SURPLUS GOOD RATING QUESTIONS

Info, pictures, advice...
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: SURPLUS GOOD RATING QUESTIONS

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum

If it shoots good and you plan on depending on it for carry that's the important part.

Also how does the bore look?

It does look like somebody did a little steel wire work.

How is the rest of the finish?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

I'm kinda picky on my guns and how they look, if I just received that one it would be sent back.
BRJIII

Post by BRJIII »

The bore looks good with no corroding, rifling looks to be strong. I haven't shot it yet, but it most likely will operate OK. I did take the hammer spring & recoil spring out and hand cycled a couple of mags. through it with no problems (ejection is strong). The main frame looks decent, but won't win any beauty contests. The slide, rim of the chamber and trigger guard pin (beat almost flat on one side) is what seems to have taken all the abuse. Here's a couple of pics. and it is rough. Pictures removed.

tech 1, I'm not sure they'll take it back, if they consider it to be Good as advertised. This is my first dealing with Classic Firearms and don't know much about them other than what I've read in the reviews on their site.
Last edited by BRJIII on April 2nd, 2015, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

I think classic arms is good to deal with and would probably do you right if ur not happy with it.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Send Classic some pics and see what they think.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
BRJIII

Post by BRJIII »

I'll send Classic some pics. tomorrow AM and let you all know what they say when I get an answer. Thanks for your remarks.
BRJIII

Post by BRJIII »

Received reply from Classic Firearms this afternoon here is their answer to my question:

"After viewing your pictures, I've got to be honest and say yes, I think what I am seeing does indeed qualify as good on the surplus scale.
The NRA surplus scale goes like this... Poor, Fair, Good , Very Good , Excellent. As you can see Good is right in the middle and typically represents about a 60% to 70 % of new firearm."

They seem to be an honest company, so I'll live with the P-64 I received. But, I don't think I'll be buying another firearm sight unseen.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Too bad I thought they would take it back.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
BRJIII

Post by BRJIII »

I'm sure they would take it back, if I were to press the issue. Just don't feel like going through all the rig a mo row to do that. They have 74 customer pictures of P-64's scrolling across their ad screen and I didn't see one that looked as bad as mine. Guess I just happened to get one of the worst they had. I have no ill will toward the company. Life's to short to worry anymore about this.
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

That's too bad, I think the rating they gave ur gun was too high. I got mine from them a couple months ago and it looked pretty good. I was prepared to gripe if it had a billboard import mark. Makes me have 2nd thoughts about another surplus from them that they rate good to very good. But that said, they have had these for sale for sometime now and may be getting picked over. I'll stick with Wiedners, last 2 surplus guns I got from them recently were better than described. (PA63 & P83)
rickytatvt

Post by rickytatvt »

I hate to knock a site sponsor, but I also have to admit that I was disappointed with the P64 I received from Classic. I could have sent it back, but it didn't make sense to spend money on the return shipping. I received one that looked like a previous import mark was ground from the left side and then painted over with black paint that flecks off. The bore is excellent though, and it is 100% functional.
BRJIII

Post by BRJIII »

I finally shot it this afternoon and it functioned with no problems. Pretty accurate at 25 ft.. Does have quite a recoil and gave my old hand an ache. I changed the springs out with Wolf. Gave it to my oldest daughter for home protection and she seems to be happy with it. Need to take her to the range one day next week so can shoot it. As I said before I hold no ill will towards Classic. :)
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Just what I experienced, but I bought from AIM Surplus and their ad said good condition $259 w/2 mags. They had lesser condition with 1 mag for $219 so I went for the better units with 2 mags. No shipping, no tax. Pistols looked beautiful! Very good condition and I was very happy! I just ordered another from Classic Firearms with 2 mags and shipping for $236. Still waiting for it to arrive at my FFL dealer so haven't seen it, yet. Now, you've got me anxious. If it looks as good as the first ones I'll be VERY pleased. If it is chipped and dinged I will NOT be pleased - AT ALL! :evil: Their ad said "Good to Very Good Condition". I hope they mean it.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke