Maybe You Can Answer These 2 Questions Please

Info, pictures, advice...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Maybe You Can Answer These 2 Questions Please

Post by robhic »

I just got 2 P-64's yesterday (Saturday) and they were in fine condition. Got 'em from AIM Surplus and would use them again anyday. Before receiving the pistols I did some (a lot!) of reading and video watching. One thing continually mentioned was that P-64's had a "floating" firing pin and, as such, were not drop safe. The FP had no spring and floated freely causing this condition. Well, upon disassembly of my 2 guns to clean, lube and inspect, I noticed that the FP was visible in a slot underneath and it was inside of a spring! Is that possible? Is this some different variation of P-64? One is marked 1977 and the other 1975.

I also noticed that I could NOT rotate the safety/de-cock lever clockwise (as shown in numerous videos) so as to remove it and the firing pin. Maybe I didn't try hard enough but I didn't wanna risk breaking anything. It didn't LOOK hard in the videos but I couldn't get that sucker to budge past the upper, "fire" position. Should I try and pry it out a bit or is there something else that needs to be done?

MAGAZINES: How the heck do you disassemble the mags? I see a small pin on one side at the bottom and I also noticed a pin sticking out of the top of the cleaning rod (supplied) and wondered if that was on purpose. Do you push the pin? Lift the pin? Or is there some other way to get it apart? I'd like to take the mags down and clean them plus add a bit of EEZOX dry lube (nothing wet!!! :shock: ) inside and out. What's the trick to getting the mags apart?

Thanks and you guys are the BEST!!!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gemini1

Re: Maybe You Can Answer These 2 Questions Please

Post by gemini1 »

Not sure which videos you've watch, but this one is more informative - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4200

All semi auto pistols (that I know) has firing pin spring. It keeps the pin from protruding the breech face.
That small pin at the bottom of the mag is the end part of the spring. Push it in and slide the plate/pinky out.
electross

Post by electross »

For the mag, slip a thin but long screwdriver through the slots on each side of mag near the bottom plate, hook fingers over the screwdriver and slightly depress the spring, the plate should then easily come off. Are you still holding the spring and have it compressed? Cup your other hand over the mag where the plate use to be and pull out the screwdriver. Remove the mag spring and shake out the follower. When you put it back together, reverse the procedure but do realize you don't have to fully compress the mag spring, you only have to compress it enough for it to find its home in the slot provided for it.

Have fun, shoot straight
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gemini1 wrote:Not sure which videos you've watch, but this one is more informative - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4200

All semi auto pistols (that I know) has firing pin spring. It keeps the pin from protruding the breech face.
That small pin at the bottom of the mag is the end part of the spring. Push it in and slide the plate/pinky out.
The firing pin spring as "standard" was my thinking as well. But I watched and read somewhere that the P-64 (unless I might've been watching a Makarov video....) had NO spring and floated free. Therefore it was not DROP SAFE! This was re-iterated a few times that the pistol was not safe to drop or even bump violently because the FP could move freely. This could be something you'd probably like to be watchful of! DUH!

When I saw a spring it made me think that perhaps the pistols I had gotten were newer versions and were now drop-safe. Not that I intend to drop them to test :shock: but it's good to know that there IS a spring in there. Thanks for confirming this for me!

And thanks for that video! That 'splains why the lever won't budge - the FP is in the way! I saw that and wondered how the lever cleared the pin which was clearly sticking through the shaft. In the videos I watched they just rotated the lever up past the 'FIRE' position (like the 12 o'clock) and pulled it out. Mine- not so much! This should do the trick! Thanks again.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

electross wrote:For the mag, slip a thin but long screwdriver through the slots on each side of mag near the bottom plate, hook fingers over the screwdriver and slightly depress the spring, the plate should then easily come off. Are you still holding the spring and have it compressed? Cup your other hand over the mag where the plate use to be and pull out the screwdriver. Remove the mag spring and shake out the follower. When you put it back together, reverse the procedure but do realize you don't have to fully compress the mag spring, you only have to compress it enough for it to find its home in the slot provided for it.

Have fun, shoot straight
I'm gonna give this a try because the outside of the mags aren't as clean as the guns, themselves, are. This being the case I can only imagine what the insides look like! Thanks for the info!
- Robert

robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

OK, maybe I shouldn't have been so happy to get the info on taking the firing pin out. I did this today and all went reasonably well. Re-assembly was a major headache!!! :evil: I cleaned and checked and all actually looked OK telling me that this exercise wasn't really a big deal. Got it clean and went to put it back together. That detent piece and spring I am convinced were sent from hell to torment anybody brave enough to attempt disassembly!!! It took me literally HOURS to get it back together. Geez-Louise that was a monster. I finally got it to stay with a big glob of grease and a bit of luck. I WILL NEVER ATTEMPT THIS AGAIN. All firing pin cleaning will be done with a spray cleaner from the front and opening where the spring is visible. I think I'd rather be punched in the gut than do this again! Ouch....

Magazine disassembly was MUCH better. A little more tedious than my Glock mags but doable. I CAN see me doing this again.
- Robert

electross

Post by electross »

Yep, the firing pin spring can be a bugger. You need to use a set of hemostats or a thin set of needle nose with a heavy rubber band around the handles. With either of these you can push the firing pin way in then hold the firing pin with the makeshift hemostat. That frees up your hands for the detent for the safety. Its not hard to do, you just have not done it before.

Remember, it is a hobby.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

electross wrote:Yep, the firing pin spring can be a bugger. You need to use a set of hemostats or a thin set of needle nose with a heavy rubber band around the handles. With either of these you can push the firing pin way in then hold the firing pin with the makeshift hemostat. That frees up your hands for the detent for the safety. Its not hard to do, you just have not done it before.

Remember, it is a hobby.
I agree. I used thin needlenose pliers to hold the FP out after pushing it thru. Then the assembly was lose and came right out. Getting the detent BACK in was another deal, entirely! I didn't crimp it to the little metal end-piece as mentioned in the video (I admit that). But it kept falling out EVERY time I'd just about get things back together. Over and over and over - it was nuts! Finally got it to stay packed in vaseline (which I sprayed out when finished to prevent future nastiness...) and it worked. But that lever is really not so much easier to move up and down than before. I cleaned, gave a light rub with fine sandpaper, lubed and it works but not easily as I would have imagined it would. If I'd have known this woulda been all the result I got I NEVER would have even tried it!

Hobby, maybe. Torture YES!!!!!
- Robert

electross

Post by electross »

The definition of insanity..........Re- assemble a P64. But at least you did it and now you know what the firing pin, spring, and other assorted parts look like and how they work. Did you also take out the ejector, those have copious globs of cosmoline or some other foreign material that appears to be grease inside. I always take that apart and hose out with cleaner. It hurts so good.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

electross wrote:The definition of insanity..........Re- assemble a P64. But at least you did it and now you know what the firing pin, spring, and other assorted parts look like and how they work. Did you also take out the ejector, those have copious globs of cosmoline or some other foreign material that appears to be grease inside. I always take that apart and hose out with cleaner. It hurts so good.
Didn't take 'em apart, I just sprayed copious amounts of Hoppe's #9 'Blast N Shine' all over everything. I soaked the grips in water and dish detergent, scrubbed the metal parts with a brush and just did a thorough cleaning in general. Trigger spring broke in one so I'm awaiting one of Norm's springs (my new hero!!! :mrgreen: ) to re-assemble and finish that one up. Coated all surfaces with EEZOX dry lubricant which is a great cleaner and anti-corrosion protectant, too. Have some lighter Wolff springs on order so I don't need two hands to pull the trigger DA. That is a monster. I'd hate to think how many casualties that heavy trigger pull caused in the Polish military.

I might even wax these babies if the spirit moves me because they look really good but can always look a leeetle bit better...
- Robert

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I never remove firing pins unless there is a sign of a problem.

I spray Remington action cleaner using the straw into the FP hole at the breech till it comes out the back end.
Then use some compressed air to blow it out from the breech the same way.

Repeat with some Remoil until it runs clear on the back end when you push it out with the compressed air.

This worked great on a Collt 1903 hammer less that looked pretty clean, the bore was like new.
By using this flushing method it did remove some brown crud that could have been old grease.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:I never remove firing pins unless there is a sign of a problem.

I spray Remington action cleaner using the straw into the FP hole at the breech till it comes out the back end.
I learned that lesson! I really wanted to check to make sure the FP channel was clean. It was. I am now going to restrict myself to doing as you state and spraying from front and back with cleaner/solvent! I think I'm gonna restrict ALL of my cleaning to this method unless there is just no other way.

I ordered 2 more of Norm's trigger springs and one slide-stop spring for spares. I also ordered 2 detent pieces and springs for a Walther PPK from Numrich as some other poster said they would work in a P-64. My spares are sparse (is that a pun? :roll: ) but with care I hope I'll not need anything more!!! (fingers crossed)
- Robert