Favorite 9x18mm Mak ammo...

Info, pictures, advice...
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

What's everyone's favorite Makarov ammo for general use (FMJ or HP)??? My personal favorite was the old Hungarian MFS FMJ ammo for the Mak... Haven't been able to find any in several years now... Shot incredibly well out of my Mak... My current favorite is the PS Grand FMJ ammo from Slovakia... Feeds good and is plenty accurate out of both my Russian Makarov and my P-64s...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I have only used Wolf ammo on a regular basis because it was the lowest price. I do like the S&B ammo and have shot, maybe, one box of it. Actually, I could not tell much difference in the accuracy of either brand.

"xelloss", I have never heard of the PS Grand FMJ, who sells this?
cz83

Post by cz83 »

I like Fiochi and S&B but now leaning toward Wolf and Silver Bear ammo. I only use them for casual plinking anyways.
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

"xelloss", I have never heard of the PS Grand FMJ, who sells this?
abwehr, I'm not sure who's currently importing it, but I get it at a local gunshop for relatively cheap (about $5-6 for a box of 50)... It's brass-cased and boxer primed so I don't mind spending more than on the Russian stuff... Much cleaner burning powder too, which means cleaning the gun takes a lot less time... I've had really good luck with it in both my Makarov and my P-64s... Plus, how often do you find stuff made in Slovakia, of all places, lol... ;D ;D ;D

Somewhere I've still got a few 16-round boxes of original Russian military Makarov ammo, loaded at Tula... I'll probably never fire that stuff again, though, as it's impossible to find anymore...

-Mark
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

I like the S & B FMJ over the Russian stuff. I think that is Czech.
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

I like the S & B FMJ over the Russian stuff. I think that is Czech.
mikethewreck, yep, S&B is manufactured in the Czech Republic... ;) ;) ;)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I really like the S&B ammo! Most of my 5.56mm ammo for the AR15 is S&B, and I have no complaints about it.
mongo

Post by mongo »

Any of the Barnaul stuff.

I carry Silverbear though, don't trust those laquer cases.
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

i shoot whatever is lowest price at the time --- best place for bargains is final day of any local guin shows. no frieght, no sales tax... High frieght spoils internet and catalogue buys. I got 500 brownbear at gun show last weekend for us$55.00--- he was asking $60 but let it go rather than pack up and take back.Anything (except corrosive) as long as it goes BANG and hits the target. fjb
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Out of a milsurp, I'll shoot anything - corrosive and all! I recieved my order the other day and now have a box of Wolf and a box of Blazer to go throw down range. We'll see...
saands

Post by saands »

Mine? 95gr Hornady XTPHP over Vihtavuori N350 in a starline case ... out of the P64, thats 1200 fps and just over 300 ft-lbs at 5 yds ;D

For plinking I like what's cheap, although I also do some of the above handloads with a third less powder that go 675 fps and are nice and mild in the recoil department.

Saands
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

saands, WOW!!! Vihtavouri is good (but HOT) stuff... I'm a big fan of their powder line (of course, it's Finnish, so it's cool ;) ;D ;D)... What do those rounds achieve out of a Pistolet Makarova??? 8-) 8-) 8-)
saands

Post by saands »

They say that some barrels are "faster" than others ... I've always seemed to have the slower ones. Strangely enough, my p64 must be the exception as it gives almost exactly the same numbers as my PM ... The PM, however WILL allow for 0.3 gr more powder without showing any case bulge. I think that this is mostly due to the heavier slide taking a few more milliseconds to travel back. If I were only loading for the PM, I could get 1260 fps (335 ft-lbs) out of it, but those rounds produce a SERIOUS bulge if they get into the p64, so I settle for the p64 loads on both platforms.

Saands