Need advice please

Info, pictures, advice...
GunnyK

Need advice please

Post by GunnyK »

Hello All,
I am a new member and new P64 owner. I brought my gun home yesterday, cleaned it up and polished up the feed ramp. I dropped a round (brown bear, steel case) in the chamber while the gun was disassembled to check the seating and something didn't seem right. I noticed that the round stuck out a little bit more that what I'm used to seeing with my other auto handguns. Is this normal with this gun? I have attached some pics of what I'm seeing. Any help / advice with this will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
P64_2.JPG
IMG_1087 (1).JPG
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Need advice please

Post by robhic »

I just went and stuck a 'Bear' in one of my P-64s and you're really close. My cartridge went in so the upper (right/hand) side of the groove was even with the chamber housing. Yours looks like it might be 1/32 or so of an inch more stuck out? Feed ramp looks polished (!!!) but did you do the chamber? Might be a lacquer build-up from shooting the older steel-case ammo which was coated with it. A gift from the Europeans to you! :mrgreen: Cleaning might take care of that.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
GunnyK

Post by GunnyK »

I did polish the feed ramp. I probably went in the chamber a little as well. I was always taught that a nicely polished feed ramp is good for chambing with semi autos. Maybe not so with these older guns. Now I wish didn't polish it. I still haven't fired it yet. Probably will tomorrow. Hope I didn't screw up a perfectly good gun. Thanks so much for replying and the advice!
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Looks pretty close to me, but it's hard to tell by photo.

Get a snap cap or build an inert and test. Feed the snap in from the magazine. Make sure that the slide closes all the way and that the trigger will engage, which means that the Out of Battery disconnector isn't preventing use due to the slide not being in battery.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
GunnyK

Post by GunnyK »

I'll try it out. Thanks Kirk!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Gunny.

I don't think you caused any problems with a little polishing.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
GunnyK

Post by GunnyK »

That makes me feel a little better. Thanks Gary! Unfortunately I can't find any 9x18 snap caps in my area so I had to order them online. Probably won't receive them till next week but I figure it's Better to wait for the snap caps before taking it to the range with live ammo.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I , too, polished my feed ramps. I think it is a good idea and hope you didn't think I was implying that that was a problem. It's just so shiny! You did a heckuva job but I wondered if you had done a good cleaning inside the chamber as there have been a few reports of problems caused feeding AND extracting due to lacquer buildup from using the old steel-cased ammo. If not, do the chamber, too, and see if that gives you what you need.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I looked at mine. It is possible yours is just a tad off. Just see if you do have a build up in the chamber. Be careful and point down range when go to shoot it. Hope it works out.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
makczak

Post by makczak »

Not sure why. But sounds like good advise below.
Never tried Brown bear ammo.
I have always used Monarch 9x18 steel. From Academy. They always seem to carry it at 3 different story around here. Never any problems and cheapest around. $11.00/box here in TX.
Russ...
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

The lacquer buildup is a problem. I buy ammo from Bulkammo.com. They have a full price range .

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
GunnyK

Post by GunnyK »

Man, I can't thank y'all enough for all of your advice. I'm gonna take this puppy out to the range next week and I will give a full report when I'm done. It's great to have a place where people have similar interests who actually want to help others by offering their advice and wisdom. Thanks again!
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

You are using 9x18 ammo correct and not 9x19?
GunnyK

Post by GunnyK »

Yes , it is 9x18. I finally got the snap caps I ordered and everything seems to be feeding and cycling ok. I'm taking it to the range this week so we'll see how it goes. I will definitely give a full report and let y'all know how it went.
GunnyK

Post by GunnyK »

So I finally made it to the range today to try out my new P64. I put 150 rounds through it and only had 1 FTF in the beginning (maybe second magazine). I installed a new Wolfe recoil spring and put on a Handall Jr. Hogue slip on's but it's still pretty snappy. Maybe if I put on some Marshal grips it'll help a little? Anyways, it shoots just fine and I thank everyone again for all of the advice.