who knows who is lurking on the board?

Info, pictures, advice...
magicdoc

Post by magicdoc »

I don't want to alarm anybody, and I am not gonna name names, but I want to bring something to everyone's attention. Yesterday I got a pm from someone on the board whose handle was not familiar with so i went to their profile first. Brand new to the board (couple of days) and absolutely NO identifying info on profile. The persons message was basically "I see that you do some selling/buying/trading and was wondering if you could share any shortcuts or ways around the FFL and shipping regulations".

Now, I am not normally a suspicious person, but that individual was either not on the up and up, or as has happened on some other boards an ATF guy trolling for victims. Beware of what kind of information you share. Uncle Sam IS watching, and we as collectors need to make damn sure that we are operating on the up and up. I have never been asked buy a buyer or seller to bend the rules here, but it has happened on some other message boards. If we are to continue to enjoy the benefits that the internet has afforded us as collectors, we have to do it "by the book"
Doc
Last edited by magicdoc on April 5th, 2007, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Wow.

Thanks for the heads-up Doc. That would be an alarming email to receive.

Yes, keep it on the up-and-up, in life and electronically.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

that was alarming .. . anybody who is straight would never even think along those lines.. I hope it was just someone who doesnt know the rules and it was innocent
I have a small forum for a town and we use a ip tracker for verification when we had a couple of slammers and some disrupters....it doesn't tell everything but it has pinpointed locations and some info the admin. can access the infor for registering here..
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Doc
That is scary , I have had one person locally that has ask me to buy them a gun I told them no I can't sell guns though my C&R its not a business FFl I don't need the hasel

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Its like they use to say about the KKK. If you get four members together, three will be FBI.
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by duggi60 »

Magicdoc -- that email certainly has a bad stench coming from it.
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

" If you get four members together, three will be FBI" I know ya right. Da goobermint gotta keep dem agents busy doin sumpthin. You would have 2 be 'bout the dullest knife in the drawer 2 be in the least bit entertained w/idea of bending Federal law. They print the money n have seemingly unlimited resources along w/personel n last but not least you will do every day of the sentence handed down. Likewise that could have been a reporter or gun control nut looking 4 a story. Can't always harp on gun shows ya know. ...............................
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

It is scary that they (law enforcement) may be out there doing that but at the same time, thank goodness they are. I don't want anyone here to get busted but at the same time we need to do things right.

Think about the real problem people lurking out there trying to meet little boys and girls on the chat rooms etc. I read an article in a local paper a few months ago that told a story about a retired guy caught in a sting. He chatted with "a 13 years old girl" (read: State Police impersonator) and promised a ride in his private plane. He flew to a south shore town to meet her and was busted. His name and address were in the article...he lives around the corner from me!!!!! I've lived here for 18 years and raised 2 children...talk about scary!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

hummmm.............interesting to say the least, thanks Doc for the FYI!!!

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Its like they use to say about the KKK. If you get four members together, three will be FBI.
That rite there is funny, I don't care who you are....... ;D ;D ;D

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
zbysiu23

Post by zbysiu23 »

Well, at least we know the suits and ATFs work for their money... no Easter bonus here though...
truth

Post by truth »

Don't take this the wrong way......But when a decoy lures a potential wrong doer into its web....The bad guy makes a move to do whatever he has been lured into by 'The Man'. They prosecute???? That "catch a predator" show... I think they should come out with baseball bats and tire irons instead of a microphone and cameras....But there are no children just adults,
The bad guy was never talking to kids, even the decoy was over 18. It seems to me chat rooms are just that chat. You can say or be anything you want with a keyboard...How can they prosecute, intent with no evidence?? I know that is the way the law is written so they use it.... But I really feel like you need your hand in the cookie jar.. Not the intent of a cookie jar or thinking of a cookie jar...
zbysiu23

Post by zbysiu23 »

...internet...and underage subject gets very sticky..some key words we should stay away from... and it is so much fun to talk about the guns...there are hundreds of thousands lawyers choking on the laws..chewing it and spitting it in our faces.. let them chew it and chke on it..it is good to talk guns..
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Good moral character and honesty is what you do even when no one is around.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Good moral character and honesty is what you do even when no one is around.
+1 with grayfox, and well said!

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER