Range report

Info, pictures, advice...
frameman

Range report

Post by frameman »

Hello all,
I went to the range the other day with my now modified P-64 from Aim Surplus.
I installed the lighter pull 17 lb. Wolffe hammer spring and installed some wooden grips from Grips 4U and WOW, these mods made a hell of a difference. Ran around 100 rounds through the pistol and had no hiccups of any kind.
I did manage to get bit by the slide or hammer but not really sure which . Small bite in the web of my thumb and fore finger.
I'll accept this as a right of passage into the P-64 users club.
I'm hooked!
>
> "THE
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GENIUS AND STUPIDITY IS THAT GENIUS HAS ITS
> LIMITS"...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Range report

Post by robhic »

frameman wrote:I did manage to get bit by the slide or hammer but not really sure which . Small bite in the web of my thumb and fore finger.
I'll accept this as a right of passage into the P-64 users club.
I'm hooked!
I had a similar thing happen but I don't think mine was "slide bite". The seam(s) of the grip halves come together right where the web of my hand was. Top to bottom and across the top edges. Making a sort of 'T' seam that more wore an abrasion on my web than slide bite.

I had this happen with a Bersa 380 where the perfectly smooth aluminum frame did the same thing so I have no problem believing the plastic P-64 grips' seams rubbing could do it, too. Since, I've taken to using a fingerless glove on that hand and when the scab goes away I might try some different grip position.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 wooden grips I have cause a bite also in the web,
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
frameman

Post by frameman »

This is my P-64. There are many like it but this one is mine.

And it bites!
P-64.jpg
P-64.jpg (29.45 KiB) Viewed 10717 times
>
> "THE
> LIMITS"...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:+1 wooden grips I have cause a bite also in the web,
Do you think it's the wood, the seam(s), or both? I absolutely think it's the seam forming a 'T' in that exact area on my P-64. Especially since the perfectly smooth, brushed aluminum beavertail portion of my Bersa's grip caused a small wound in the same spot. I didn't notice it until I looked down and saw a bit of blood on my hand and under the frame of the Bersa.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
frameman

Post by frameman »

I can see minor impact marks to the pistol frame where the hammer strikes it during recocking.
This is also the area on my hand where my gip would allow pinching by the hammer. Maybe a golf glove would help.
>
> "THE
> LIMITS"...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I think it's the seam getting jammed into your web with recoil..
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

frameman wrote: Maybe a golf glove would help.
If you've already got one, probably would work. If not, I got a couple of pairs of fingerless gloves for my granddudes to wear when shooting the P-64s I got for them (but keep at my house). I got them at "Overstocks.com" for (I think) about $12.
- Robert

frameman

Post by frameman »

Thanks Robert I'll check them out.
>
> "THE
> LIMITS"...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
dgreene

Post by dgreene »

I find that the original "mechanix" brand gloves work really well. They are thin but tactile enough that you can pick up small things like .22LR brass and the like. Ive used them for years. If you want to get fancy you can buy the extra special cool "tactical" mechanix gloves too LOL they are probably very nice too. I've also used the cheap elastic wrist "firm grip" you can buy at HD they work pretty well too, you can even get em in camo so you can pretend your hand in invisible while you shoot.

In all seriousness though, try one of those type of gloves. I use them a lot in the winter (auto mechanic) and you have great control but they are not "sticky" like golf gloves, and if you get the padded or gel palm type you can save some wrist pain when shooting.
zardoz

Post by zardoz »

Just an idea, which I haven't tried, but how about a piece of inner tube glued to the backstrap? You could probably test it with double sided tape.

Jim
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Some peeps have posted they used the inner tube around the grips also with improved results.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

zardoz wrote:Just an idea, which I haven't tried, but how about a piece of inner tube glued to the backstrap? You could probably test it with double sided tape.

Jim
I use one. It doesn't need to be glued, cut the tube to size and insert it like you would a Houge Rubber grip. I added a piece of Dr Scholl's pad along the length of the back strap for added comfort. It works! just like the Houge's, which was what I used to have on my P64. I didn't like how it has a bulge on both sides, making the grip a bit bulkier.
zardoz

Post by zardoz »

I was thinking of a single strip of rubber, just on the backstrap. The wrap-around rubber might snag on clothing, it also would make the grip a little thicker. Maybe a strip of innersole gel-sole. :lol:

Jim
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

zardoz wrote:I was thinking of a single strip of rubber, just on the backstrap. Jim
I'm convinced (at least with MY pistol) in that the grips come together at that exact spot, right under the "beavertail". The seams form a 'T' along the top and back center-line of the grip. The P-64 isn't shy with recoil! The even tiny bit of roughness of that seam location seems to be wearing (not cutting) the skin of my hand. Unlike "slide bite" this is an abrasion and it happened on a smooth, polished aluminum framed Bersa Thunder 380 pistol, also. If that smooth frame could draw a bit of blood, I know the relatively rougher (by comparison) plastic grips + seam convergence of the P-64 could easily do the same.

I put the Hogue rubber sleeves on my P-64s and they give a different (better/worse - your call...) feel but don't go up high enough to prevent this abrasion by the grips and seams. I think a piece of rubber glued under the beavertail, over the grip seams might work ... or it might be worse. :( The rubber would certainly grab your skin better than (thinking about the Bersa's smooth aluminum) a smooth surface so I'd keep a couple of band-aids close just in case. Let us know if you try this. I'd be curious.

Now that the web of my hand has healed, I may try a different grip technique. But, failing to like that I'm sticking with the glove as the best protection for my surgeon-like hands! :mrgreen:
- Robert