P-64 and pocket carry

Info, pictures, advice...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P-64 and pocket carry

Post by Ketchman »

Sorry to disagree but I think I worry just enough. One of my previous professions was armed courier and the amount of times my sidearm snagged on doorframes alone was staggering. (Getting into and out of the vehicle sometimes was almost comical). And some of the things it GOT snagged on let alone HOW was sometimes mind boggeling, almost like my weapon (level 2 retention leather holster) was trying to snag on things. Sooooo, with that experience in mind I think that surrounding my weapon with a tight fitting cloth bag, basically what a pocket is,, INSIDE a piece of leather that is SUPPOSED to stay in the pocket when I draw?? No.
And since we are discussing worry, what about when your sitting? I cannot see anyone doing a reasonably trouble free draw from a pocket while sitting.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
dmarbell

Post by dmarbell »

The Barsony holster in my pics is hardy enough not to allow the trigger to get snagged on anything. I wouldn't care to carry the P-64 in my pocket without a holster. I know pocket carry has it's disadvantages, and I'll deal with them if I decide to carry that way.

IWB carry doesn't solve the issue of having to take the safety/decocker off. I practice a bit yesterday, maybe fifteen minutes total, and could not reliably draw and take the safety off, when carrying in the decocker position. If I get a good, high grip with my right index finger positioned so it's down the slide, my thumb is *usually* in the correct position to rotate the safety. But enough times to make the exercise a failure, my thumb would be trying to push the safety up rather than forward. Once I was in that position, it required a change in grip to get the safety off.

I also don't like the idea of carrying in condition 3 (loaded mag, no bullet in the chamber, safety off), as I can't trust my hands to reliably cycle the slide under stressful conditions.

Danny
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And I respect your decision to carry as you see fit. But for me pocket carry with or without a holstrr is a non starter. And the issue with getting the safety off after the draw, well it is surmised that the engineers designed this gun with such a heavy DA pull as a "safety device" on purpose. That is why I carry safety off chamber loaded. Just like a DA revolver.
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

You keep saying "I respect your decision", and yet you keep trying to convince all of us that it's the wrong decision.
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I apologize to anyone who may feel that I have belittled their intelligence or made them to feel improper in any way for having made a decision they feel is well considered and thought out. However I reserve the right to voice my opinion about a subject that has been put out into this public forum for observation and comment. And I am sorry if that opinion is not considered politically correct, however that would accurately reflect the owner of said opinion. As with bungholes, everyone has an opinion, just some smellier than others, right. :wink:
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it it should fall in your "Zero fooks given" category.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz! What? Oh hello Curly. Zero Fooks given! I like that. May I use it?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yup spread the word bro. :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
dmarbell

Post by dmarbell »

robhic wrote:Have you had chance (or even wanted to...) take the safety out of the gun? I've done it mainly to free-up some stickiness and if you look at the assembly there are only TWO positions. A detent pin is spring-loaded to pop into a slot to retain the assembly in the 'FIRE' or 'SAFE' positions and that is all. There are 2 notches in the safety - not 3. if your safety is staying in a mid position it is friction holding it there and NOT a slot or notch to hold it securely so it will not move unintentionally. If you use this friction "position" the selector can go to either of the notched/designed positions whether you want it to or not if hit or vibrated or whatever.
The safety operation on its own is how you describe it. But the safety mechanism works in concert with another part, the disconnector.

There is a part of the safety on the right side that contacts the disconnector when operating the safety. This "part" (whatever it is, it's part of the safety mechanism) rides up on the front part of the disconnector. The disconnector is flat on the front part but about 45 degrees downward from horizontal, and comes to a point before becoming horizontal. The part rests on this flat part in the half setting that many folks are feeling with the safety, and provides some friction to get past in order to fully engage the safety/decocker.

While perhaps not designed to be used as a safety, the half in fact operates that way on my gun. The thought of carrying on this setting with the hammer back is a little scary. But, this might be a good half-way measure to carrying with one in the chamber and safety off, as in the hard-trigger-double-action-pull-as-safety scenario referred to above.

I'm curious as to whether one could grind a very small notch in the disconnector halfway up the forward portion to provide an actual notch for this half safety position? Would anyone feel more comfortable with that?

I searched threads about the 3-position safety fallacy. I didn't have much time to search on this next question. Have there been threads about how the Eastern Bloc cops actually carry these guns? If the consensus carry is mag loaded without a bullet in the chamber, then I'm out. I'd rather struggle with the safety/decocker position than rely on two hands to rack a round into the chamber under stress.

Danny
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I EDC IWB, 6+1, safety on. Being left handed I have always had to use off hand thumb to manipulate the safety when drawing. I also practice a one handed removal of the safety by pressing it against my leg, tilted away, and use thumb to flick safety off. Seems to be an adequate operation if I am one handed for some reason.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
RussianRifleman

Post by RussianRifleman »

I too am wary of carrying any gun in a pocket. Even if you don't accidentally pull a trigger or snag a hammer you might grab another item in the pocket or grasp the firearm AND another item. And plus, carrying IWB puts more cloth between your firearm and the prying eyes of gun Nazis and gun grabbers (Any gun I'VE tried prints more in a pocket holster than IWB)
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

From what I have read, all AD and ND w/P-64 in pocket carry is due to the safety being off, and trusting to the 20# trigger pull. A mistake.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Davidrol

Post by Davidrol »

dmarbell wrote:So, I Googled "pocket holster p64" and got discussions about Negligent Discharge/Accidental Discharge. It turns out that the NDs were caused by folks trying to pocket carry, with a holster, with the safety not engaged. I studied the issue, and it seems to me that with the safety engaged, my P-64 with safety-decocker is ND- and drop-proof. I just need to practice draw from pocket, disengage safety, and aim and shoot.

It turns out after about 100 tries, I cannot consistently draw from my pocket and disengage the safety. With an accountant's hands, the safety defeats the slight callous I have developed on the inside of the first knuckle of my right thumb. If I can contact the safety with the tip of my thumb, the movement is smooth and fast. I miss the safety with my thumb tip about half the time.

Worse yet is the thought of having two hands always free to jack one into the chamber, if I carry with full mag and no round in the chamber. Also, I lose one round. Might as well carry an Airweight revolver?

What's the answer? Get a pocket holster that covers the trigger, safety off, and be damned careful putting it into your pocket? I love my little gun, but it's about the be relegated to car/truck/house gun, and get a CM9 for pocket carry.

Danny
I found residual cosmoline imbedded in the decocker. Mineral spirits then boiling hot water in that area loosened and made it easier on the callous. Only a spoon full let it set, then flush with boiling hot water... with the slide off, of course. Then lubricate very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Virginia

Post by Virginia »

What are the differences Imran Khan between the P64 which has a 6 round magazine, and the Nawaz Sharif P83 which has an 8 round magazine? Both are 9mm Makarov.
Last edited by Virginia on February 19th, 2019, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

The P64 was the Polish Service pistol from 1964 to 1983 when the P83 was adopted. The P83 is slightly larger, uses lots of sheet metal and welding and a whole host of other differences. Search "P83" here or on Google and you will get lot's of info regarding differences between the two.