Replacing the grips after field stripping...

Info, pictures, advice...
vistula

Replacing the grips after field stripping...

Post by vistula »

Is there a technigue to doing this quickly? Sometimes, it takes me several minutes to get both grips in the correct position for the screw to be tightened. Thanks, all.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Replacing the grips after field stripping...

Post by Curly1 »

I have the same issue even with the Marschals grips.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Yeah, what Gary said :D . I find both my original as well as my custom grips somewhat of a bear to get back on. I usually just mess with it until it snaps in. I find that getting both grips on correctly prior to sticking the screw in it helps. I've heard of people sanding down the edges on the inside in an attempt to make it easier but I would think it would make the grips fit loosely and allow them to shift around while shooting. My original grips will do that now it I fail to get the screw good and tight. Stay safe.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I must ask, do you really remove the grips all that often? I rarely find the need to take it down this far, and have sent hundreds of rounds down range.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

I remove mine every 3rd or 4th cleaning (I clean it every time I shoot it). I like to make sure the hammer spring assembly doesn't have any crud built up in the springs, and give it a drop or two of oil. Other than that no, I don't pull them off that much. I got to thinking about it and, if I recall correctly, one edge or the other, of the original plastic grips, I think it's the front edge (towards the trigger guard) has a bit of an angle to it and if you get that edge in first, then the back one pops right in. If I think about it tomorrow, I'll pull mine apart and look at it. Later.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have only removed mine a few times when changing the grips and when I first got it to inspect and oil but remember it was PITA.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
vistula

Post by vistula »

wlockridge wrote:Yeah, what Gary said :D . I find both my original as well as my custom grips somewhat of a bear to get back on. I usually just mess with it until it snaps in. I find that getting both grips on correctly prior to sticking the screw in it helps. I've heard of people sanding down the edges on the inside in an attempt to make it easier but I would think it would make the grips fit loosely and allow them to shift around while shooting. My original grips will do that now it I fail to get the screw good and tight. Stay safe.
I find the right hand side grip (looking at it from the back) goes on fairly easily. Then I put the screw in and juggle the left hand side grip until it's snug in the frame. I have no idea why it's so tricky - there's a raised part of each grip that fits exactly into the opening in the frame.
vistula

Post by vistula »

snailman153624 wrote:I must ask, do you really remove the grips all that often? I rarely find the need to take it down this far, and have sent hundreds of rounds down range.
I take them off during ever field stripping, more out of habit than any real need.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

vistula wrote:
snailman153624 wrote:I must ask, do you really remove the grips all that often? I rarely find the need to take it down this far, and have sent hundreds of rounds down range.
I take them off during ever field stripping, more out of habit than any real need.
You will accelerate an early demise; taking something apart more often than needed just causes wear and damage, just like washing your clothes daily, even if you didn't wear them. It's yours to do with as you please, but I don't think it's necessary to take the grips off to clean it at all, other than an initial takedown (for a newly acquired piece).
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Smailman, Sir I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Firearms are designed to be field striped and the only thing "accelerating the wear" is continually firing a dirty gun. You're letting yourself in for failures to feed and extract at the very least. Guns were designed to be cleaned hence the ease with which they can be disassembled. Comparing cleaning your weapon to washing your clothing is like comparing apples to oranges. One is made from cotton and the other of hardened steel. All I recommend is not overusing the bore brush. I've seen barrels damaged that way, If you keep it clean, you don't need to be running a brush down it much unless you see carbon buildup after you have cleaned it. A little time and oil is a cheap investment to ensure that, when you need it, your firearm will go boom several times if need be. Vistula, by the way I checked mine and the front edge does have a slight, it's almost like a little slit that fits over the edge of the frame in it, in order for the grips to catch the front edge of the frame to make them fit tight. If you put them on front edge first and make sure they're seated the back is then no trouble at all, at least not on mine. I just took mine off and put them back on while I took a smoke break as I was writing this and I timed myself and it took 2:05 minutes and I wasn't in a hurry. Hope this finds everyone safe and well.
PS: Snailman, I wasn't trying to be a smartass or a know-it-all, promise.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I've taken the grips off perhaps 3 times ever; there's never anything dirty back there. The parts of this gun that were meant to be field stripped don't require tools.

Heck, many more modern firearms you can't get at these parts anyway, without a complete disassembly. Composite frames with integrally molded grips dictate that you have to remove the entire trigger assembly to get at the equivalent parts...it's not necessary, any more than lubing the trunk of your car is needed to keep the wheels turning.
vistula

Post by vistula »

snailman153624 wrote:I've taken the grips off perhaps 3 times ever; there's never anything dirty back there. The parts of this gun that were meant to be field stripped don't require tools.
Yes, but the tool that comes with the P-64 has a screwdriver bit at one end...presumably for the screw that holds the grips.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I like to take the grips off any of my pistols I shoot occasionally to put a little oil on moving parts under the grips also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

vistula wrote:
snailman153624 wrote:I've taken the grips off perhaps 3 times ever; there's never anything dirty back there. The parts of this gun that were meant to be field stripped don't require tools.
Yes, but the tool that comes with the P-64 has a screwdriver bit at one end...presumably for the screw that holds the grips.
My motorcycle came with a tool kit as well, that doesn't mean you are expected to use it every time it's ridden. There are definitely valid reasons to take the grips off, I just personally don't think it's necessary to do it after every trip to the range, or heck, after every dozen trips. The grips are plastic, and the bluing on the steel wears off the more you fiddle with it. That's just my opinion, and I don't fault anyone for doing something different...but this is a forum where opinions are intended to be presented.
vistula

Post by vistula »

snailman153624 wrote:
vistula wrote:
My motorcycle came with a tool kit as well, that doesn't mean you are expected to use it every time it's ridden. There are definitely valid reasons to take the grips off, I just personally don't think it's necessary to do it after every trip to the range, or heck, after every dozen trips. The grips are plastic, and the bluing on the steel wears off the more you fiddle with it. That's just my opinion, and I don't fault anyone for doing something different...but this is a forum where opinions are intended to be presented.
Indeed. The original Polish language manual says that frequent and unnecessary dismantling of the weapon is unacceptable ("niedopuszczalne") because it causes wear to the mechanism(s). Possibly over here we tend to go a little overboard on field stripping.