Nuts! Launched My Firing Pin/Spring Into Outer Space!

Info, pictures, advice...
BikerNut

Nuts! Launched My Firing Pin/Spring Into Outer Space!

Post by BikerNut »

Yay -- found them! I thought I had a good grip on it as I was pulling out the safety lever, then it shot out and hit the far wall of my gun cave.

Found the firing pin on the carpet next to my powder/primer cabinet, and the spring was tucked into a 3-ring binder on one of 18 bookshelves.

Only took an hour to find them. Good thing, because there are no replacements on gunbroker.

Going to replace the safety detent pin so that it will take one finger to turn the safety on/off instead of taking one hand.

I noticed, on the safety lever itself, that there are two detents shaped like horizontal diamonds. I'm thinking of taking my Dremel tool and gently contouring a minor "feed ramp" into each one.

Anyone ever tried that? Bad idea?

There are no P-64 safety levers on gunbroker, either...
MakAttack

Re: Nuts! Launched My Firing Pin/Spring Into Outer Space!

Post by MakAttack »

Congrats on finding the flying parts. I know how frustrating that can be. Seems like every AR build I lose something.

I wouldn't take the dremel to it, try polishing first by hand with 160 (or greater) grit emory cloth rolled up into a point. Also try some lube.

Dremel could take off too much too fast, and as you noticed a spare will be difficult to find.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I like to use a large plastic zip bag where possible when working with parts that can go flying it has saved me a couple of times.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
zardoz

Post by zardoz »

I rounded off the detent, then dremeled the grooves on the safety lever pin. Now the safety is a little stiff but can be flipped with the thumb. You can overdo it so grind a little, reassemble, and try it out. It may take a few tries but you will be happy with the results. Good luck.

Jim

P.S. A magnetic pick-up is your friend.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Yes, I've done that. BUT!!! go easy, very easy on your dremel. Just do a touch & go kinda way. What I did was like let tap the area a couple of secs then lift and check, as soon as I saw a feed ramp type of cut on both sides, I used a 1000 grit sand paper and polished the ramp.
Instead of replacing the detent pin, you can file the pointed end. I rounded off mine and when all is done, reassembled and test.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

zardoz wrote:I rounded off the detent, then dremeled the grooves on the safety lever pin. Now the safety is a little stiff but can be flipped with the thumb. You can overdo it so grind a little, reassemble, and try it out. It may take a few tries but you will be happy with the results. Good luck.

Jim

P.S. A magnetic pick-up is your friend.
+1 X 100! I used a file instead of a Dremel. File between the two detent slots will ease it up a bit and also smooth it. I also have had good results taking 1 or (at most) 2 coils off the detent spring. But go slow and easy no matter how you do it.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
BikerNut

Post by BikerNut »

Curly1 wrote:I like to use a large plastic zip bag where possible when working with parts that can go flying it has saved me a couple of times.
I usually do use a plastic bag for stuff like this. I wasn't planning on doing anything with the safety until next weekend, but I had just finished watching juniustaylor's slide disassembly video, and it was all fresh in my mind... and the slide was just sitting there on the workbench... and I just started poking at it, and the next thing I knew, I had it completely disassembled, with the firing pin and spring playing hide-and-seek.

I'm just a born troublemaker.
BikerNut

Post by BikerNut »

Thanks everyone, for the good advice.

I have some 1000-grit, 1200-grit and 1500-grit sandpaper, and some tiny files in several different shapes that I got from a jeweler some time back. So I'm going to take the slow and safe route first, reassemble the slide, and see how it feels.

I also have some fancy bolt grease (as in bolt action rifle) from Creedmore Sports that is as slick as snot.

If I have to go back into it with a dremel tool, I'll take it apart inside a plastic bag next time. :wink:
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I don't like working with my hands inside a bag, just don't. :( So what I've been doing (and must say it works well!) is put a cardboard box at one end of the work mat. I went with left side and worked from right. When the firing pin and spring would fly out, the box worked as backstop and prevented me from having to go on those 3-15 (!!!) "treasure hunts" for parts. It leaves you clear of anything to work inside of and does the same thing. Only not as obtrusive. Stick one flap of the box (make sure it's wide enough) under the mat to secure it and go for it! No bag to get in your way, the box catches all the "escapees" and life is good.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
BikerNut

Post by BikerNut »

robhic wrote:I don't like working with my hands inside a bag, just don't. :( So what I've been doing (and must say it works well!) is put a cardboard box at one end of the work mat.
No cardboard boxes handy, so I used a paper bag, and that worked well, as I managed to launch the firing pin again during reassembly. :roll:

I dremeled a very slight ramp going into each of the detents on the safety lever, polished the path between the detents really smooth, polished the point on my new detent pin, then greased everything before putting it all back together.

The detent spring is long and stiff and made inserting the detent difficult. I thought of cutting off a few coils but decided against it since I don't have a replacement spring. Managed to get the detent into it's hole after about a dozen attempts, then finally got the safety lever all the way on.

Success!

The safety works perfect now. I can flip it with just my thumb, and both the on and off positions have a very positive and secure set.

It wasn't the easiest repair job but totally worth the time and effort, and I recommend it for anyone who has a non-compliant safety.

I'm going to celebrate by buying another case of ammo for the pistol to feed on.

:P
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I luv it when a plan come together! :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary