Problems wit a P64...1917...pink and black

Info, pictures, advice...
drunkenjack

Problems wit a P64...1917...pink and black

Post by drunkenjack »

p64.jpg
Hello Everyone...First post on the forum...
I got this P64 for my wife who fell in love with it after seeing it....Pink and black...
Took it to the range and found out it has several problems...

1, The safety has no problem staying in the non firing position...When it is raised to the firing position...one or 2 shots can be fired then the safety flops down to the safe position. This always happens.

2, The trigger pull is difficult for her...she gets it 3/4 back and can not get it back all the way to fire.

3, Its difficult to rack...In all honesty, I have a hard time racking it...

If anyone can give advice on how to fix these problems or what parts should be worked on or replaced... it would sure be a help...thanks in advance.
MakAttack

Re: Problems wit a P64...1917...pink and black

Post by MakAttack »

Gotta' be the color. That's my best guess.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Trigger pull can be helped by adding a lighter spring but the SA trigger pull will be very light even to the point of a hair trigger.

Someone may have already put a heavier recoil spring on it already. You can get lighter springs at Wolff springs.

There is a post and vid on how to replace the hammer spring viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5074&sid=c79f59ce2a ... 4cd49685It

As far as the safety dropping you can start troubleshooting using this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2121&p=24204&sid=c7 ... 685#p24204

Let us know how you make out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
drunkenjack

Post by drunkenjack »

Thanks Curly for the info...I see that it has happened to others...
And... I guess it wasn't the pink color as MakAttack has said...I was ready to spray paint it orange...
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Also keep in mind if you put a lighter recoil spring in the felt recoil with be harsher. I would not suggest that.

Instead consider changing how you pull the slide. Many people forget that they have two hands/arms to use for this. While pulling the slide with the left hand you can also push out/away with the right gripping hand. This method makes it allot easier two manipulate a stiff slide.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Weasel640 wrote:Also keep in mind if you put a lighter recoil spring in the felt recoil with be harsher. I would not suggest that.

Instead consider changing how you pull the slide. Many people forget that they have two hands/arms to use for this. While pulling the slide with the left hand you can also push out/away with the right gripping hand. This method makes it allot easier two manipulate a stiff slide.
No offense, but do you have any actual evidence that this is the case (regarding the lighter recoil spring and felt recoil)?

In my experience, the recoil spring needs to be matched to the type of ammo you're using..."hot" +P loads need stiffer springs.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Some folks have commented they felt no difference in recoil going to a heavier spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
drunkenjack

Post by drunkenjack »

Thanks everyone for you answers...

Weasel...Thanks ...I kinda forgot racking it your way...It made it much easier for me but unfortunately she still couldn't rack it...

I was looking at the spring...couldn't the spring just be cut and shortened a bit and then stretched to its original size to make racking easier?
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Make sure you have the recoil spring on the right way...small end around the base of the barrel, large end at the tip of the barrel.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

snailman153624 wrote:No offense, but do you have any actual evidence that this is the case (regarding the lighter recoil spring and felt recoil)?

In my experience, the recoil spring needs to be matched to the type of ammo you're using..."hot" +P loads need stiffer springs.
I shoot allot and yes the recoil spring does equate to felt recoil. I can feel the difference between the springs. Also I have several friends that have shot my P-64s both stock and heavier springs. They all can tell the difference as well.

As far as evidence goes; when you are discussing something "felt" that is some ones perception. To measure that you'd have to take a controlled survey of shooters. So no there is not proof that I know of. However Wolff does sell a decent amount of heavier recoil springs. Also other people on here will agree that it does effect felt recoil. Some people notice a difference, some people don't.

But if someone is have trouble racking a slide, they are also going to have trouble with the recoil from the P-64. So I would not do anything that would make the recoil worse. In this case, although I don't like them I'd even recommend the rubber slip on grips.
drunkenjack wrote:Thanks everyone for you answers...

Weasel...Thanks ...I kinda forgot racking it your way...It made it much easier for me but unfortunately she still couldn't rack it...

I was looking at the spring...couldn't the spring just be cut and shortened a bit and then stretched to its original size to make racking easier?
DO NOT try to modify the spring like that. That would probably be the fastest way to cause damage to your P-64 and possibly the shooter.

As far as the grip goes she may just need something like a shooting glove on her supporting hand so she can get a better grip on the slide.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Vunder

Post by Vunder »

I also modified my grasp when racking the slide on my P-64 & my CZ-82 after changing to heavier springs. Instead of gripping the back of the slide with my thumb & index fingers, I grip it in the middle with my hand side ways. Remember to let the slide go back on it's own, they feed better that way.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 do not messs with the spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
drunkenjack

Post by drunkenjack »

This is my first P64...I have a Russian and a Bulgy Mak...So... I am not familiar with its safety features...
Would this problem child be safe for her to carry already racked with one in the chamber with the safety on...I am concerned with her accidently dropping it... etc...
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

As much as I love the P-64, and it is my concealed carry gun; In this case I would strongly suggest that she carry some other gun that she can fully manipulate.
drunkenjack wrote:This is my first P64...I have a Russian and a Bulgy Mak...So... I am not familiar with its safety features...
Would this problem child be safe for her to carry already racked with one in the chamber with the safety on...I am concerned with her accidently dropping it... etc...
Yes, that would be perfectly fine. The decocker/safety on the P-64 does just that. It decocks the hammer as it blocks and holds the firing pin at the same time. The firing pin actually has a little nub or detent on it's side that the safety grabs onto. When the decocker/safety is engaged the firing pin will not move. You can see pictures of how the firing pin and safety interact in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4809&p=45895#p45895

I would never advise anyone to carry not loaded. If you don't already have one in the chamber, well in my field we call that a "dead man's gun". However in your original post you did not mention this was going to be a carry gun for her. That said there are several issues that need to be worked out before you even consider her carrying it.

Of course the first issue was the malfunction; Curly posted you a link on how to fix that, there are several other good posts on here about that issue. It's an easy fix. Here are some other threads to help you on it:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5148&p=48142#p48142
Good pic of bad spring: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1045&p=4955#p4955
Good pic of bad detent: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1045&p=43843#p43843
Don't go buying Walther parts, the safety detent and spring are available. On Gun Broker, laukart has them brand new. He does not have them listed at the moment but I'm sure he has them, you can email him here: sklep@laukart.pl or watch his listings here: http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... ers=467151

The second issue was the trigger; The link Curly gave you was a pretty good one. Just keep in mind the lighter you go, the more of a "hair" single action the trigger will be. I would not suggest anything lighter than the 18lb one.

Once the above issues are worked out; the third is going to be most important and will take the longest to work on. If the P-64 is going to be a carry gun, the shooter must be able to fully operate it. If not, then you need to really consider something else to carry! She needs to practice ALL the functions of the gun. The best/safest way to do this without damaging the P-64 is with a mag loaded with snap caps. For each snap cap have her practice loading it (racking the slide/chambering a round), moving the decocker/safety to fire, and firing it while holding the sights on a target. If you are helping her you can load the snap caps (as they are ejected) into a second magazine so she can use that one to practice reloading at slide lock.

This all needs to be one fluid motion before she even consider carrying this P-64. When seconds count, the muscle memory will take over. If she has not mastered the full function of the weapon, then seconds will become minutes, minutes will become hours and it will be all over. Simply having a round in the chamber is not the answer to ones inability to manipulate the slide. What happens if she gets a dud, or failure to feed, etc? If she's mastered the above practice, muscle memory will almost seamlessly correct it.
Weasel

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Operate the safety with the slide off and you can see that it blocks the firing pin so if dropped on the hammer it won't go off.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary