Hello all, new P-64 owner in GA

Info, pictures, advice...
Paulnola

Hello all, new P-64 owner in GA

Post by Paulnola »

New P-64 owner here. I am a U.S. Marine Corps veteran, deployed for Operations Desert Shield and Storm. Got back into shooting last year after a 19 year hiatus.

I bought my vintage 1971 P-64 about a month ago and have been enjoying going to the range and shooting it. I have installed the Wolff springs, which has made a significant difference in the double action. The SA is even better than before.

The only problem I have had is getting ammo locally. Almost no one seems to carry 9x18 ball FMJ so I have been ordering it online.

In the future I would like to try custom grips but I plan on trying the Houge Jr in the meantime.

I look forward to learning all I can about this excellent pistol from others with knowledge and experience with it.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Hello all, new P-64 owner in GA

Post by robhic »

Academy Sport & Outdoors surprisingly carries 9mm Makarov ammo. At least around here they do. Online, I get the best price and selection from SGAmmo.com who has a few steelcased products AND some Hornady brass-cased HP (good SD with the FTX and XTP) although at higher price than steel.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Bulkammo.com has a nice selection and price range available.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

I started with the hogue and decided to keep it on there.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

I get all ammo online.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
BeardedSailor

Post by BeardedSailor »

I found a couple of ways to find the ammo. Just remember each and every time, you want 9x18. I ordered online from Academy Sports. Inexpensive and free shipping when you order x$'s. Shipping was fast. Ordered shortly after midnight and the ammo was at my door the following day. (As in Tuesday morning and recvd Wednesday afternoon.) Another source is gunbot.com. It is a site where you can choose the caliber you are looking for and it will check all sites for that caliber's availability. Then you can choose to sort by price per round, etc etc. Find what you want, click the recommended site and order. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum!
plarry

Post by plarry »

I tore the hogue trying to get it on the grips so I cut a piece of bicycle innertube. Thicker than the hogue and the average bike tube will yield about ten grip sleeves. Trim to fit with an x-acto knife,
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
BeardedSailor

Post by BeardedSailor »

My bad. It has been a kitchen remodel day/week/month/seems like a lifetime. The correct address was gunbot.net. Brass cartridges costs slightly more, but they fire cleaner. Good luck!