new to the p64.

Info, pictures, advice...
rskahle

new to the p64.

Post by rskahle »

I just go my concealed carry permit and I was looking for a good carry pistol. I had a list made up of the things I wanted in a pistol.
1. Nothing smaller than .380.
2. I wanted it to have a closed slide.
3. Thinner is better.
4. I wanted it to have a safety.
5. I wanted it to be sa/da.
6. It needed to be reliable, it needed to have a proven track record.
7. it needed to be 300.00 or under( its Christmas and money is tight)
I was about to settle on a pf9 because I couldn't find something to fit everything I was looking for. I was on my way to get a pf9 when I decided to go into very country local gun store and there it was sitting in the used section. I asked the owner if I could look at the p64 on the bottom row. he said sure what one is it, I pointed it out to him and his response was that funny little Russian pistol. I said yep that's the one, once I saw the price I new it was time to haggle. It had 175.00 on it and after haggling for about 30 minutes I got it for 150.00otd. I am very happy with it and put about 100 rounds through it some hp and the rest was fmj. It shoots very well and I am in love with it, and it checked off everything on my list. I will post some pictures of it tomorrow.
Last edited by rskahle on December 10th, 2014, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: new to the p64.

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, you got a good deal.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Welcome rskahle,
Those are pretty much my requirements as well. The the P64 has been my concealed carry since I left the PD and I have 100 % confidence in it. I think you will too. Congratulations on getting a good deal. It's worth every penny you paid and more.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
craig

Post by craig »

Welcome! You got a good deal on that P64. When you said you almost bought a pf9, did you mean a Kel-Tec PF9? The reason I ask is that the Kel-Tec does not have a safety and is double action only, so it would not have meet your criteria for a cc pistol anyway. I personally own both and find the PF9 much easier to carry but nowhere near as much fun to shoot or as accurate as the P64,
There is no free lunch
rskahle

Post by rskahle »

"did you mean a Kel-Tec PF9? The reason I ask is that the Kel-Tec does not have a safety and is double action only, so it would not have meet your criteria for a cc pistol anyway. I personally own both and find the PF9 much easier to carry but nowhere near as much fun to shoot or as accurate as the P64,"

I did, and I knew it didn't meet my criteria thats why I used the words "settle on it." But I'm glad I didn't and that I found the p64.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

rskahle wrote:"did you mean a Kel-Tec PF9? The reason I ask is that the Kel-Tec does not have a safety and is double action only, so it would not have meet your criteria for a cc pistol anyway. I personally own both and find the PF9 much easier to carry but nowhere near as much fun to shoot or as accurate as the P64,"

I did, and I knew it didn't meet my criteria thats why I used the words "settle on it." But I'm glad I didn't and that I found the p64.
The PF9 is lighter and easier to carry and, frankly, is more comfortable to shoot, plus it has one more round in the magazine. However, the P64 is far more accurate and has a je ne sais quoi sexiness to it that a modern plastic-fantastic pocket 9 can't match.

P64 vs. PF9:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4022

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
rskahle

Post by rskahle »

lklawson wrote:
rskahle wrote:"did you mean a Kel-Tec PF9? The reason I ask is that the Kel-Tec does not have a safety and is double action only, so it would not have meet your criteria for a cc pistol anyway. I personally own both and find the PF9 much easier to carry but nowhere near as much fun to shoot or as accurate as the P64,"

The PF9 is lighter and easier to carry and, frankly, is more comfortable to shoot, plus it has one more round in the magazine. However, the P64 is far more accurate and has a je ne sais quoi sexiness to it that a modern plastic-fantastic pocket 9 can't match.

P64 vs. PF9:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4022

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Not to be rude but I would have to disagree about the pf9 being more comfortable to shoot. I have shot both and the p64 just fits my hand better and I have no issue putting lots of rounds through it. The pf9 is lighter but I carry my p64 daily and have no issue with it, I use a sticky holster in the small of my back. As for the coolness and sex appeal of the p64 well all I have to say I'd of James Bond was Russian it would be what he carried, lol. I just bought a set of grips off of ebay for it and can't wait to get them on.
Attachments
1418933915089313649977.jpg
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

I have both as well & I'd have to say I SLIGHTLY prefer the PF9 overall. What do I usually carry? My P64. I leave the PF9 in the glove box, so if I forget to take a gun I have one. The PF9 is a little slimmer & lighter, so I can put it in my pocket, if needed.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

rskahle wrote:
lklawson wrote:

P64 vs. PF9:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4022

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Not to be rude but I would have to disagree about the pf9 being more comfortable to shoot.
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and different hands sometimes "fit" guns differently. That said, obviously, I too have both and shoot both. The P64 has more felt recoil. I believe this is for the three reasons which I detailed in link. First, as a simple blowback, it lacks the browning delayed/tilt mechanism which bleeds energy off. Second, while unusual for a simple blowback mechanism, the barrel axis seems to be a bit higher above the trigger than what is common on simple blowback guns or what is seen in the PF9. Third, the yoke of the backstrap is set fairly low on the P64 which, again, raises the bore axis and increases "muzzle flip" like extending the end of a lever farther out. It also has the tendency to increase slide-bite for modern shooters who are trained to hold the handgun very high up. When the P64 grip is held where the yoke fits the web of the hand, it is very difficult to receive a slide-bite. However, holding it up very high, higher than was apparently intended, does move the axis of the barrel closer to the hand which would reduce felt recoil.

Wider grips do seem to help with shooting comfort for the P64 but it's still known as "The Polish Pounder" for a reason. Some time back I had it at one of my favorite local ranges and offered to let the RSOs shoot it (it was just them and I on the range). The first took two rounds and then gave it back, remarking something about how it shoots as hard as a 357 snub. He then dared the other RSO to shoot it who only took one shot and refused to shoot any more.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

you got a great deal on the p64. i wish i could find one at that price. the p64 makes a great carry gun. the kel tec pf9 does all so. either gun will get the job done.