Could not pass up another P64!

Info, pictures, advice...
mike83

Could not pass up another P64!

Post by mike83 »

Got an email from a gun shop about $119 "Polish Makarovs" first come first served last Sunday morning. I was third in line an hour before opening. By opening time about 25 more were in line. They only had 5 to sell and there were some unhappy campers. The pistols were all very nice looking. I got a 1977. The safety did not de-cock the hammer (none of them did). After scouring this site, I think I can remedy the problem. The box it was in had a barcode sticker covering the words "De-cocker not working" written on by the importer. No one mentioned it at the shop and the other buyers did not seem to care about it. This pistol has the smallest import mark I have ever seen. It functions just fine except for the de-cocker. I still think I got a good deal since I can repair it myself. As soon as my Wolf springs get here, I will break out the giant plastic bag and have at it. Pictures will have to wait: need to find the cable to download photos.
Mike
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Could not pass up another P64!

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Mike let us know how it works out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Great price. Fix the de-cocker if you can!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
mike83

Post by mike83 »

Started to tinker today. Took the safety out and cleaned up all the oily stuff in there. Did a light lube and the safety lever is easier, but not there yet. Switched slide assembly with my other P64 and the new one still won't de-cock. The old P64 with the new slide will de-cock. My deductive reasoning says the slide assembly is not the problem. It is working, but the safety lever need s a little more detailing.
I will watch the videos a few more times and take down the rest of the pistol this weekend. Thinking of taking down the old functioning one first and then look for differences.
I am almost glad this one has a problem. I like to play mechanical detective.

Mike
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Sweet. Good luck this weekend, and let us know.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
mike83

Post by mike83 »

So I take down the P64 with much confidence thanks to video by Junius. I even got it cleaned and put back together in less than an hour. Every thing looked okay and went back together with no drama. But the de-cocker still fails to function. That will wait for another day since I don't want to get too frustrated. Sometimes a day or two away allows my brain to catch up and think of a solution. The thought of exchanging parts with my other functioning pistol has crossed my mind. Must think! :idea:
Mike
mike83

Post by mike83 »

After some research, I found someone else with this same problem. He had me closely examine the dis-connector. It shows some grinding marks on the edges. A small amount of material was removed. A replacement will be ordered. The 18 lb. hammer spring worked great. The 22 lb. recoil spring would not let me install the slide. More investigation required,
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

You need to grind the end of the recoil spring flat like the original at the chamber end.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hutch

Post by Hutch »

mike83 wrote:After some research, I found someone else with this same problem. He had me closely examine the dis-connector. It shows some grinding marks on the edges. A small amount of material was removed. A replacement will be ordered. The 18 lb. hammer spring worked great. The 22 lb. recoil spring would not let me install the slide. More investigation required,

Hey Mike I installed the 18# hammer spring and the 22# recoil spring, no issues.
mike83

Post by mike83 »

I had ordered a new sear, 2 dis-connectors and a late model hammer(for my older P64) from the gentleman in Poland on Gunbroker. The parts arrived yesterday, 4 weeks from the order date. The shipping was only $5 and his sale prices were very reasonable. If you can wait the transit time, I can recommend him.

This morning I swapped out the sear and dis-connector. How do you say "Voila" in Polish? The de-cocker now functions as it's supposed to. The sear I bought was supposed to be a spare, but I noticed some wear on the old one so I installed the brand new sear. If you are having the same non functioning de-cocker, the dis-connector is more than likely the problem. As long as you are ordering, get the sear and make sure.

My $119 purchase with about $25 worth of parts and shipping is still a bargain. Add the fun I had figuring out how to fix it and it is even better. :D

Thanks again to Junius Taylor for his videos.

Mike
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Thanx for the update, I luv happy endings.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mike83

Post by mike83 »

Went to the 50 yard range today with the primary reason to sight in my AR. That went splendidly, so I broke out the newly repaired P-64. I tested the de-cocker multiple times with a round in the chamber. It all worked just fine. I was concerned that it might fire when de-cocking, but my fears were unfounded. For fun, I shot at a 10" target from 50 yards. To my surprise, I actually hit the paper. low but a 10" or so group. I suck with most pistols. I suck the least with the P-64. Those sights are soooo tiny, but they work pretty well for me. My home grown lead bullets lubed with liquid Alox smoked a great deal. I think I will try powder coating my next batch.
Mike
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:You need to grind the end of the recoil spring flat like the original at the chamber end.
+++++++1 !!! Both ends, for that matter.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
BikerNut

Post by BikerNut »

mike83 wrote:I suck with most pistols. I suck the least with the P-64. Those sights are soooo tiny, but they work pretty well for me.
I could not even SEE the sight on mine. I STILL can't see them.

But MY P-64 is magic -- it aims itself.

I am better with P-64 than with my S&W M&P9, my Walther P.38, my Walther PPK/S, and even my Walther PPS.

The only handgun I have that shoots more accurately is a .22 Single Six with a 6-7/8" barrel and target sights. No surprise there.

I don't know what it is about my P-64, other than the fact that it's magic.
mike83

Post by mike83 »

Finally figured out how to get a down-sized photo of the new and old P64. A new laptop complicated things for me as well. I try to keep up with computer stuff, but at 65 it's challenging. I'll take a screwdriver over a keyboard any day.
The black gripped one is the newly repaired de-cocker $119 special. I love the tiny import mark. The white grips with thumb rest (from Zee) are on my first pistol. You DO need more than one P64!
Mike
IMG_0181.JPG