P-64 update

Info, pictures, advice...
zbysiu23

P-64 update

Post by zbysiu23 »

If the problem repeats itself with second different magazine and maybe third different magazine the likelihood of being this a mag problem weakens although it may be a magazine problem with this particular gun..
Dan, How many different mags did you try and with what conclusions ?
zbysiu23

P-64 update

Post by zbysiu23 »

Hi Dan,
Iam going to brainstorm a bit..if you have tried at least two mags with the same results...
First of all just as reminder..if you play with hot ammo as with snap caps just be v. careful..sorry had to say it..you know ejectors pin gun not working propely..all that..
- sometimes people change the hammer spring or shorten it to much spring is not holding mag , mag drops down , ammo not feeding...
I am sure you have done it million times ..take the grips off take the slide off load the mag and examine what is up ..what is holding the cartridge from feeding into the right place,
does the mag slides better without the grips...
Your mags and guts in them should be smooth as butter...polish all working surfaces luster them with finest sandpaper..if you do not want to take apart the mag ..push with pencil lock the spring with stick polish the insides wash it lub it...
Examine the mag ramp as it feeds into the gun there may be neet to polish the inside of mag casing of the gun..you will see if the mag slides freely or not ..sometimes there is just not enough room at the top to so so press the sides of the top of the mag and make it not feed the ammo properly....the spring of the mag should bring up and raise the second cartridge at the proper angle ritht into the barreel's chamber if is not ..figure it out polish ..smooth and luster where needs to be ...Good luck for tonight
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P-64 update

Post by bzinggg »

I don't think the sandpaper, however fine, is a good idea. The mags do need to be clean, but a little solvent to remove any crud or cosmo then a hard rubdown with a clean paper towel is perfect. Lastly, put a couple of drops of gun oil on a soft cloth and rub the mag down and reassemble. Use the oil very sparingly.

Even 2000 grit will remove blue and invite corrosion. Any time I polish with wet-or-dry, I reblue properly protecting the steel.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P-64 update

Post by normsutton »

I talk to DAN on the phone to night I told him to go fire it load only 5 rounds and see what happens because it only happens when he loads 6 , it just may need to work in or out

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

P-64 update

Post by garry »

Poor dood ! he must be ready to kill this gun by now. i feel for ya Dan, there is a logical answer here somewhere . we are all trying to take a stab at it and some are great examples of things to look for and check. Due to my inexperience , i am gonna set back and study it all , since i see that these other guys are coming up with better ideas than i am able to. i will still be chiming in when i think of something but i Know these guys are steering you the right way and one of their suggestions will solve this. try not to use it as a hammer just yet. i try to kid you here but i imagine you are tired of funny guys at this point. so i call on the GunGods to "Heal thy weapon! "

hey NORM,ABWHER, Dickfunk,Zbysui, bzinggg,others. that is your queue. heehee

Again Dan, i am not trying to p[ss you off by joking . i want to help , unfortunately i am just so unfamiliar with this issue that my brain is smoking, wanting to know "what , (mechanically speaking) could cause this.
Are you hearing the mag catch click in all the way? i have a .25 auto that it is hard to tell that the mag did not go all the way in ,even after palm slamming it in, and it jams consistantly until i positively "lock" it into the mag well and hear the click of the release button. G
daniel

P-64 update

Post by daniel »

If I keep 5 in the mag and one in the chamber, I have no jamming with the norinco shells. I have not shot it like this yet, but it seems to be working ok by hand. I appreciate all the help and the humor, I will not give up on this neat little gun. Regards Dan
daniel

P-64 update

Post by daniel »

I have been trying other rounds in the gun silver bear fmj and hp. cci and norinco, all of them feed and eject just fine, with no jamming as long as i load 5 in the mag, once i have put 1 in the chamber i load another one in the mag. 5 and 1 this seems to be working ok. Dan
barnett3006

P-64 update

Post by barnett3006 »

Dan,

Are your mags factory mags or they new production mags like what you get from forwardsupply.com?

One way to locate the problem area (whether its in the mags or in the gun itself) is to let someone else try your mags in their P-64. Where do you live? Maybe someone here is close enough to you that you could meet up somewhere. Mailing the mag is also an option if no one is within a short driving distance to you.

BTW, I'm not trying to get a free mag for myself or for someone else here :). I've been reading your threads with great interest as you seem to have a unique problem and I look forward to reading about the solution.
daniel

P-64 update

Post by daniel »

All I can say now is that if I load 5 in a mag and put one in the chamber, The gun ejects and feeds fine, If I load 6 in the mag and one in the chamber it jams. also when there are 6 in the mag I dont get a solid click when loading the mag, but with 5 in the mag, I get get a solid lock when seating the mag. Dan
redfestiva

P-64 update

Post by redfestiva »

That sorta sounds like a weak hammer spring. It effects the tension the magazine release has on the magazine I believe, is that possible guys????
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P-64 update

Post by normsutton »

red

DAN has the original hammer spring in it
I think the mag springs just need to be broke in a little bit

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

P-64 update

Post by garry »

Norm, Good calls on those posts ! certainly those are excellent bits of insight and probably the most right on !. G
daniel

P-64 update

Post by daniel »

:) :) Ok, I took my P-64 to the range this morning. I took 100 rounds of silver bear and 100 rounds of norinco both fmj. I started with 5 rounds in the mag,put one in the chamber and put another round in the mag for 5-1 fired with no problems. I shot the 5-1 combo for about a 100 rounds with no jams, Then I tried the 6-1 combo. it jammed, tried this combo seven times each time it jammed. went back to 5-1 no jams. finished off the rest of the bullets with no problems. Every time I had 6 in the mag and one in the chamber it jammed. I have no problem with having only 6 bullets to shoot. I loved the way the gun handled, I had no problem with the recoil, and it is very accurate. I realy like this gun. So I am a happy camper. I sincerely thank all of the great people on this forum for all the help. Regards Dan
nicksterdemus

P-64 update

Post by nicksterdemus »

Take the mag apart n clean it good on the inside along w/follower. Use a brass brush if ya can find 1 small enough. Slap some oil in ther n shoot the dickens outa it. Might work, might not. For me when the bullets want 2 point down in the mag either the follower, mag is dirty, rusty or grungy or the mag spring is weak. You can gently stretch the mag spring n it'll work 4 a while IF that is the prob ............
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

P-64 update

Post by garry »

Great to hear Dan !!! they are indeed a good pistol, and accuracy is wonderful ! I am glad the recoil isn't a bother for you ! i don't see what the recoil fuss is about but, Mine feels great in stock configuration. I have medium size hands but fairly strong grip and i added a hogue universal makarov type grip /trimmed with scissors and it is a fine cushion . It was fine w/out but i thought $7 was worth trying it on. and i liked it so i keep it on and it looks kewl with the P-64 finger grips. I am sure liking the Camo Zee Grips tho and if i can get a set i would change . Heck , i like any P-64 i have seen so far , except for the Pink grip ones . heehee Maybe for my Wife !! .
Let us know if you do any ballistic note taking, and maybe you could share it here with us ! I have not seen any of the Norinco Ammo around KCMO area yet . The CCI Ammo did NOT agree with my gun from an accuracy standpoint. i had really loose groups with it. again "My Gun" .

I like the S&B well enough and am reloading those carcasses mostly . The Hornadys are fine and several others shoot ok groups. I really like how accurate they are at longer distances (50 yrds) !! Anyhoo . When you get time to go shoot it some more , let us know what it does for you !!! G