Newbie here. Naive question..

Info, pictures, advice...
3rdStooge

Newbie here. Naive question..

Post by 3rdStooge »

Hi Folks,

I've been checking in every now and then while anticipating the arrival of my P-64. It's here and I have yet to get to the range.
As with anything new , I'm thinking about tinkering with springs and grips. Now a new thought: is there any application of Hi-Viz sights to a P-64 that doesn't make me look too stupid, so soon?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie here. Naive question..

Post by dfunk »

Hi and welcome. The only thing that would be foolish, in my opinion, is not shooting it stock on the first outing. Why mess with springs when you have no idea how it will perform to begin with? Also, don't forget, a few hundred rounds can really help smooth things out with any firearm - P64 included.

RE Sights: Short of milling off the sights and replacing them with a custom set, they are what they are. Small, but usable. A lot of people will paint the front sight a bright color with enamel paint or fingernail polish to help see it, but I think a glossy coat of paint is too shiny and actually hinders the picture. To each his own!
3rdStooge

Post by 3rdStooge »

Thanks. Since my P-64 is in virtually new condition, I'll send those rounds through and see what she feels like after breaking in. The DA right now is a bear!
garybok

Post by garybok »

Good advice from dfunk. Definitely get a couple hundred rounds through it before tinkering. The DA trigger put me off at first too, but after a few range sessions I'm quite comfortable with it. As long as you squeeze consistently and don't hesitate (in other words, don't try to "stage" the trigger like you might in a DA revolver), it becomes predictable and workable.

As to the sights, they are what they are. I don't like the idea of slathering paint on mine, but I found a better solution that works for me: a little dab of "Wite Out" -- the old-fashioned correction fluid for typewriters. It really helps if you're firing against dark targets like Shoot-N-See targets. Plus, you can scrape it off with your thumbnail -- no harm done, no need for a metal tool that could damage the finish. Because of that, you'll probably have to redo it every few sessions, but it only takes a second. It can be tricky to get it on neatly on the rear sight, but the front sight is what really matters. The best part, to me, is you're making no permanent change to the weapon.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the froum.

Give us a range report.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Transport

Post by Transport »

Ahoy!

I agree with dfunk, I painted my front sight red, and the rear outlined in white. With this set up the sights show up great!

Problem with these great little pistols are just like peanuts- "One is not enough!"

Transport out
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Transport wrote:Ahoy!

I agree with dfunk, I painted my front sight red, and the rear outlined in white. With this set up the sights show up great!

Problem with these great little pistols are just like peanuts- "One is not enough!"

Transport out
And I agree with Transport. I always use Testors model paint. I paint the front sight with fluorescent red and outline the rear sight with flat white, on blued guns. On stainless or chrome I use the fluorescent red on the rear, too. "Slathering" is not required. A rounded toothpick works nicely. :wink:
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Check here - http://p64resource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4538
A person did do some mill-work and made a hi-viz sight work.

I always applied a white base coat and then a red layer over the white. Helps it stand out, using Tester's model car/plane paint.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF