Anyone ever have a Physician ask them if they own a firearm?

Info, pictures, advice...
snailman153624

Anyone ever have a Physician ask them if they own a firearm?

Post by snailman153624 »

...had a pediatrician's nurse ask that, along with other medically irrelevant questions (i.e. "What language do you speak at home?"), the other day, and told her I refuse to answer questions not relevant to my kid's health. Scary thing is I saw them write the answers down on some form, which means it goes in a medical record somewhere, and sent to who knows where.

What gives? Any of you ever been asked this by a physician/pediatrician? In doing some digging, the AAP (American Association of Pediatrics) actually recommends that doctors push to have their patients get rid of their guns!

Offering general info on gun safety around kids is one thing, but asking if I own one (and WRITING IT IN THE MEDICAL RECORD) is going waaay too far. I'm also pretty sure the average doctor probably knows next to nothing about firearms, and really shouldn't be doling out advice on how to unload and store them.

Considering finding a new doctor, but I'd like to hear your guys' n' gals' thoughts.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Anyone ever have a Physician ask them if they own a fire

Post by Curly1 »

No I have not seen nor heard any of those types of questions to which will be answered "non of your damn bidness" if ever asked.

It may be a state enforced invasion of privacy.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

Yes, pediatricians are keeping records on gun owners and have taken a national anti-gun position. guns=endangerment of children.
Gordyf

Post by Gordyf »

Wake up you guys. This is all about Obama Care! Soon your records will be public knowledge.
The NRA and others have been telling us about it for a while!
It is not about Gun control, It is about control. Soon there will be no secrets.

Aloha
Gordy
Totenglocke

Post by Totenglocke »

From what I've seen on various news sites, this is part of Obamacare and the whole "national digital medical records" deal. Rest assured, it's primary purpose is to create an off-the-books gun registry. My mom is rather anti-gun but my dad carries and she flat out said that if her doctor asks if they own a gun, she'll lie because it'll be used for registration and (likely) eventually confiscation.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I'm greatly saddened by how far this country seems to have fallen in the past decade...it really is sickening. I always thought this kind of crap really only happened in the "liberal mecca" loony dumps; but I live in the midwest.

Gordy, I think many folks are "awake" but are pretty powerless to do anything. Everyone's answer always seems to be go sue somebody, but I think many folks in this country are losing faith in the checks/balances actually doing anything to stop this insanity.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

I've heard the VA is asking the same kind of questions.
I'll find out next month when I go for my physical.
Guess what answer I'll give them.
Denny
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

obama care question. get ready for it. just another way to do gun control.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

I tell the truth - a gun is an artillery launcher with more than so many calibers in length. I don't own any of those and say so.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Yes, I've been asked. "Firearms are a leading cause of death and injury among children, do you have any firearms in the home?"

I lied and said, "no" and then followed up with, "we don't have a swimming pool either, and our children are always properly restrained when in a motor vehicle which, according to CDC, Department of Health, and many other studies are the number one and number two leading causes of death and injury among children, surpassing injuries by firearm by at least two orders of magnitude." For this, I was rewarded with a dumb look because there were no questions about swimming pools or auto safety restraints on their questionnaire.

Try it some time.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Apparently swimming pools and vehicles are not evil.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

those damb swimming pools... actually, my neighbor, is a surgeon. i talked him into going shooting with me last year... he absolutly loved it. (a good shot too, i may add. expecially for a first timer.)

he's looking to buy a pistol / hand gun for home security, but wants to take a class first. smart dude.

he's never shot a gun in his life, but after an hour with me, he's a believer. he was just uninformed about firearms.

he actually told me he wanted to purchase an AR-15 along with the pistol because "it would be easier for my wife to use."

as long as they are safe and informed, that would be awesome.

that's what's wrong now days, more and more people are growing up in households without firearems. they are told they are bad, evil, and they should stay away from them, instead of teaching safety and responsability.

one person at a time i guess... :-)
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
magnum42069

Post by magnum42069 »

Obamacare. Nuff said.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

I'm using the cannoner definition.... I think it's an artillery piece with a barrel with more than nine calibers of length.

I like my Physician but do not think my gun ownership is his concern. So I fudge it.