Trigger not wanting to engage

Info, pictures, advice...
cheyenne08

Trigger not wanting to engage

Post by cheyenne08 »

Hello, new here and in trouble. I know zero about p64's, and picked up my first today, bought from "Classic Firearms". Didn't check it out at dealers because I have had good luck with this supplier before.

Got it home and unpacked it. Noticed right away the trigger didn't look right. I knew how to field strip the gun and did so. I THINK the trigger bar will not stay in the right position. I can shoot it one shot at a time, but have to turn gun upside down to reset the trigger bar before it will engage again.

I think the fix should be simple, but so am I. Can you help and old man out here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?:

Dale
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Trigger not wanting to engage

Post by Weasel640 »

That is the Trigger Return Spring sold here:

http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php

You should also contact Classic and get a refund for your troubles.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
cheyenne08

Post by cheyenne08 »

Weasel thank you for your reply, in the pictures it shows a slide stop spring, the slide stop works just fine. Is it necessary to change both springs to get the trigger spring to work correctly?

Is there a video some where showing how to replace the trigger spring?

Thanks,

Dale
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

No, you dont need to replace the slide stop spring if its working properly. The forllowing pics on that thread posted by Weasel shows how to replace the spring.

You can also check here for the video made by another member; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4200
Wonabe

Post by Wonabe »

Can't make a return to Classic Firearms once you accept it from the FFL. Or, if you ordered with a c&r, can't return it period. :?
nerillosa

Post by nerillosa »

I had the same problem when I pressed the trigger when the gun was disassembled and the spring flew out. Just follow the videos and you should be ok.
cheyenne08

Post by cheyenne08 »

Thanks to all who replied, I will try to do the job myself, I am going to order some new Wolff springs for it. Might as well tune the old gal up right when I dig into her.

Any recommendations for best recoil spring?

Dale
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

cheyenne08 wrote:Weasel thank you for your reply, in the pictures it shows a slide stop spring, the slide stop works just fine. Is it necessary to change both springs to get the trigger spring to work correctly?

Is there a video some where showing how to replace the trigger spring?

Thanks,

Dale
That is because Norm sells both. If you scroll further down on the same page it shows the Trigger Spring, and how to install it.
cheyenne08 wrote:Thanks to all who replied, I will try to do the job myself, I am going to order some new Wolff springs for it. Might as well tune the old gal up right when I dig into her.

Any recommendations for best recoil spring?

Dale
I like the Recoil Spring at 22 pounds with the Hammer Spring at 18 pounds.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Weasel640 wrote:That is because Norm sells both. If you scroll further down on the same page it shows the Trigger Spring, and how to install it.
PLUS .... Norm thoughtfully includes copies of an installation instruction w/pictures when you order a new spring. It's a bit tight, but can be done if the pictures/instructions are followed. GOOD LUCK!!!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Let us know how it turns out Dale.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
cheyenne08

Post by cheyenne08 »

Well guys, I wimped out. I ordered another p64 today from AIM surplus. My reasoning is that I am terrible mechanically, but also wanted to get another P64 anyway, and I have no idea how long the prices are going to remain low.

I will never order from Classic Firearms again, sending a defective firearm AFTER accepting my $20.00 for "hand picking" is not acceptable, plus they have failed to reply to my email.

I ordered Wolff springs today, and may in the future get a trigger return spring from Norm, and see if I can get the job done on the one I have now. Push come to shove, I will have one for parts.

Thanks to all who attempted to help me, it is greatly appreciated.

Dale
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

cheyenne08 wrote: I knew how to field strip the gun and did so. I THINK the trigger bar will not stay in the right position. I can shoot it one shot at a time, but have to turn gun upside down to reset the trigger bar before it will engage again
Just a thought: Could the disconnector be hanging up? Part #2 on the exploded diagram? Maybe clean it up, make sure it's not hitting the frame or slide, light lube, re-assemble? Turning it upside down to work makes me wonder if that might not have something to do with it. You asked for simple! :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

For sure let us know if you attempt to fix the first P-64. I use the heaviest recoil spring Wolffe offers.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

chestertnted wrote:I use the heaviest recoil spring Wolffe offers.
Just curious - why?
- Robert

Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

robhic wrote:
chestertnted wrote:I use the heaviest recoil spring Wolffe offers.
Just curious - why?

Probably personal preference. The 22 pound Recoil Spring is the heaviest they offer. The same that I use. It works well. Although others don't seem to notice it some of us feel that it does help the stiff/snappy recoil.
Weasel