).
The swelling hasn't approached the degree that I've seen on some posted on this board, so I'm thinking I will just monitor the condition to make sure it doesn't worsen over time, or across batches of ammo.

When I decided the P64 would be my main CCW of choice, especially in warmer seasons, it was the one that I spent the most time at the range qualifying with, so I felt better running ~2000 rounds (so far) through her in brass, rather than risk the added wear and tear of the steel shells.
The only modifications (besides the grips) I've made, is the Wolf Springs kit for improved DA trigger pull, and I painted a dot of yellow flourescent paint on the front sight blade - which has made target acquisition so much clearer, especially indoors.
All-in-all, it's a nice little rig, and am very happy with it!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Privi Partisan seem to a softer brass , I know there rifle brass is , , but great brass for reloading , don't have to reanneal for almost 5 shots , and dose have be trimmed almost every shot about the same length , its almost a soft as starline brass witch (IMHO) is the softest brass made

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
BikerNut

Post by BikerNut »

I made a post many months ago concerning "Glocked" brass from my P-64. I had just bought the pistol and PMC was the first ammo I tried (the only 9x18 in the store).

Mine bulged exactly like your photos (unsupported area of the chamber).

A 9x18 resizing die wouldn't entirely remove the bulge, so I scrapped all the PMC brass I recycled.

I bought some 9x18 Starline brass and some Speer bullets and loaded my own ammo. They fired fine and the brass came out fine and without bulges.

My supposition is that PMC's ammo is loaded really hot, and that's what caused the bulge.

My homemade Starline/Speer/Titegroup ammo was loaded at Hodgedon's recommended safe starting load, which is not too hot. They worked fine but grouped about 3" lower that the PMC ammo.

In response to my original bulged PMC brass thread, someone here recommended shooting Silver Bear steelcased ammo. It was, after all, an Eastern Bloc gun that was probably raised on a diet of steelcased ammo.

So I bought 500 rounds of Silver Bear, and shoots just great from the P-64. Accuracy is excellent. Getting near the end of that 500 so I'm going to buy a full case next time.

I still pick up all my 9x19 brass but it's kind of nice not having to carefully separate 9x18 brass from it anymore. I just leave the steel cases on the floor. And Silver Bear is so cheap that I don't care that I can't reload it.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Bikernut,

That was me recommending Silver Bear ammo and I am glad it has work well for you. Nice to find out when a recommendation made to someone else works out for them. :mrgreen:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.