Wolff 18 and 22lb

Info, pictures, advice...
shabbs

Wolff 18 and 22lb

Post by shabbs »

I've had my 1974 Triangle hammer P64 for 3 years. The double action as it came was unusable.
I shot it a bunch and it didn't improve so finally last week I ordered the 18lb main and 22lb recoil Wolff springs. I just finished swapping them out.Heads up, Wolff recoil springs still need to be ground flat on the ends. My trigger is now shootable but still pretty damn stiff. I'm gonna thin and round off the trigger a little to help my finger a bit. Still have to live fire but dry fire is improved. I've handled P64s that had good double actions from the factory but mine wasn't one of them. I also have to break the edges on the grip area of the frame. That square shoulder really bothers the only 2 fingers I fit on the grip. I have Glocks and revolvers but I like the flatness of the p64 for easy carry. For the $139 I paid, it's a lot of gun. I'm considering getting a 17lb main to see if it will help the trigger a little more and reliably ignite primers while hopefully not puking out the magazine.
That's my deal.

Cheers
snailman153624

Re: Wolff 18 and 22lb

Post by snailman153624 »

I would also suggest polishing (very carefully) any burrs or galling that may be present in the trigger mechanism.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

I have the 17lb hammer and it makes SA a hair trigger but no other problems.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Welcome. I have 18 and 22 respectively and you are absolutely correct, If you don't grind the ends flat on the 22lb spring it's near impossible to get it together and, if you're lucky enough to get it together, you'll have a hell of a time getting it apart. I tried the 17lb trigger spring and got a few light strikes aka it didn't go boom. I carry mine for defence purposes and failure to go boom is not an option. I put the 18lb spring back in and started coating everything in the trigger mechanism with Lucas assembly lube. It contains moly and zink among other things and really smooths things out after a couple hundred rounds. That might be something for you to think about but use it SPARINGLY. It doesn't take much. I used it the first 10 times or so that I cleaned it and now I just clean and oil it normally except for one drop of Lucas on each side of the slide rails. Mine was bought never issued (fired) and it took a good soaking in kerosene to get the cosmoline out of if mind you but that stuff really smoothed things out. The stiff DA trigger isn't really that much of an issue for me anyway. I was a policeman for 20+ years and always carried a revolver so it's somewhat natural for me to cock my weapon as I draw it from the holster but I still wanted it to be the best it could be. Oh well, again, welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of good people on here with a LOT of knowledge about your weapon which I consider to be one of the best autoloaders I ever shot.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Wiki

Post by Wiki »

When you replaced the factory hammer spring did you also replace the firing pin spring? The hammer spring should have come with a matched lighter firing spring pin. This takes a few minutes but with 2 pair of forceps and a punch or alen wrench it can be done easily.
I have about 300-500 rounds through my 64's with no problem with the 22-17 combo.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Wiki wrote:When you replaced the factory hammer spring did you also replace the firing pin spring? The hammer spring should have come with a matched lighter firing spring pin. This takes a few minutes but with 2 pair of forceps and a punch or alen wrench it can be done easily.
I have about 300-500 rounds through my 64's with no problem with the 22-17 combo.
This is NOT true!

Let's not confuse the two sets of springs in the P-64. The Hammer spring does NOT come with anything else. The Recoil spring package includes an extra power firing pin spring.

Check the Wolff site:
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?pag ... D=1&mID=49
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Actually when I bought my hammer springs I got a set of 18#. 20#, and 22# springs.I still have the extras in the safe. Maybe a fluke I don't know but I bought the recoil springs and the hammer springs separately. It was called a "calibration kit". I don't mean to argue with you Weasel and certainly mean no disrespect as I"m certain you've forgotten more about theses weapons than I'll ever know but that's just how mine came.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
jabski

Post by jabski »

I put the 22 pound recoil spring in mind just last week. I can take the slide off and reinstall it all day long. No problems whatsoever.
jabski

Post by jabski »

Stupid phone…
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

wlockridge wrote:Actually when I bought my hammer springs I got a set of 18#. 20#, and 22# springs.I still have the extras in the safe. Maybe a fluke I don't know but I bought the recoil springs and the hammer springs separately. It was called a "calibration kit". I don't mean to argue with you Weasel and certainly mean no disrespect as I"m certain you've forgotten more about theses weapons than I'll ever know but that's just how mine came.
Bill
I'll say it again then; The Hammer spring does NOT come with anything else. The pak you are referring to is the "Hammer Spring Pak" and yes it does have 1 each of 18, 19, & 20 Lb hammer springs. But that is IT, NO firing pin spring. The reason they sell it in a pack like that is so people can try the different hammer spring weights to see what they like best.

I just wanted to specify the firing pin springs only come with the Recoil springs, NOT the hammer springs. Saying otherwise might confuse someone.

Check the web sight the Hammer Spring Pak is at the bottom:
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?pag ... D=1&mID=49
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.