Trigger not wanting to engage

Info, pictures, advice...
cheyenne08

Re: Trigger not wanting to engage

Post by cheyenne08 »

Miracles still happen! Classic Firearms has sent me a return priority mail label, and a RMA letter to return the P64.
Makes me feel better about Classic Firearms.
Thought you guys would like to know.

Dale
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Good to know! Good for you.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good news!
Are they going to send a replacement?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
cheyenne08

Post by cheyenne08 »

Curly1, yes they are going to send a replacement.

Dale
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Weasel640 wrote:Probably personal preference. The 22 pound Recoil Spring is the heaviest they offer. The same that I use. It works well. Although others don't seem to notice it some of us feel that it does help the stiff/snappy recoil.
That's interesting and I'll tell you why. My youngest grandson is recoil-sensitive (bigtime) and when I setup his P64 I put a rubber hogue sleeve, 22# recoil spring and bought him a fingerless glove. He liked it.

Then I read that a heavier recoil spring didn't necessarily mitigate recoil. Huh? But then I kept reading and it kinda makes sense. The heavier spring transmits more felt recoil to your hand because it is stiffer. Think about it. What if there was NO spring and the slide hit a solid (or just a more solid object). It would be a tough recoil! You'd get 100% of the force slammed back into your hand. The lighter spring(s) provide more of a cushion effect because it absorbs more of the energy. I swapped the 22# spring for an 18# spring and didn't tell my granddude. Next time out he liked the gun even better and attributed it to the P64 breaking in. I didn't tell him anything....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I felt no difference in recoil between the 2 springs.

"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

cheyenne08 wrote:Curly1, yes they are going to send a replacement.

Dale

Let us know how the replacement works out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
cheyenne08

Post by cheyenne08 »

robhic wrote:
Weasel640 wrote:Probably personal preference. The 22 pound Recoil Spring is the heaviest they offer. The same that I use. It works well. Although others don't seem to notice it some of us feel that it does help the stiff/snappy recoil.
That's interesting and I'll tell you why. My youngest grandson is recoil-sensitive (bigtime) and when I setup his P64 I put a rubber hogue sleeve, 22# recoil spring and bought him a fingerless glove. He liked it.

Then I read that a heavier recoil spring didn't necessarily mitigate recoil. Huh? But then I kept reading and it kinda makes sense. The heavier spring transmits more felt recoil to your hand because it is stiffer. Think about it. What if there was NO spring and the slide hit a solid (or just a more solid object). It would be a tough recoil! You'd get 100% of the force slammed back into your hand. The lighter spring(s) provide more of a cushion effect because it absorbs more of the energy. I swapped the 22# spring for an 18# spring and didn't tell my granddude. Next time out he liked the gun even better and attributed it to the P64 breaking in. I didn't tell him anything....
Rohbic, I am new to the p64, but not semi auto pistols. I respectfully disagree about spring weights. What you say in one sentence about how tough the recoil would be with no spring, you then say in the next that a lighter spring would cushion the effect of the recoil.

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. The heavier spring has to absorb more of the recoil,besides having a heavier recoil spring is easier on the beating the handgun will absorb from the slide slamming back from recoil. It also will help the expended round from flying so far, because it is not coming back so fast.

Heavier springs have worked for me on 9mm, 45ACP, and 10mm pistols for years.

Just my experience from over 50 years of shooting semi-auto pistols.

Dale
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

My problem is that I am not recoil sensitive. I put on the heavy recoil spring, and really did not notice a difference! Who knows!

cheyenne08

Post by cheyenne08 »

chestertnted wrote:My problem is that I am not recoil sensitive. I put on the heavy recoil spring, and really did not notice a difference! Who knows!

I am like you, recoil doesn't bother me. Why I put heavier recoil springs in guns is two fold.

1. Save wear and tear on gun.

2. Reduce distance the gun ejects spent cases, has worked in all my semi autos.

I also think that it reduces felt recoil to some extent, and helps settle gun down for quick follow up shots.

Dale
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Other people notice it, I do not. And not in a macho way. I just can not tell the difference. My bad! LOL!

robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

cheyenne08 wrote:Rohbic, I am new to the p64, but not semi auto pistols. I respectfully disagree about spring weights. What you say in one sentence about how tough the recoil would be with no spring, you then say in the next that a lighter spring would cushion the effect of the recoil.

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. The heavier spring has to absorb more of the recoil,besides having a heavier recoil spring is easier on the beating the handgun will absorb from the slide slamming back from recoil. It also will help the expended round from flying so far, because it is not coming back so fast.

Heavier springs have worked for me on 9mm, 45ACP, and 10mm pistols for years.

Just my experience from over 50 years of shooting semi-auto pistols.

Dale
No problem and I respect your disagreement. You've got a bit more of experience than I. :hi: But, if you think about it, it does make sense. The lighter recoil spring gives a bit of cushioning (think of a pillow) as the slide recoils. Now, think of a hard sleeve of some non-compressable material. When the slide hit that it would transmit the full recoil pulse to your hand. Make sense now? I was comparing the heavy 22# spring against the lighter 18# one. Kinda makes sense with the analogy above.

But it was something I read and got me thinking. Like I stated, I put the 22# spring on my granddude's P64 to try and mitigate the recoil. I thought, as you state, that that would help. Upon reading the article about spring weights I substituted the 18 for the 22 without telling him and HE thought it felt better.

I suppose there's no wrong or right. If it works for you - use it. I substituted a lighter spring for reasons cited above and it seemed to help. I tried the 22# spring in MY P64 before putting in the kid's gun and I didn't really notice a difference, truth be told. So I took it out and went with the 20# spring but only to assist getting the slide to go into battery with more certainty because that had crept in from time to time.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
cheyenne08

Post by cheyenne08 »

Robhic, if you are happy, I am tickled to death!

Good shooting. :hi:

Dale
Wonabe

Post by Wonabe »

lucky, I was flat out refused a return by Classic :|
cheyenne08

Post by cheyenne08 »

Wonabe wrote:lucky, I was flat out refused a return by Classic :|
That's too bad, how long after receiving the gun did you wait before informing them that the gun was unacceptable?

At first they gave me the run around about inspecting and accepting gun at my FFL dealer. Later, when they asked me "Hey Dale, how'd we do"; I informed them they had sent me a defective fire arm and evidently they were not going to do anything about it. I then informed them the money they made from the sale, would not be equal to the bad publicity they were going to receive from me in Cheyenne, WY. All of a sudden they couldn't do enough for me.

In fact I will pick up my replacement gun Monday. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Dale