question about the slide

Info, pictures, advice...
scoobysnacker

question about the slide

Post by scoobysnacker »

I recently got my P-64 from J&G, and I'm a little curious about something- what was on the left side of the slide that was ground off? Seems like someone took a grinding wheel to mine, I can still see the original 9mm "P 64", but it appears that there was something else above it, along the flat facing. Something that somebody went to a lot of effort to remove. When I look, it sure looks like the entire rest of the slide was erased with a sander, to the point that you almost feel a wave in the metal with your fingertip.

Was there a crest or something, maybe related to the Soviet era, that the Poles decided to remove?
scoobysnacker

Re: question about the slide

Post by scoobysnacker »

ok, using google, I can see what it was... another pistol shows a different import mark. The picture I see shows a mark from PW ARMS REDMOND WA, in the same area... mine is buffed in a brutal way there (assuming they removed that mark). Mine has CAI on the curved upper contour... :cry:
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

That sucks. Is it now bare metal? I've never seen on like that. Can you post a pic?
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I'd send it back, or demand a new slide from them. They are required by law (I think) to put an import stamp on the side of the slide.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 I would get them to replace it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
scoobysnacker

Post by scoobysnacker »

Hi, sorry about the late reply, been busy working and dealing with car issues (and stumbling across a deal on a IJ70 AH). As you can see, the left side of the slide is practically bare metal; with some markings from a grinder or sander. The right side looks fine. In regular light, it wasn't immediately noticeable, I think it may have had some cold blue added so it wasn't "white". The CAI markings are very rough to the touch, and the flat side seems pretty smooth.

Gun works fine, shoots fine; and I think it's a little late for me to try to fight with J&G this far down the road. I might try my hand on polishing it as best I can, then trying out the "drain cleaner" hot blue
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thread ... tic-bluing

I've been intrigued by the rebluing, it really seems to come out well. I've just needed a test subject :lol:, and this would be a "slide only" job. If it works, I have 3 older pistols that could benefit from being reblued (and lack any collector value); an older Norinco T-54, a H&R 999 Sportsman, and a High Standard Sport King.
Attachments
p-64 slide.jpg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I would not be happy with what they sent either.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Curly1 wrote:I would not be happy with what they sent either.
I agree. That just don't look right.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
LantanaTX

Post by LantanaTX »

I was going to try the Drain out bluing but could not find any to buy. So I bought the same chemicals in in Drain out and re-blued a Makarov that turned out beautiful. Here is a link to the How to project:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... ue-Project
scoobysnacker

Post by scoobysnacker »

LantanaTX, that's an awesome step-by-step. I think I can do this with my brother over a weekend; we have the burner for crawfish boils, and most everything else should be at hand at nearby stores. I'd prefer the Drain Out method, but in a pinch I think we can figure out the correct amounts.

Do you think you had enough to do several guns, if you do more parts at the same time?
LantanaTX

Post by LantanaTX »

Just remember this is dangerous and if your crawfish pot is aluminum you cannot use it, nor can you use a steel pot with aluminum rivets holding the handles on. Any aluminum will be dissolved very quickly.

basic recipe is 2 gallons distilled water, 4lbs lye, 3lbs nitrate of Soda

if it boils before 275 add some lye,