Where is price headed?

Info, pictures, advice...
bigduke6

Where is price headed?

Post by bigduke6 »

Supply of P64s seem to have all but dried up. What seems to be a fair price these days? Back in 2009 I think I paid 175 (kick myself for ever getting rid of it) and paid 220 a few weeks ago when one turned up at the pawn shop and I was glag to get it. I realy wanted another one and may have went 250 or so but that would have been it. Where do yall think the price line will finaly be drawn for the average person.
snailman153624

Re: Where is price headed?

Post by snailman153624 »

There are a few of them at the local Gander Mtn here, that have been there for over a year. I think they are asking too much at $250. They have some minor scuffs, and on some the grips have deformities from being dropped.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

I believe that like most commodities, the price will go where we send it. My dad use to have a saying when I would pay too much for something just because I wanted it right at the moment and wasn't willing to wait until the initial "whatever the market will bear" price didn't fly and it was repriced to something more reasonable by means of a "BIG SALE". What he would say to me was "nice work son, you just screwed the next guy in line," Crude but you get the point. As Snailman said, there are a few, I would even submit that there are quite a few, that have been at Gander Mountain for over a year for $250.00. They are betting that these fine little firearms will become a collectors item and that they can crank the price up to yet another 100% or more over what they paid for them. The can afford to wait and see. Don't misunderstand, I love my little P64 but let's face it at the end of the day they ain't Colt Peacemakers, they're eastern bloc hand-me-downs. Most have to be reworked before you can even shoot them somewhat comfortably. Ammunition is next to impossible to find and when you do it's expensive, parts are hard to find and expensive as hell, and as far as I know they didn't win the West, freedom for Poland (or the 8 or 9 other countries that made them), and were never a weapon that because its design and reliability, were highly sought after by troops to carry onto the battlefield such as the first revolvers or lever action rifles were. They're curiosities hence the C&R designation. All of that being said, I would love to have another myself but it will be a cold day in hell before I give Gander Mountain, or anyone else for that matter, a penny more than $200.00 for one. I won't be "screwing the next guy in line" just to get one, they can keep them until they rust. In reality they are a 150 to 175 dollar surplus firearm that shoots an odd bullet. I can buy a Bursa Thunder 9mm for a buck fifty on a good day or a small frame Taurus 9mm with a lifetime warranty for a little over two hundred and they haven't been used, then smeared with cosmoline and then left lay in a leaky warehouse for twenty or thirty years.
Now I realize that my above statements just got me defriended by a few more members but I would challenge anyone to debunk anything I said. The answer to your question is that the P64 is, and should remain, a $200.00 gun on it's best day, that is unless there are enough people willing to screw the next guy in line.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
losingle

Post by losingle »

Your comparisons to Bersa or Taurus guns I am not particularly fond of, show me where you are coming. The p-64 I bought is c&r eligible because like Mauser, Enfield, Mosin-Nagant or Springfield it deserves a place in history. Not sure about the price although I paid more than 200.00 for mine. I thinks its more about the condition of the gun and accessories magazines.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

I just got my SOG flyer today and they have P64's
listed for $229.95 Extra mags $17.95
Denny
tai

Post by tai »

wlockridge wrote:I believe that like most commodities, the price will go where we send it. My dad use to have a saying when I would pay too much for something just because I wanted it right at the moment and wasn't willing to wait until the initial "whatever the market will bear" price didn't fly and it was repriced to something more reasonable by means of a "BIG SALE". What he would say to me was "nice work son, you just screwed the next guy in line," Crude but you get the point. As Snailman said, there are a few, I would even submit that there are quite a few, that have been at Gander Mountain for over a year for $250.00. They are betting that these fine little firearms will become a collectors item and that they can crank the price up to yet another 100% or more over what they paid for them. The can afford to wait and see. Don't misunderstand, I love my little P64 but let's face it at the end of the day they ain't Colt Peacemakers, they're eastern bloc hand-me-downs. Most have to be reworked before you can even shoot them somewhat comfortably. Ammunition is next to impossible to find and when you do it's expensive, parts are hard to find and expensive as hell, and as far as I know they didn't win the West, freedom for Poland (or the 8 or 9 other countries that made them), and were never a weapon that because its design and reliability, were highly sought after by troops to carry onto the battlefield such as the first revolvers or lever action rifles were. They're curiosities hence the C&R designation. All of that being said, I would love to have another myself but it will be a cold day in hell before I give Gander Mountain, or anyone else for that matter, a penny more than $200.00 for one. I won't be "screwing the next guy in line" just to get one, they can keep them until they rust. In reality they are a 150 to 175 dollar surplus firearm that shoots an odd bullet. I can buy a Bursa Thunder 9mm for a buck fifty on a good day or a small frame Taurus 9mm with a lifetime warranty for a little over two hundred and they haven't been used, then smeared with cosmoline and then left lay in a leaky warehouse for twenty or thirty years.
Now I realize that my above statements just got me defriended by a few more members but I would challenge anyone to debunk anything I said. The answer to your question is that the P64 is, and should remain, a $200.00 gun on it's best day, that is unless there are enough people willing to screw the next guy in line.
Cool, well-written kind of anecdote, in spite of the deprecatory language as to the firearm. I am new to the P-64 and think that it's grand for a curio and relic, and good conceal weapon. Enjoyed the story, though.
tai

Post by tai »

leadhead2 wrote:I just got my SOG flyer today and they have P64's
listed for $229.95 Extra mags $17.95
Denny
Relatively new to the firearm and all this -what is the SOG flyer?

I don't have a C&R because they are now basically worthless in California, as every gun has to go through FFL now, including long guns. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

Southern Ohio Gun...... SOG International
Dealer in Ohio.
Denny
tai

Post by tai »

Thanks, Denny.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

losingle wrote:Your comparisons to Bersa or Taurus guns I am not particularly fond of, show me where you are coming. The p-64 I bought is c&r eligible because like Mauser, Enfield, Mosin-Nagant or Springfield it deserves a place in history. Not sure about the price although I paid more than 200.00 for mine. I thinks its more about the condition of the gun and accessories magazines.
I certainly didn't, mean it that way. I LOVE my P64 and would own ten more if I had the money but not for a dime more that $200.00 apiece and that's in top condition. It's just all the gun is worth. I mentioned Bersa because it scary how much, design wise, that they are like the P64. As far as Taurus goes, I carried one the entire time that I was on the department. A .357 revolver. I wouldn't carry anything but a revolver because I never, until now, was able to find an auto-loader that I would trust with my life. On the other side of the coin, other than being made in the Radom factory in Poland, it has little to recommend it as a collectors item other than the fact that it is 50+ years old. The weapons you mentioned above were, in fact, involved in many major conflicts and most of their technologies were new and ahead of their times. A weapon's place of manufacture alone doesn't, by itself, guarantee it a place in history. The C&R designation is given by our government (oftentimes for reasons even they can't fully explain) to make them easier to sell and ship. It doesn't guarantee that they will increase in value which is what I said originally. I feel bad pointing out the P64's few weaknesses as I do love it so but then again I thought that's why we ask questions, the answers to which tend to be as much opinion as fact it the first place, in order to get a range of responses through which we can then form our own opinions. When I answer a question I try to do it truthfully as I can and I don't really care to sugar coat it. As adults we should be able to agree to disagree and move on. A spirited discussion is one thing and an argument is another, and argument being what spirited discussions tend to devolve to after the third volley or so so I choose to end this one here. It was very nice speaking with you.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
45collector

Post by 45collector »

As with any surplus gun, they will dry up one day and all the budding collectors will say "Damn, I wish I were around when they were $169!". I've only been collecting firearms since the late 1990's and in that short amount of time I've seen C&R/ surplus stuff go way the hell up in prices. Even the surplus ammo seems to be drying up (7.62x25 bulk for instance, is a bitch to find lately).

