P-64 Misconceptions

Info, pictures, advice...
nscale

P-64 Misconceptions

Post by nscale »

Being this topic is about any misconceptions, I have some input I think is important for the person considering purchasing the P-64. Currently I have 3 P-64's 2 with the round and 1 with the triangle hammer.
1. DA Trigger pull - It is just heavy. There may be a slight difference between the different years I have, but all in all the DA pull is hard.
I don't see this as a negative for this pistol, because it is the perfect carry weapon, I feel safe having a round chambered. I just use it like a SA.
2. Kick - I have had at least one person tell me the kick of thier P-64 was no worse than a Makarov, and it may be the way I hold/grip the gun. Owning Maks as well, I must explain to the person looking at the P-64 that the top rear grip area of the pistol may dig into your hand if you go to the range and put 50-100 consecutive rounds through it. Again the P-64 is the ideal carry weapon, and shooting 2 or 3 clips through the gun is not soo uncomfortable that it can not be used for self defense. Just be aware that a light glove is an idea for target practice.
3. The grip material may dissolve if you use a spray gun cleaning solvent on them. this happened to me the first time I cleaned my P-64. It caused the plastic material to look slightly melted were it made contact. Of course it did not effect the function of the grips it just effected the apperance.

This is the information I give to someone considering the P-64, and it is based on my own experience. It is not meant to be negative, as this is my primary carry weapon. The size, wieght, power and accuracy of the P-64 is right on. Obviously I would reccommend this pistol to anyone who desires a compact carry pistol. If they want to go to the range every week and fire a couple of hundred rounds at targets, consider the Bersa 380. Every handgun has pros and cons. The P-64 pros outwiegh the cons.

One final note to the person consideing the P-64. This pistol will continue to appreciate in value. It is an excellent investment. I believe you can compare it to the E.German Mak. Soon they will not be available and it will be impossible to find the P-64 for under $200.

Get one you will not be dissapointed.
tunnelrat

P-64 Misconceptions

Post by tunnelrat »

1. DA Trigger pull - It is just heavy. There may be a slight difference between the different years I have, but all in all the DA pull is hard.
I don't see this as a negative for this pistol, because it is the perfect carry weapon, I feel safe having a round chambered. I just use it like a SA.
I agree -- I don't even use the safety. I am much more confident to slip the P-64 into my waistband than I am about my Glock 27 or Kahr P-9. It is just a matter of thumb-cocking it in order to fire (and the SA trigger is very nice!).
2. Kick - I have had at least one person tell me the kick of thier P-64 was no worse than a Makarov,
Hmmm, mine doesn't so much kick more as that it jumps around in my hand more. It seems to be harder to hold than the Mak and bangs my fingers more.
Just be aware that a light glove is an idea for target practice.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that...Image
The size, wieght, power and accuracy of the P-64 is right on.
Besides, it's pretty, too. It's sort of a Polish PPK. It makes me feel like James Bond when I wear it. This is the gun I carry when I go to the opera...
Obviously I would reccommend this pistol to anyone who desires a compact carry pistol. If they want to go to the range every week and fire a couple of hundred rounds at targets, consider the Bersa 380. Every handgun has pros and cons. The P-64 pros outwiegh the cons.
Well spoken -- there are surely more pros than cons (and it's prettier than the Bersa, too).
One final note to the person consideing the P-64. This pistol will continue to appreciate in value. It is an excellent investment. I believe you can compare it to the E.German Mak. Soon they will not be available and it will be impossible to find the P-64 for under $200.
I've been wondering about that. There seems to be a value here that far outstrips the price.