D*mn 18# Hammer spring

Info, pictures, advice...
RU98A

D*mn 18# Hammer spring

Post by RU98A »

Got my 20# recoil spring and 18# hammer spring from Wolff. The recoil spring was a breeze but my old stiff arthritic fingers and the hammer spring do not work well at all. Haven't got it in yet but will try again another day.
MinnMD66

Re: D*mn 18# Hammer spring

Post by MinnMD66 »

A vise works really good. It Helps to keep that little sucker from shootin off into the next room.
I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, I only have one small problem. I Lie.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

My first attempt resulted in massive failure, too!!! I was lucky some friends happened to show up and we did it no problem. But I ended up figuring a fairly simple way to do it and I'll tell you in case you want to try.

I take out the assembly with the paperclip (I'm assuming you got that far?), use a bit of scrap cardboard or paper to protect the upper end and clamp that sucker with vice-grips. TIGHT! Then using a pair of 6" wire cutters (the edges of the cutting blades are fairly thin...) I put them in the upper part of the spring (this is where the thinness of the blades is a plus) like I'm trying to cut the rod the spring is on (doesn't have to be held tightly) and push downward on the wire-cutters which will force the spring down. Push it down far enough (1/2" or so) and drop the mag release block over it so you can see the little hole (good light helps) and stick in the paperclip. It can be a real pain and take a couple of attempts but I've found MY old hands can do it in around 5-10 minutes on a good day. I also hold the paperclip in my mouth at the ready (like my mother probably woulda told me not to do... :mrgreen: ) so as soon as that hole is visible I can stick that clip in and DONE! Make sure that little washer doesn't get lost in the process, too. I was surprised how easy it became to do it by myself. Originally it took 2 people and my first attempt, like I said, was massive failure. I even posted about it asking for ideas. Now, it's no big deal. Good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
herr mario

Post by herr mario »

...dang...!...mine was a breeze.. :mrgreen: ..I had big trouble getting the slide back on....till I accidentally discovered it went back on easier using my other hand....! :shock:
...typical bitter clinger...
nbirnbaum2

Post by nbirnbaum2 »

I said screw it and let an armorer do all the springs for $20. I tried once, a spring went flying then the p64 spend 3 years in the safe untill I saw the forum admin here was selling what i lost.

Doing the same for my GF's P64
RU98A

Post by RU98A »

Solved my problem. Am going for a 40 mile drive tomorrow to see my gunsmith. :D Made trip today. Smithy charged $5.00.
Took him all of 5 minutes.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

My Wolff kit is in the mail. Got some tools from Bushnell's. Small hollow ground screw driver set, and drift punches. Pretty cheap. Hope it goes well!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

chestertnted wrote:My Wolff kit is in the mail. Got some tools from Bushnell's. Small hollow ground screw driver set, and drift punches. Pretty cheap. Hope it goes well!
Don't wanna be a "negative nellie" but other than taking the grips off, the screwdriver(s) aren't gonna do you any good changing that hammer spring. All you need (as I outline above) is a vice or vice-grips to hold the assembly, a paperclip (decidedly NOT a sophisticated gunsmithing tool) and some way to compress the spring so the block can be removed, spring changed and block replaced. No screwdriver or punch needed. :cry:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Yeah I know I did not need everything, but I do not have any gunsmithing tools, and thought I should. One video I watched a punch was used to drive a pin out, so might be of use. Thank you for the input though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."