The first C&R pistols I got into were East German Makarovs and I'm glad I did before the prices started reaching over $300. At this point I wouldn't sell any of mine for less than $450, and that's only because I don't want to sell them. I have one minty P64 I shoot occasionally. They are nice little guns and to me they are worth more than what the average price is. I wouldn't even sell mine for $300, let alone $200. It's a keeper.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

"In reality they are a 150 to 175 dollar surplus firearm that shoots an odd bullet."

"...the P64 is, and should remain, a $200.00 gun on it's best day"

If you sell yours in the future someone is going to get a heck of a deal at those prices.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Curly1 wrote:"In reality they are a 150 to 175 dollar surplus firearm that shoots an odd bullet."

"...the P64 is, and should remain, a $200.00 gun on it's best day"

If you sell yours in the future someone is going to get a heck of a deal at those prices.
Oh I have no intention of selling mine. The point to this whole exercise was to prove out the factual basis for what I said first, I believe that like most commodities,
the price will go where we send it.
. How much has it been talked up already, $100.00, $150.00, $200.00?
I can imagine a perspective buyer standing and looking at a p64 and wondering how the price got to be three or four times what it's worth. I would like to see this little gem remain available to the average guy at a price that he can actually afford. These things want to be carried, shot, and had fun with. Not relegated to hanging on someone's wall or in their safe waiting for the highest bidder to come along. I made some of the statements that I made in order to draw some folks out and see what they were really thinking. It worked. Starting out with this community it seemed like a good group of folks who happened to own the same firearm and were willing to help with knowledge, parts, ect. and I believe it still is for the most part. Don't we have enough wall hangers and safe stuffers as it is? Or is this fine little sidearm going to become another victim of the God Almighty dollar? Sadly I imagine it will be the second.
Bill A

Post by Bill A »

wlockridge wrote:I believe that like most commodities, the price will go where we send it. My dad use to have a saying when I would pay too much for something just because I wanted it right at the moment and wasn't willing to wait until the initial "whatever the market will bear" price didn't fly and it was repriced to something more reasonable by means of a "BIG SALE". What he would say to me was "nice work son, you just screwed the next guy in line," Crude but you get the point. As Snailman said, there are a few, I would even submit that there are quite a few, that have been at Gander Mountain for over a year for $250.00. They are betting that these fine little firearms will become a collectors item and that they can crank the price up to yet another 100% or more over what they paid for them. The can afford to wait and see. Don't misunderstand, I love my little P64 but let's face it at the end of the day they ain't Colt Peacemakers, they're eastern bloc hand-me-downs. Most have to be reworked before you can even shoot them somewhat comfortably. Ammunition is next to impossible to find and when you do it's expensive, parts are hard to find and expensive as hell, and as far as I know they didn't win the West, freedom for Poland (or the 8 or 9 other countries that made them), and were never a weapon that because its design and reliability, were highly sought after by troops to carry onto the battlefield such as the first revolvers or lever action rifles were. They're curiosities hence the C&R designation. All of that being said, I would love to have another myself but it will be a cold day in hell before I give Gander Mountain, or anyone else for that matter, a penny more than $200.00 for one. I won't be "screwing the next guy in line" just to get one, they can keep them until they rust. In reality they are a 150 to 175 dollar surplus firearm that shoots an odd bullet. I can buy a Bursa Thunder 9mm for a buck fifty on a good day or a small frame Taurus 9mm with a lifetime warranty for a little over two hundred and they haven't been used, then smeared with cosmoline and then left lay in a leaky warehouse for twenty or thirty years.
1..Ammo is very easy to get,don't cost any more than other ammo.
2..They wasn't made in 8 or 9 different countrys, they were only made in Poland.
You say you made some statements "just to draw out the members of the board" I say you made some statements because you simply don't know any better!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

"parts are hard to find"

Yes some parts like the safety but there are parts on GB now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Small-Pistol-P ... ywords=p64
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary