Hammer question.

Info, pictures, advice...
plarry

Hammer question.

Post by plarry »

I purchased a 1967 marked p64 on Gunbroker for 199.00 plus 10.00 shipping a while back. I shot it for the first time today and I am very impressed by the accuracy and the "out-of-the-box" single action trigger pull. My other weapons in this size are a Walther PP and a Mauser HSc, and the p64 is on par in accuracy with the PP and actually better than the HSc. My question is about the hammer. Although my pistol is marked "1967" it has the triangular hammer. From what I have read on this forum that seems rather early for that hammer. Could this be an arsenal reconditioned pistol? The finish is like new and there seems to be very little wear on the internal parts. Thanks in advance for your answers.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Hammer question.

Post by robhic »

I have a 1968 with a round hammer. I was under the impression the triangular hammer was 1973 and newer - but I could be mistaken. All my 75's and a '77 have triangular hammers, so It coulda been replaced at some point. Really should be no big deal.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Plarry.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

My 1971 is round hammer, and my 1974 is triangular. I always thought it switched over sometime between.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

chestertnted wrote:My 1971 is round hammer, and my 1974 is triangular. I always thought it switched over sometime between.
And to follow up, besides the shape of the hammer there is no discernable difference between the guns. Easier to thumb the hammer back with the triangular hammer but that's about it. You should be happy, either way....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
plarry

Post by plarry »

robhic wrote:
chestertnted wrote:My 1971 is round hammer, and my 1974 is triangular. I always thought it switched over sometime between.
And to follow up, besides the shape of the hammer there is no discernable difference between the guns. Easier to thumb the hammer back with the triangular hammer but that's about it. You should be happy, either way....
I agree about the easier cocking, and yes, I am very happy with the pistol.