Another new P64 owner

Info, pictures, advice...
Wacousta

Another new P64 owner

Post by Wacousta »

Hi all,

I just finally broke in my C&R and got a 1969 P64 a couple of days ago from Classic. I have not even fired it yet (my ammo order is scheduled to arrive today, so I'll update). Although listed as G/VG, I'd call the gun VG/E. There is just a bit of holster wear on the muzzle, and it looks to have been fired very little since there is no visible wear on the feed ramp, chamber, etc. Also, the gun was clean with light oil and no cosmoline.

The DA trigger is unbelievably awful, even after expecting it from reading up on the P64 before ordering. SA is good. I will refrain from swapping springs until I've fired it.

I do have a magazine question. The gun was supposed to come with two magazines from Classic, but mine shipped with only one. An email to Classic had a second one mailed to me very quickly. The second magazine, however, is slightly different; the cutout where the feed lips are is smaller than on the first mag. My understanding is that this mag is post-1972. Will this work okay in my 1969 pistol?
Teneo lupum auribus.
45collector

Re: Another new P64 owner

Post by 45collector »

I didn't even know there were any differences in the magazines throughout production years, but I would assume it will function without troubles. You don't hear of many issues with these guns, except maybe the safety engaging during firing. That happened a few times with mine until I replaced the plunger with a modified 1911 one, and it's worked perfectly ever since.

Nice choice in breaking in the C&R by the way. 8)
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Wacousta,
Welcome to the fold. Yes there is a difference between to earlier and later model magazines having something to do with the lips on top being a bit longer I believe but I don't recall right off what it is. I know it's a quick repair with a dremel tool but don't start cutting until someone more knowledgeable that I chimes in and there are many. Alternatively you can go to modifications, fixes, and repairs sections on the main page and type "magazine problems" without the quotations There has been much already written about it. You'll find what you're looking for there as well. Anyways welcome.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Wacousta

Post by Wacousta »

Okay, so I did a bit of reading about new vs. old magazines and I carefully ground and filed the feed lips on my new-style mag so that it matched the old-style one, more or less.

My ammo came, a couple of boxes of Silver Bear FMJ, so I tried it out for the first time. 8) Both magazines worked without issue so far. The recoil didn't bother me much, but probably because what I had read led me to expect it. Also, I only fired a dozen rounds, so who knows how I'd feel after a few boxes.

The slide doesn't bite me because I have fairly slender hands, but the trigger sure slaps my finger pretty good. I was not terribly accurate with it, but I did manage to bounce a coffee can around a bit from about thirty feet.

So far, so good! :lol:
Teneo lupum auribus.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Wacousta.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary