Does anyone find that wearing gloves helps with web bite?

Info, pictures, advice...
vistula

Does anyone find that wearing gloves helps with web bite?

Post by vistula »

Mine has the original spring(s) and corresponding hefty recoil. So much so that after 3 or 4 magazines at the range I switch to another pistol. I'm thinking that wearing light gloves may help with the web bite caused by the recoil. Has anyone tried this?
wlockridge

Re: Does anyone find that wearing gloves helps with web bite

Post by wlockridge »

vistula,
If you're getting "web bite" then you need to work on your grip. If you can, have someone with a good camera or a cell phone with a good camera in it, take a video, the more resolution the better, of you shooting the gun. Fire one magazine and then transfer the video to your computer or laptop and really slow it down with whatever editing program you have. You'll see what I mean. It worked wonders for my wife, she used to get slide bite all of the time but after seeing herself in slow motion she really worked on her grip. Her grip used to be so bad that she actually cut her thumb bad enough that she had to get stitches. She saw where her mistake was and corrected it and no more web bite. I used to do that for the guys at the police department when we were out qualifying and it helped a lot of them that were having grip issues. I can guarantee you that if you're getting slide bite you do not have a firm grip on the weapon. There are as many opinions as there people when it comes to grip style so get ready for a LOT of advise :lol: Personally, when shooting two handed I grip the weapon with my right hand firmly but not real tight making sure that my web is under the protrusion and then use my left hand to lock my grip, a slightly modified cup and saucer style is my favourite, and I lock that thumb down TIGHT. That leaves my right hand somewhat loose so I can properly control the trigger and aim properly. When I first get a gun, after making double and triple sure that it's EMPTY, I sit on the couch while watching TV and I just practice picking the weapon up and practising my grip and I practice acquiring targets you know a picture on the wall, someone on TV, the wife's cat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, I hear her coming so NOT the CAT, NOT the CAT, just kidding :shock: . Gotta go, try some of the things I pointed out and you'll be surprised how quickly the slide bite goes away. You and yours stay safe.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

I do not think the Op was referring to slide bite. I think he was referring to his hand getting soar especially in the web area simply for the heavy recoil on small grips.

Yes gloves will help this. Also some people get rubber slip on grips, these help too, and and made by multiple brands. Also changing the recoil spring to a heavier on may help as well.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Gloves will help for long range sessions however if this is your CCW I would suggest not getting used to using gloves all the time in practice so you don't lose the "feel" of firing w/o gloves if needed.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
vistula

Post by vistula »

Weasel640 wrote:I do not think the Op was referring to slide bite. I think he was referring to his hand getting soar especially in the web area simply for the heavy recoil on small grips.

Yes gloves will help this. Also some people get rubber slip on grips, these help too, and and made by multiple brands. Also changing the recoil spring to a heavier on may help as well.
Indeed. I've only had slide bite once and been careful ever since! I believe the trigger guard on the
P-64 was made large so that it could be fired with gloves on during a typical Polish winter. As far as
modifications go, I prefer to leave mine the way it came...as God intended it to be!
vistula

Post by vistula »

Curly1 wrote:Gloves will help for long range sessions however if this is your CCW I would suggest not getting used to using gloves all the time in practice so you don't lose the "feel" of firing w/o gloves if needed.
CCW? I wish. This is California here! :cry:
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Weasel,
Yep, I looked at it again and I see what you mean. Whenever you hear the word "bite' around here someone's heading for the first aid kit :shock: Those sleeves are kind of nice, they cushion it a little and the finger grooves in the front help with you aim too. The down side to them is that they stretch after awhile so it pays to get a couple. I do agree with Gary however, getting used to shooting with gloves isn't the best idea. You should practice with your weapon the way you're going to shoot it on the street. My wife shoots mine and it's the only one she DOES"NT complain about recoiling too hard. Go figure. Later. be safe.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

vistula wrote:
Curly1 wrote:Gloves will help for long range sessions however if this is your CCW I would suggest not getting used to using gloves all the time in practice so you don't lose the "feel" of firing w/o gloves if needed.
CCW? I wish. This is California here! :cry:

Sorry to hear that.

It is just as bad in NY.

My county will only grant CCW if work related and then you can only CCW during work time.

The next county over no problem granting CCW so it depends where you live.

Fortunatly we got ours back in the 70's when there weren't as many gun grabbers in this state.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary