Decocker Not Working

Info, pictures, advice...
rzP64

Decocker Not Working

Post by rzP64 »

Hi All,

I've checked in on this forum a few times since I got my P64 about 9 months ago, but am just now participating.

I just realized after watching some youtube videos on the P64 that the safety is also supposed to be a decocker...well turns out mine doesn't work. Though the gun works and fires great otherwise. Anybody ever run across that before?

Thanks
tai

Re: Decocker Not Working

Post by tai »

If yours is apparently like most, the SA trigger is near a hair-trigger.

A non-functioning decocker renders the firearm defective, and is more likely to result in a dangerous scenario. I would never want to drop the hammer using the trigger to decock unless the firearm were cleared first, and I, personally, would get it repaired asap.

The only possible 'safe' area to use the firearm in its present condition, if at all, would be at the range with firearm pointed downrange at all times.

If the 'safety' part of the decocker works, I'd still get it repaired to decock properly.

One might speculate that perhaps the previous owner did not like the decocker for some reason and caused it to be disabled, or perhaps the gun is defective. (There is reference to the breakage of the manual safety through use).

If a gun is equipped with a decocker/safety and part of it is rendered useless, I consider the firearm defective, for to carry it with one in the chamber you'd have to drop the hammer on a live round using the trigger. However, with the safety engaged and hammer down, see if when you cycle the action (without ammo) if the hammer remains down. In that case it might be safe to chamber a round but I think one is 'playing with fire' with gun in its present condition.

I always decock the empty firearm first, then chamber a round with the safety engaged. It's very safe and reassuring to know that you won't have a ND.

I will leave it to more experienced users of this pistol to comment if your pistol's condition is rare or common. I would think the former predominates, but I am just speculating.
Last edited by tai on February 16th, 2014, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

check your disconnector, and your safety to make sure they are not worn. Most likely you will just need a new disconnector. Search the forum there is lots of information on the disconnector. Main thing is that if you do need a new one it may need some fitting, but not much.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
tai

Post by tai »

This gentleman did not make it clear what was working and what was not, but I interpreted his post as the decocker was not working yet the safety was...that needs to be clarified...is it possible the decocker might not work but safety could work?

If the decocker is not working but the safety is working, I don't see how the disconnector is relevant. I thought the disconnector acted as the trigger bar block with the safety engaged.

Is the disconnector related to the decocking function of the firearm or trigger bar block or both???
I thought that it disconnected the hammer from the sear, hence the trigger goes limp with no tension.

Confused again....and I apologize if this post is inaccurate or of no benefit to OP or others :cry:
rzP64

Post by rzP64 »

Thanks for the replies.

The Safety certainly seems to be working. I cannot pull the trigger if it is engaged, and it comes up over the firing pin, so that if the hammer fell I'm sure it would not hit the firing pin. I just cannot decock the hammer using the safety... only by trigger and thumb.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

rzP64 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

The Safety certainly seems to be working. I cannot pull the trigger if it is engaged, and it comes up over the firing pin, so that if the hammer fell I'm sure it would not hit the firing pin. I just cannot decock the hammer using the safety... only by trigger and thumb.
Like I said it is most likely the disconnector. The disconnector serves two purposes here.

1) To prevent the weapon from firing out of battery.

2) To interact with the Safety in order to drop the Hammer.

If the second function is not working your disconnector is not working either due to it being worn, or the safety being worn. THIS IS NOT SAFE AT ALL!

Here there are pictures here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3202&start=15

and you can find a video here of how to replace it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4193

You can find more by searching it. The problem definitely lies in you disconnector.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

tai wrote:This gentleman did not make it clear what was working and what was not, but I interpreted his post as the decocker was not working yet the safety was...that needs to be clarified...is it possible the decocker might not work but safety could work?

If the decocker is not working but the safety is working, I don't see how the disconnector is relevant. I thought the disconnector acted as the trigger bar block with the safety engaged.

Is the disconnector related to the decocking function of the firearm or trigger bar block or both???
I thought that it disconnected the hammer from the sear, hence the trigger goes limp with no tension.

Confused again....and I apologize if this post is inaccurate or of no benefit to OP or others :cry:
Please stop!
Weasel

tai

Post by tai »

If you mean by your statement "I cannot pull the trigger if it is engaged" that you indeed can pull the trigger with safety engaged but it is loose (disconnected) and of no effect, perhaps your disconnector is not the problem.

When you say "and it comes up over the firing pin" I don't quite understand your meaning.

Hopefully, more seasoned and informed users of the firearm than I will chime in on these issues for you.
tai

Post by tai »

Weasel640 wrote:
tai wrote:This gentleman did not make it clear what was working and what was not, but I interpreted his post as the decocker was not working yet the safety was...that needs to be clarified...is it possible the decocker might not work but safety could work?

Please stop!
Okay, I am here to learn.
But you are not teaching or explaining much to me.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

tai wrote:
Weasel640 wrote:

Please stop!
Okay, I am here to learn.
But you are not teaching or explaining much to me.
His problem is clear. I understood ALL of what he was describing. The solution lies in identifying exactly why the disconnector is not working, and will most likely call for it's replacement.

I've posted a link that has detailed pictures on and a video of how they interact.

I've posted a link that has videos on replacing the disconnector.

I'm not here to teach. I am merely pointing in the right direction. All the information needed to fix the original problem is already out there. I am to busy to explain if not understood, someone else can.
Weasel

tai

Post by tai »

I tried watching a video of yours on Photobucket but it did not work.

That's fine I found out on my own from THENAGANTMAN his video on the P-64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09xu7rch-pE

About 6:30 in the video he demonstrates the disconnector
The disconnector has two positions and serves two functions:
1. First slightly down position disconnects trigger from the sear (loose trigger);
2. Second down position is engaged by cam of decocker on slide pressing disconnector further down
which causes hammer to drop.

I was incorrect as disconnector also applies to the hammer drop. That is why I posed the questions above.
rzP64

Post by rzP64 »

Thanks for the replies fellas. I appreciate it.

I had never heard of a disconnector before. Nor have I really worked on guns, but looking at the info you provided I think I will give fixing it a try.

Thanks again.