double action trigger weight.

Info, pictures, advice...
6thcav

double action trigger weight.

Post by 6thcav »

I think I would like to make this p64 my "ccw" trigger pull in d a is way to heavy.Feels like 20lbs,I understand there springs to help this? Can you advise the spring values #wise to use? Not having fired it I assume that after the 1st round,that it returns to battery? How much will the springs help? Also why replace the main spring? I understand the power of this round is greater than .380, and somewhere around .38 special. Please advise,thanks in advance 6THCAV
jacklove44

Re: double action trigger weight.

Post by jacklove44 »

Here at our gun shop we refurbish the P-64 to like new condition. We also replace the hammer spring with a Wolff 17lb and the recoil spring with a Wolff 22lb. The new springs accomplish two things. First, it makes the double action much smoother and lighter and the heavier recoil spring helps absorb some of the felt recoil. These are about the only things the non-gunsmith should attempt. We do a lot of other things to help the trigger pull, but they involve honing and stoning the hammer and sear and should NOT be attempted by the novice.
Hope this helps
Jack
Jack's Guns
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

Some use the 17lb mainspring, others the 18lb. The spring powers the hammer & also the magazine catch. On some guns, the 17 is too light & the mag may fall out. The hammer stays cocked after the 1st shot & is much lighter. Sometimes when you change the mainspring, you get a very light trigger. Wolff makes calibration packs for the recoil springs. It contains 18, 20 & 22 lb recoil spring. The Hammer Spring pack contains 18, 19 & 20 lb. You can then try each to see which works best & makes the gun reliable. Here's the link for the springs. http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?pag ... 49&dID=196
bembry

Post by bembry »

With the new springs, my P-64's DA trigger is nice---like CZ-82 nice.

SA is hair trigger though...not sure what it was like before--the gun had new springs put in immediately before it was shipped to me.
My 9x18s:
Radom P-64
CZ-82
Bulgarian PM
FEG PA-63
P83 "Wanad"
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

jacklove44 wrote:Here at our gun shop we refurbish the P-64 to like new condition. We also replace the hammer spring with a Wolff 17lb and the recoil spring with a Wolff 22lb. The new springs accomplish two things. First, it makes the double action much smoother and lighter and the heavier recoil spring helps absorb some of the felt recoil. These are about the only things the non-gunsmith should attempt. We do a lot of other things to help the trigger pull, but they involve honing and stoning the hammer and sear and should NOT be attempted by the novice.
Hope this helps
Jack
Jack's Guns
What kind of poundage have you shaved off by stoning the sear and hammer?
Sowa

Post by Sowa »

I thought the sear spring was responsible for the SA trigger pull weight. The DA pull needs fixing (lightening) but the SA is perfect as is
Sowa

Post by Sowa »

This damn little gun needs alot of work in order to bring it forward into the realm of "useful" but once all the extra work is done this will be an extremely nice ccw
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

If replacing 1 spring is "alot of work" then I'd hate to think how much work you think changing a magazine is.
Sowa

Post by Sowa »

Snailman read the above post carefully I said this pistol needs alot of work to be a great firearm. I suggest rebarreling it lightening not just the mainspring but the slide lever spring as well, refinishing the blue, increasing the mag cap, buffing the feed ramp and making a new hammer all together. Don't get me wrong I'm in love with this pistol I think its incredible in its imperfection and want to make it all that it can be.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Sowa wrote:Snailman read the above post carefully I said this pistol needs alot of work to be a great firearm. I suggest rebarreling it lightening not just the mainspring but the slide lever spring as well, refinishing the blue, increasing the mag cap, buffing the feed ramp and making a new hammer all together. Don't get me wrong I'm in love with this pistol I think its incredible in its imperfection and want to make it all that it can be.
I didn't get any of that context from your post; this thread was about reducing DA pull weight, which led to the natural discussion of replacing the hammer spring.

The other stuff may be things your particular gun needs? When you used the phrase "this gun" it implied all instances of the P64 model, not just "your" firearm. None of the P64's I've ever seen in person (and there have been a few at various shops around here) looked like they needed rebluing, the barrels looked pristine, and the action worked just fine. DA is notoriously difficult if not impossible, and the hammer spring alone solves that problem.
bembry

Post by bembry »

snailman153624 wrote: None of the P64's I've ever seen in person (and there have been a few at various shops around here) looked like they needed rebluing, the barrels looked pristine...
Agreed. I consider my P-64 the best made of my 9x18s. Additionally, the bluing is spectacular for a COMBLOC surplus firearm.
My 9x18s:
Radom P-64
CZ-82
Bulgarian PM
FEG PA-63
P83 "Wanad"
allentownernie

Post by allentownernie »

I must chime in a little on this subject. I have changed my hammer spring to 18 lbs and the trigger in single and double action is just fine. My safety worked a little too hard and when I took it apart the spring and detent rod were put in backwards. I changed that and it works easier. The bluing on my pistol is almost perfect and looks almost new. The chromed barrel is pristine. What a great pistol, its a shame but the supply seems to have dried up. I must add I also have a P-83 although not as pretty a pistol as the P-64 it is also a fine shooter without changing anything. I have my gun about 5 years and I paid $159 bucks plus shipping. What a bargain. I think those days are gone forever.
jb1911

Post by jb1911 »

allentownernie wrote: September 21st, 2013, 4:31 pm I must chime in a little on this subject. I have changed my hammer spring to 18 lbs and the trigger in single and double action is just fine. My safety worked a little too hard and when I took it apart the spring and detent rod were put in backwards. I changed that and it works easier. The bluing on my pistol is almost perfect and looks almost new. The chromed barrel is pristine. What a great pistol, its a shame but the supply seems to have dried up. I must add I also have a P-83 although not as pretty a pistol as the P-64 it is also a fine shooter without changing anything. I have my gun about 5 years and I paid $159 bucks plus shipping. What a bargain. I think those days are gone forever.
The P64 is a real jewel as far as build quality. The P83 looks like someone made it in their basement with a file and a hand drill.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Careful now. Some of us have built some pretty nice shooters in the basement with a file and a hand drill! :)
jb1911

Post by jb1911 »

I settled on the original recoil spring and 19# hammer spring. The single action pull was too light with the 18# spring. Every shooter and every P64 is different. Pretty deep, huh?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.