P64 arrives today

Info, pictures, advice...
Mitchman705

P64 arrives today

Post by Mitchman705 »

Hey guys, new to the forum. I bought my first P64 from AIM and it comes in today. My main question for you guys is that I'm in love with the grips on the homepage. I've been checking out some other recommended sites too but I always come back to those. Thanks guys!

Mitch
dcsadmin

Re: P64 arrives today

Post by dcsadmin »

I have a set of grip made by Dennis for my M57 Tok. His work is great.......
Mitchman705

Post by Mitchman705 »

Just arrived. I'll post pictures later. The slide appears to have a hue of purple to it. Is that from the original finish or probably a refurb done at some point?
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Mitchman705 wrote:Just arrived. I'll post pictures later. The slide appears to have a hue of purple to it. Is that from the original finish or probably a refurb done at some point?
Might have been re-blued or it might be original. Some steel tends to "plum" after being blued. It's not unusual and is no reflection on the gun's quality.

As to Denes and Gustav Marschalko's grips, they are top-notch. Not cheap and not particularly fast but they are nice. Note that they make P-64 grips in both the original shape and in a "flat-bottom" version. The latter make it a little bit easier for pocket carry, but the former give you more to hold onto.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Mitch.

Plum slides, frames and othe parts are due to an issue with the bluing solution being a bit off.

I have a Luger with a plum top half.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Curly1 wrote:Welcome to the forum Mitch.

Plum slides, frames and othe parts are due to an issue with the bluing solution being a bit off.
Have to disagree, Curly. I've had a Bulgarian Pistolet Makarova and a Beretta Modelo 1934 hot blued and both had some parts which "plummed" after a while. In both cases, of course, all of the parts were blued at the same time and in the same solution. I've been told several times that it has something to do with the composition of the steel, itself.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Much discussion here on this but steel composition does look like the culprit.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolv ... -plum.html
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Mitchman705

Post by Mitchman705 »

Would getting it reblued cost much? I'm not usually one for altering the original finish but just wanted the thoughts. I know it's not a rare or expensive piece, but original is original.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Mitchman705 wrote:Would getting it reblued cost much? I'm not usually one for altering the original finish but just wanted the thoughts. I know it's not a rare or expensive piece, but original is original.
If you want to get it re-blued for cosmetic reasons, a good hot blue job (including disassembly and re-assembly) would probably run around $150 or so. I'd just about guarantee, though, that any parts which plummed the first time will do it again.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

You could try rust bluing. It's cheap, easy to do, and hard to screw up.

http://www.czforum.com/index.php?topic=3769.5

From this:

To this:

Finished product:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

That turned out real well Kirk.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Sure did. (Except that it doesn't look much like a P64 anymore. :wink: )
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Thanks. The process is not quite idiot proof but it's pretty darn close.

I'd like to rust blue my P83 but I can't find detailed takedown and reassembly instructions anywhere (not even youtube!) and I'm a-scared-ed to to just start pulling it apart. I'd hate to take the proverbial "baggie of parts" to my gunsmith.

I'm still toying with the idea of videotaping the takedown.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

You may find this useful then:

http://www.bielorz.friko.pl/wanad/wanad.htm#105

This is the Police training manual for the Wanad, including detailed take-down and exploded parts diagrams:
http://katowice.szkolapolicji.gov.pl/pu ... =3387&sa=1

If you need help translating something just post up, although I don't know *all* of the technical terms.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Thanks. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk