New 64 with problems

Info, pictures, advice...
scar13

New 64 with problems

Post by scar13 »

I just picked up a G-64 from Turners here in CA, took the gun out for its first shooting and have had nothing but problems.
Before I shot the gun, I disassembled the gun, cleaned and lubed everything.
I am using some new PPV ammo. The gun fires once and then has a failure to eject, it seems like the case is getting stuck back by the firing pin.

The gun also came missing the nut on the grips, where to buy? I did see the suggestion of the thin nut as a replacement.

Any suggestions????
craig

Re: New 64 with problems

Post by craig »

In another post by Norm Sutton, he states that Home Depot carries a M3 metric hex nut .50 pitch. It will fit your grip screw, but you will have to blue it to match somewhat.
There is no free lunch
scar13

Post by scar13 »

I saw that post about the HD nut, might end up doing this.

I don't see many places to buy P-64 parts - RTG Parts in Arizona, are there some others that I am missing?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, Gunbroker has some parts.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
scar13

Post by scar13 »

ok, I will check with Gunbroker and see what is available.

I think I meant P-64 not G-64, you know, newbie mistake

John
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

scar13
try cleaning the chamber with acetone, sounds to me like you have a lacquer build up in the chamber

NORM
"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

craig wrote:In another post by Norm Sutton, he states that Home Depot carries a M3 metric hex nut .50 pitch. It will fit your grip screw, but you will have to blue it to match somewhat.
I lost one of mine and tried to find a local replacement using this info. M3 hardware is HARD TO FIND!Most every place I went only went down as far as M4. M3 was too small. What to do? Well, i sorta did a "jury rig" with an American size 4-40 nut in brass. The OEM screw in steel is much harder than the brass. So by forcing (I hate to do that!) the non-metric brass nut onto the harder steel bolt, it cut its own threads and worked. Just have to color the gold nut black/blue to match and I'll be good. But the American screw size 4-40 will work with a bit of force.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

its an ace hardware, home depot and lowes don't carry a lot of any thing

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Caniac92

Post by Caniac92 »

I found the M3 screw I needed last week at Lowes. Very easily found.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Why do wolf recoil Springs have to ground down when they are made for the p64? What power recoil spring is recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

SCAR13, check your extractor. The lip may not be gripping the casing correctly due to buildup / gunk under that lip or it is chipped / misshapen/ broken OR the spring may be weak / broken. And +1 on cleaning the chamber. Acetone will clean out lacquer buildup in the chamber from lacquer coated cases, ie: milsurp comblock ammo or older comblock commercial ammo. Use a brass brush chucked into a power drill but DO NOT get it into the rifling, it will mess that bad. Try a .40 caliber brass brush but remember ONLY IN THE CHAMBER, not into the rifeling.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.